Newbe questions - - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 Old 04-21-2014, 05:38 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Newbe questions -

Hi guys I am new to the forum and also new owner of used DL V-Strom 650 2011, model year 2012. I was not a biker before and I am not really a technical guy but now that I got it I have so many questions about this bike and new ones are erupting daily. That's why I started this threat. I hope your experience and expertise will help me with my situation.
Thanks
  • Why is it called glee?
  • I noticed while driving approx. @80km/h without hands front wheel starts vibrating, should I be worried? What could be cause or is it normal?
  • When cleaning the bike I noticed dents in exhaust should this be sanitized?(pic 1&2)
  • I have also noticed some weird stuff is this OK?? Is it a part used from another bike?(pics 3,4,5)

Its late now here across the pond I'll post some more later.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 04-21-2014, 06:38 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitehead View Post
Hi guys I am new to the forum and also new owner of used DL V-Strom 650 2011, model year 2012. I was not a biker before and I am not really a technical guy but now that I got it I have so many questions about this bike and new ones are erupting daily. That's why I started this threat. I hope your experience and expertise will help me with my situation.
Thanks
  • Why is it called glee?
  • I noticed while driving approx. @80km/h without hands front wheel starts vibrating, should I be worried? What could be cause or is it normal?
  • When cleaning the bike I noticed dents in exhaust should this be sanitized?(pic 1&2)
  • I have also noticed some weird stuff is this OK?? Is it a part used from another bike?(pics 3,4,5)

Its late now here across the pond I'll post some more later.

• Why is it called glee?
    The nicknames came about to separate model generations & capacity. Because the new 650 shares the same engine as the SVF650 Gladius, some people combined this with Wee (nickname for old 650) and came up with a ridiculous new nickname. It is not official and in fact many people (myself included) detest the use of the name
    It could be as simple as the wheel needing rebalancing, or abnormal tyre wear. It could be steering head bearings, but unlikely in a new bike. Get it checked at a licensed mechanic. Or don't take your hands of the bars at 80km/h :mrgreen:
    They are there from the factory. Nothing to worry about.
    As mentioned, the engine carries over from the SVF650 Gladius, and those mounting points were designed for that bikes lower cowling.It is also used as a mounting point for the GIVI alloy bash plate.
RP3101 Alloy Bash Plate | A Pair of Stroms

Cheers

Last edited by zedex9r; 04-21-2014 at 06:41 PM.
post #3 of 24 Old 04-21-2014, 07:12 PM

Zed might be referring to the gasket parts dangling out there - like the wrong gasket was used.
I'm new, too so I don't know.

As for GLEE - WTF? I HATE it. Need a better name.

post #4 of 24 Old 04-21-2014, 08:52 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Glee=WeeII
post #5 of 24 Old 04-21-2014, 09:43 PM
DRD
Stromthusiast!

Those are defiantly not factory dents

DRD

2013 Blue DL650
post #6 of 24 Old 04-21-2014, 10:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by adidasguy View Post
Zed might be referring to the gasket parts dangling out there - like the wrong gasket was used.
I'm new, too so I don't know.

As for GLEE - WTF? I HATE it. Need a better name.
The gasket is normal, no need to worry about that.

MY BIKE:

From Suzuki Tech manual:
post #7 of 24 Old 04-21-2014, 10:29 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRD View Post
Those are defiantly not factory dents
There are a lot of recesses and "squashed" bits of the OEM exhaust that can be confused for dents. Looking at these pics they appear to be just those.

If the OP is still not sure, take it to your local Suzuki shop to get it checked out, or better yet ditch the stock exhaust and put a better one on!!

Some pics of my stock OEM exhaust, brand new:

Cheers
post #8 of 24 Old 04-22-2014, 08:24 AM
Stromthusiast!

All your other questions have been answered so I will address the dents in the exhaust. I can't tell from your pictures exactly where those dents are, but assuming they are on a low hanging area that was hit buy rocks or such, it's fine. The header on my 2007 is pinched almost half shut from a rock, it still flows an acceptable volume and there is no problem. Your dents look small compared to mine. I would make no effort to repair them.

Also, Glee is a stupid name and I hate it. It's a 2012 V-Strom 650.
post #9 of 24 Old 04-22-2014, 09:13 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeefZah View Post
Also, Glee is a stupid name and I hate it. It's a 2012 V-Strom 650.
Not sure if this hatred some guys have towards the name glee has to do with not wanting their bikes to be associated with the TV show, or if they had bad experiences as children being forced to sing stupid songs in glee club. Maybe they don't like it because it's synonymous with happiness, delight, gay , etc. I happen to think it's a great name for our bikes. My bike makes me very happy!
post #10 of 24 Old 04-22-2014, 12:20 PM
Stromthusiast!

I like the TV show, actually.

'Glee' does not sound adventurous, it sounds like a whimsical fairy whirling around.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode