ABS and Shifting question - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 04-16-2014, 12:33 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

ABS and Shifting question

The pre-amble:
So, I was riding to work this morning and was riding over the reflectors while stopping. I think it triggered the abs for a very short time, as i felt the back brake suddenly stiffen.

Once stopped, I couldnt shift the gears at all (up or down). The instrument panel showed the current gear as blank. After a little panicking and shifting up and down, it went back into gear, and I was able to get it into 1st.

My question is: Can the ABS triggering cause this? Or is this a symptom of something worse?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 04-16-2014, 12:53 PM
$tromtrooper

I've triggered the ABS several times and it has never had any effect at all. Other than the stuttering you feel in the lever/pedal. There should be no after effects.

Current: '12 Dl650, '06 ST1300, '89 Transalp, '84 XL350R, '07 TRX350TM,
post #3 of 8 Old 04-16-2014, 01:13 PM
$tromtrooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polargeist View Post
The pre-amble:
So, I was riding to work this morning and was riding over the reflectors while stopping. I think it triggered the abs for a very short time, as i felt the back brake suddenly stiffen.

Once stopped, I couldnt shift the gears at all (up or down). The instrument panel showed the current gear as blank. After a little panicking and shifting up and down, it went back into gear, and I was able to get it into 1st.

My question is: Can the ABS triggering cause this? Or is this a symptom of something worse?
I doubt ABS has anything to do with it as well. I've hit "blank" on more than 1 occasion, usually when I'm coming to a stoplight and shifting several gears at once, while the clutch is engaged the whole time. I just release the clutch a little and keep pressing the shifter and then it's business as usual.

post #4 of 8 Old 04-16-2014, 01:39 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

OK, thanks. Ive owned 3 other bikes, and never had anything like this happen with them before, so I wanted to make sure there wasnt a more serious issue. The bikes practically still new (2k+ miles)
post #5 of 8 Old 04-16-2014, 02:07 PM
Aka
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zekester63 View Post
I doubt ABS has anything to do with it as well. I've hit "blank" on more than 1 occasion, usually when I'm coming to a stoplight and shifting several gears at once, while the clutch is engaged the whole time. I just release the clutch a little and keep pressing the shifter and then it's business as usual.
I second this. I've had this happen on both my old SV650S and my V-strom. Usually happens pretty much as zekester63 said, though I'd add 'while going slow'. Trying to shift too many gears at once while going slowly or stopped is usually when it would happen to me. I'd rev the engine up a bit to jiggle things about, but I guess releasing the clutch slightly does the same thing.
post #6 of 8 Old 04-16-2014, 02:43 PM
$tromtrooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aka View Post
I second this. I've had this happen on both my old SV650S and my V-strom. Usually happens pretty much as zekester63 said, though I'd add 'while going slow'. Trying to shift too many gears at once while going slowly or stopped is usually when it would happen to me. I'd rev the engine up a bit to jiggle things about, but I guess releasing the clutch slightly does the same thing.
Yes, it's only when going slow, coming to a stop, that I've experienced this.
post #7 of 8 Old 04-16-2014, 02:44 PM
Stromthusiast!

Same here, it's normal. Just ease the clutch a bit.
post #8 of 8 Old 04-16-2014, 08:49 PM
Stromthusiast!

This happened to me a few times when the bike was new to me (around 2k miles) it has subsided now. Not sure if its due to a change in my technique, changing oil (synthetic), or the transmission breaking in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode