Why are motorcycles harder to start in cold than cars? - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 04-16-2014, 09:33 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Why are motorcycles harder to start in cold than cars?

My 2012 V strom starts like a champ all the time all it takes is half of a second on the starter button and she's ready to go. Two times, however, the temps were in low 20's (Please no "you should not ride in this kind of temps" responses) she needed a second crank to get'er going. This got me thinking my car start after one (sometimes longer, sometimes shorter) cranking. Why do some or more motorcycles take longer to start than a car? Is it their FI system not being as sophisticated as that of a car?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 04-16-2014, 10:08 AM
Stromthusiast!

Cold Cranking Amps! Simply put a motorcycle cannot, due to size and weight have the same capacity of a car, van etc. I have a diesel and it's battery is far more powerful than it's petrol counterpart. If you want strong starting power in your petrol car, stick in a diesel battery. Having said that, a bike does not need much juice in the battery to bump start it, just enough to power the fuel pump until it starts.
Oh, and why are you riding in such cold weather? Had to do it.
post #3 of 8 Old 04-16-2014, 10:11 AM
$tromtrooper

Garage
These bikes have very complex engine control computers that know better than to venture out below freezing. Unless forced to by a button pushing owner. Better hope revenge is not programmed somewhere in there....

2018 1000XT, black. The Night's Watch. Givi engine bars, rear wheel mud guard, radiator screen. Givi V56 Litre Monokey topcase. Puig screen. Freeway Blaster horn. Speedohealer. SW Motech guards for R. brake reservoir, R. brake cylinder, exhaust pipe valve. Aprilia Tuono mirrors. GPR exhaust slip-on.
2006 DL1000, The Red Rhino. Gone for good.

post #4 of 8 Old 04-16-2014, 10:19 AM
Stromthusiast!

My 2012 has always only taken one button push to get it fired over, even down in the 20's multiple times... i've taken it out in the teens...

2012 DL650A; daily commuter http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/sets/72157633330697107/
Sold: 2003 SV650: weekend canyon carver http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/sets/72157630515234266/
post #5 of 8 Old 04-16-2014, 10:24 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

It could've been that I didn't hold the start button long enough? I am affraid to push it and cook the starter. I just love the look on cage drivers when I zoom by them in below frezing temps. They are not used to that - I guess. All you need is not to dress as a pirate to ride in cold. I have a work buddy that only rides in 65F and up and when it doesn't rain. The chrome on his V twin might get dirty.
post #6 of 8 Old 04-16-2014, 11:08 AM
Stromthusiast!

Battery size and CCA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majster81 View Post
It could've been that I didn't hold the start button long enough? I am affraid to push it and cook the starter.
You can hold the starter for what seems like a very long time without any issues. A couple, three, ten seconds is not going to affect it.
post #7 of 8 Old 04-16-2014, 02:39 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

I've never had a problem with starting. Even after storage all winter, was -5C, and started in about 1 second.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Newstrom48
2009 DL1000
Too many Farkles
post #8 of 8 Old 04-16-2014, 05:49 PM
Stromthusiast!

15w or higher cold viscosity oils can hinder starting in cold weather, 10w is ok down to -5f or so, below that cranking speed begins to slow significantly and you should be running 5w or 0w

I run 10w-40 in summer and 5w-40 in winter because of that

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

RandyO
IBA# 9560
07 Strom 1k (8x,xxx miles)
99 SV650 (135,006 miles)
82 XV920R
A man with a gun is a citizen
A man without a gun is a subject
www.gbhsurvey.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode