Just installed AdventureTech's raising links - with pics - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 04-16-2014, 04:31 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Just installed AdventureTech's raising links - with pics

I just got AdventureTech's raising links (1" raise) on my '13 650. Had to be one of the easiest modifications I've done on a bike in a while. Just had to remove two nuts, slide two bolts out, put the new links in place of the old, put the bolts back in, reinstall the nuts. I took one "before" shot and two "after" shots. I posted them below in that order. If you look at the swingarm you can see the more extreme angle in the first "after" shot. View "before" in one web browser and "after" in another and then flip back and forth between them and the difference becomes obvious. I tried to take the two pictures from the same distance and location for that reason. The bike doesn't look much higher in the first "after" shot because it's leaning over on the kickstand considerably further than it did before installing the raising links. I think I'll wind up doing something about that before long. I took the third picture to show the lean angle of the bike on the kickstand now. I have not ridden the bike yet with the lift, but I sat on it and could tell a noticeable difference. I'll update this thread later after I've had a chance to take the bike for a ride.

BEFORE:

AFTER:

AFTER:

2013 V-Strom 650
F*ck the brakes.
IBA# 38957
FredBGG does not approve of my riding.

Last edited by Shag; 04-16-2014 at 04:43 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 04-16-2014, 04:54 PM
Stromthusiast!

What was the reason for raising the back end?
post #3 of 7 Old 04-16-2014, 05:24 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Same reason I raised the suspension on my old Roadstar Warrior. So I'd quit dragging hard parts. :mrgreen: The more comfortable I get riding this bike the more I find myself scraping the exhaust pipe in hard right turns. I put a hose clamp around the exhaust right at the spot where it scrapes so that has been taking the brunt of the road rash but I can tell that raising the bike up a little would help in that regard. It sure did on the Warrior bike I used to have. I should find out soon enough on this bike. Oh by the way I went back out to the garage to look at the bike a little more and check the chain tension. I put it up on the centerstand and noticed that now the rear tire still makes contact with the ground even on the centerstand. So I'll probably pretty much quit using the kickstand and use the centerstand instead. With the front and rear tires touching and the centerstand touching in two places it makes the bike really stable when it's parked like that. The downside is that now I'll have to use a 1X4 under the centerstand when I want to have the rear tire up off of the ground to adjust the chain or remove the wheel to have a new tire put on.

2013 V-Strom 650
F*ck the brakes.
IBA# 38957

Last edited by Shag; 04-16-2014 at 05:28 PM.

post #4 of 7 Old 04-16-2014, 05:31 PM
Stromthusiast!

I'd be keen to hear your assessment after riding. I'm thinking this might be an option to quicken up the steering a little without sacrificing any ground clearance by dropping the forks...

chrs jc

ps can't see a link on their site (at first glance) to that product... How did you get onto it? tnx..

pps disregard, found 'em

"Between two evils, I'll always take the one I've never tried before..."

Shiro Nakama #069

Suzuki: RF900 x 2, DRZ400E, DL650L2 ABS(sold), SV650SK9 ABS
Honda: CB750F2, VFR750/RC36 x 2, VTR1000 x 2
Yamaha: GTMX80, MX125, Virago250, Virago1100

Last edited by Zone5; 04-16-2014 at 05:37 PM. Reason: postscript
post #5 of 7 Old 04-16-2014, 05:32 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Here is where it was scraping. You can see the hose clamp on the pipe if you look carefully.

2013 V-Strom 650
F*ck the brakes.
IBA# 38957
post #6 of 7 Old 04-16-2014, 06:25 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

I just took the bike out for a trip to the gas station and back, 14 mile round trip through decently twisty roads. It felt great. I could imagine it felt a little more responsive to turn in now but I probably only imagined it. When I come to a complete stop and put my left foot down I can stay fully seated with my foot flat on the pavement. While riding I can dangle my legs down the sides and really "feel" the extra ride height. Felt great on that short trip. First impressions are definitely favorable. For reference I'm right at 5'11" with 32" inseam.

2013 V-Strom 650
F*ck the brakes.
IBA# 38957
post #7 of 7 Old 04-19-2014, 01:31 AM
Stromthusiast!

Tnx for that, I'm considering giving the 5/8" links a go...

"Between two evils, I'll always take the one I've never tried before..."

Shiro Nakama #069

Suzuki: RF900 x 2, DRZ400E, DL650L2 ABS(sold), SV650SK9 ABS
Honda: CB750F2, VFR750/RC36 x 2, VTR1000 x 2
Yamaha: GTMX80, MX125, Virago250, Virago1100
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode