StromTrooper banner

Please help! Need Price Check on a 2012 Adventure w/6k miles

2K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  bandroidx 
#1 ·
Hi All,

My search continues to buy my first V-Strom. After a couple moves towards 2011 bikes and a 2012 which were sold before I could pull the trigger, I've decided that I'd really like focus on a 2012+ model. I've found one that looks like a decent deal to me and has all the farkles already in place. Please let me know what you think of the asking price and what a fair offer would be.

2012 V-Strom, just under 5K miles @ $7400

Nothing wrong mechanically or cosmetically
Never dropped or ridden off road.
All scheduled maintenance done w/records
Farkles that I can see: crash bars, tool tube, 12v outlet, handlebar risers, hand guards, suzuki top and side cases w/liners, skid plate, adjustable windscreen extension thingy on the primary windscreen, and maybe a couple more that I just don't know what they're called.

What do you guys think of the asking price? Good price? Too high? It's over my budget and I'd have to travel to pick it up, so I'd really like to stay under $7000 if I could and was thinking of throwing out $6700-6800 as an offer since it'll cost me another few hundred in travel expenses.

Thoughts?

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
sidecases, crash bar, windscreen are all standard "adventure" package items. skid plate is nice, so are risers. i honestly think its about right, maybe a little high.

#3 ·
I think 6800-$7200 is a reasonable price for it. $7400 isn't too crazy either. You'd spend more than that on purchasing the farkles: $350-$500 for bags $300-$400 for skid plate and engine guards, $200-300 for hand guards, risers, outlet and tool tube. Maybe $90 for a madstad bracket. All farkles MOST of us purchase with the bike or after having it a while. That's $800-$1200 of farkles...

I think it's worth it...

#7 · (Edited)
The price is more than fair. Just the top case with the hardware is over $500.
The leftover 2012 models at the dealers are good option, but be ready to pay around extra $500 for some BS crap+tax. Just picked up with friend 2012 WEE leftover, listed for 6799, out of the door came at 7800 basic naked bike, hungry for more $$$$$
Your call.

#9 ·
This is the dealer I bought my 2013 from. I bought my 2013 over the winter, I wish I waited, they've dropped prices since. They didn't have any fees other than $175 for setup. The rest were standard tax, title, and tag. I do know the 2012 is not eligible for the 0%

#10 ·
Hi All,

Thanks for the feedback. It sounds like the asking price is somewhat fair and an offer of 6800 to around 7000 would be a deal. New would be great, but I haven't run across any new 2012's left over around here and 2013's are in the $7600-8000 range plus miscellaneous fees. The $7299 deals sounds excellent, but I'd still have to pay the $175 fee, which is better than around here, but purchasing the additional farkles that are already installed on the used one would really bust my budget.

I think the farkled used one is the way to go for me. It's pretty much turnkey and the only thing I think I'd want to add to it right off would be the fork brace, which isn't too bad as far as extra money to spend.

I'll throw an offer at the seller and see where things end up.

Thanks!

#12 ·
Hi All,

Well, I threw out an initial offer of $6800 at him and his response was basically a polite way of saying "No F'in Way!" and then told me what $$ he was into the bike for already with all of the added farkles. He didn't make a counter offer or anything so I get the feeling he's going to be pretty firm on the price.

I think I'll ask if he'll at least meet me halfway and see what happens. If not then I may just have to walk away.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.