Givi V46 back pad - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 04-18-2014, 09:45 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Givi V46 back pad

I bought the Givi V46 top case and back pad as my wife will be riding a lot. The back pad protrudes out quite a bit and is not comfortable at all?? It's pokey as my wife says. Anyone get this same complaint or have a fix? Thinking about pulling the cover off and shaving the foam down flatter but that may make the cover not fit great. Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 04-18-2014, 10:18 AM
bps
Stromthusiast!

My wife hated the back pad on the Givi I had on my ST1300, so I replaced it with a Mustang back pad (used a cruiser model) and she was much happier. I used a hinge to mount the mustang back pad so the Givi box could still be opened.

I have a V46 on my DL650 now, and knowing she wouldn't like the back pad, I didn't get one and figured I'd put another back rest on it like before. But she has been okay without a pad so far (her jacket does have padding).

I've also talked to others who've had issues with the Givi pad (and I use that term loosely), so you are not alone.

2013 Suzuki DL650
Farkles: Givi V46, V35 and racks, Rox riser, Madstad brackets and screen, Givi crash bars, tank pad, Rick's fork brace, mirror extenders, Side stand plate, and Auxiliary shelf, Augustus deflectors, Seat Concepts, Givi Skid Plate, Enduro Guardian Highway pegs, Wolfman Explorer Lite tank bag, Barkbusters VPS
IBA # 35452
2003 Honda ST1300 Sold
1999 Suzuki Marauder Sold
post #3 of 12 Old 04-18-2014, 11:10 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bps View Post
My wife hated the back pad on the Givi I had on my ST1300, so I replaced it with a Mustang back pad (used a cruiser model) and she was much happier. I used a hinge to mount the mustang back pad so the Givi box could still be opened.

I have a V46 on my DL650 now, and knowing she wouldn't like the back pad, I didn't get one and figured I'd put another back rest on it like before. But she has been okay without a pad so far (her jacket does have padding).

I've also talked to others who've had issues with the Givi pad (and I use that term loosely), so you are not alone.
Guess I may be stuck with it. Might try to sell it as the dealer won't take it back I don't think. Guess I will be looking in to other options. Her jacket works fine for cooler days but warm days without a jacket I think she will want something.

post #4 of 12 Old 04-18-2014, 12:58 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

I think I am going to just buy a garden kneeling pad and attach it with some double sided tape. It's black and waterproof and 3/4" thick soft foam. Should suffice.
post #5 of 12 Old 04-19-2014, 08:58 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

So I have been trying to get creative. The dealer will not return the back pad. Oh well. Not sure if I can sell it or not. I'm thinking about pulling the cover and padding off, using the already formed plastic back and spray adhesive some waterproof foam to it. Or just spray adhesive the foam directly to case. Anyone try this yet?? I can find some 1" thick waterproof foam for under $20. Cut to size and attach. May not be exactly the prettiest but what else is there??
post #6 of 12 Old 04-20-2014, 05:21 AM
Stromthusiast!

I tried the double sided tape on a piece of foam and it didn't work for me. The tape just let go when the case heated up in the sun. Others might have better luck (or better tape!).

My wife is very particular about her comfort so she straps a small pillow to the case. It looks a little stupid but she likes it, and that's all that's important.
post #7 of 12 Old 04-20-2014, 08:50 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Yeah the case is not smooth so I'm thinking that will not work. But, if I use the plastic piece that is on the givi pad that makes a smooth surface to attach a pad to. I'm thinking extra strong spray adhesive though!

Last edited by Matthew6279; 04-20-2014 at 08:59 AM.
post #8 of 12 Old 04-20-2014, 09:44 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew6279 View Post
So I have been trying to get creative. The dealer will not return the back pad. Oh well. Not sure if I can sell it or not. I'm thinking about pulling the cover and padding off, using the already formed plastic back and spray adhesive some waterproof foam to it. Or just spray adhesive the foam directly to case. Anyone try this yet?? I can find some 1" thick waterproof foam for under $20. Cut to size and attach. May not be exactly the prettiest but what else is there??
I did this on a V52 case I used to have. Same issue with the pad. I was lucky in that I already had plenty of minicell foam, of various thicknesses, laying around for use on my kayaks. Also already had a Sureform and stapler and 3M spray contact cement, so the project cost me nothing.

To be honest, if it wasn't for the need to cover the two holes drilled in the top case, I'd have left the pad completely off, as it's really unneccesary. What I made was less than a half inch thick.

The minicell foam is very easy to sculpt with the Sureform. You'll see once you pull the cover off the pad it's really made to fit foam that has contours in it. I suppose if you used very soft foam you could get away without sculpting contours into it. The minicell foam and the Sureform make it very easy though.

Here's a pretty good pic of what it looked like on the bike. I think you can see that it has virtually no thickness at the bottom edge, and is thicker at the top. If I recall correctly, I used two pieces of 1/4" foam glued together to achieve this.
post #9 of 12 Old 04-20-2014, 09:52 AM
Stromthusiast!

If you're going to use the kneeling pad I'd suggest using velcro to attach it. That way it can be multipurpose

. . . . . BIKES . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . DL650 FARKLES
2013 DL650 Adventure . . . . . . BB VPS, HT Center Stand,
2009 DR650, 2009 DRZ400 . . . .Kaoko, Oxford Grips.
2002 ZG1000, 1999 DR350 . . . .EB PC-8, ABS Switch &
-Some others long gone-. . . . . Headlight Relay Kit.
75&77 CB400F, 78 GS550 . . . . AdvTech Fork Brace,
---- First Bike ----. . . . . . . . . Peg Lowering Kit,
------ 1973 ------. . . . . . . . . Aux Shelf & Over Dash Shelf.
-- Suzuki T-500 --. . . . . . . . . E. G. Bash Plate & Hwy Pegs
post #10 of 12 Old 04-20-2014, 10:21 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post
If you're going to use the kneeling pad I'd suggest using velcro to attach it. That way it can be multipurpose
Very funny. Heather thinks you're number one! :biggrinjester:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode