Good aftermarket levers? - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 04-15-2014, 06:12 PM Thread Starter

Good aftermarket levers? FOUND THEM!

Seems hard to find good after market levers for 2013's.
I have a fondness for quality levers, so please no suggestions of cheap ebay Chinese stuff.

I like ASV, LSL, Pazzo and other high end levers.

(Brake is no problem as the same brake lever is used all over the place)

So. I had ASV's in my parts bins and put them on. Problem is the adjuster wheel hits the left switch housing. So that makes it bad for tripping the safety switch and you can't pull the lever in as far - an issue if you have small hands like me.

LSL: Love them on my GS500's except I have to order direct from Germany. The LSL distributor in the USA does not carry any Suzuki LSL levers.

What is odd is I find the 12-13 have the same part number for the clutch lever. However, come companies list 11-12 for a clutch lever. 2011 shows a different part number for the lever. However the diagrams show the same configuration and clutch switch below the lever.
(There is no 2010in the Suzuki lists.)
2009 shows the earlier style switch.

What is compatibility for 2013? Is 2011-2012 the same as 2013? If so, then I can ignore the lack of 2013 and order 2011 or 2012.
Some companies list 2004-2011 then 2012+.
Some show 2010+
Some show 2011-2012 and nothing newer. (Pazzo is this way and I like the Pazzo as they look like LSL levers)

Being a 3 day owner of a DL650, I appreciate some help. Is there a lever compatibility chart that cross references levers with years, models and brands? We have one for GS500's which is how I know of all the brake lever compatibility and lack of for the GS500 clutch lever.

FYI: I'm quite versed in the GS500 and am aware of model differences. Where many parts are compatible across the years, parts lists often break them into small blocks of years due to model differences. I'm assuming the same here with the DL650. It appears that 2011-2012 is the same as 2013 for the clutch lever.

I do see some different part numbers for brake levers, but know that all fit the same. Different part numbers based on finish? Aluminum or chrome or black or? And the same brake lever as GS500's, many Kawasaki's and Honda's.

Last edited by adidasguy; 04-26-2014 at 01:56 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 04-15-2014, 09:42 PM
Stromthusiast!

I purchased a pair of levers off Ebay marked for 11-12 for my 13. They did not work without modification. The issue was with the cup for the cable end. the cup was not deep enough to allow the cable reach the slot to swing through. All other dimensions of that area of the lever were very near identical with OEM. I can't say if that part of the lever was out of spec or if there is a difference between years.

Rick
post #3 of 10 Old 04-16-2014, 01:54 PM Thread Starter

as I think about it, the 2011-2012 must be the same as 2013.

I bought an ASV clutch lever when experimenting with changing levers on the GS500. That was in 2011. The lever came with adapters for the older clutch switch and the low hanging paddle for the new switch. It fits just fine, other than the adjuster knob hitting the left hand control housing when you adjust the lever to be in close.

I notice the same lever has been used on many other models of Suzuki bikes. That is the ASV CRC530 lever. Logic says of the 2013 lever was different than 2011-2012, then a lever bought before 2013 would not fit. It fits so it must be the same.

I can look up the lever fitment on the ASV site then go to the Suzuki parts diagrams for that model. I suspect the different parts numbers (where the perch and switch are the same) are due to minor cosmetic changes or manufacturing changes from one year to another.
http://asvinventions.com/Applications/SuzukiSport.pdf

I ordered some levers and we shall see in a couple days.

post #4 of 10 Old 04-18-2014, 05:57 PM
$tromtrooper

I put Pazzo's on my 2012

I believe it was from Motivational LLC. I first ordered the burnt orange and they were too red. They took them back with no problem and replaced them with the Titanium. I am told the 2012/2013 DL650's are basically the same bike except color.

I bought the long levers that don't fold. The left side lever hit the meter button when you engaged the clutch. I moved the small adjusting lever on the Pazzo from 1 to 6 and it just misses the meter button when fully engaged.

I like them, they're trick, but awfully expensive. Even at $50 off they cost a lot. The install is nothing.

It's good to have the old levers in one of the bags in case you bust one on the road.

Best/RR
post #5 of 10 Old 04-18-2014, 07:54 PM Thread Starter

Nothing on Motovation LLS but I think this is it:

https://www.motovationusa.com/mvstor...idproduct=1156

$50 off. $150 a pair isn't so bad. I pay $120 each for LSL levers for my GS500's (plus postage from Germany).
I'll give them a try.
Bike is White/Black so getting white levers with black adjuster.

+1 on advice to keep extra levers in your tool kit.

Last edited by adidasguy; 04-18-2014 at 07:59 PM.
post #7 of 10 Old 04-20-2014, 07:53 AM
Stromthusiast!

Here are some no-name China levers for $85 a pair. I have Pazzo's on my Strom and these China levers on my wife's Ninja 650. There isn't much difference between the two. A little more up and down slop, but Pazzo's has that too.

Adjustable Levers

2000 Triumph Tiger (sold)
2001 Kawasaki ER5N (wife's sold)
2005 Ninja 500 (wife's totaled)
2007 Ninja 650R (wife's/mine :-) current)
2008 Kawasaki Versys (retired in a flood)
2012 DL650 (current)
post #8 of 10 Old 04-21-2014, 05:40 AM
Stromthusiast!

post #9 of 10 Old 04-26-2014, 02:09 AM Thread Starter

Good aftermarket levers? FOUND THEM!

Found some nice ones. Well made. Nearly identical to LSL levers which I really love on my GS500's.

PSR Click 'N Roll Levers for the 2012+ models:

Brake: B-521-L-BLK (the L is for long. They also have shorties)
Clutch: C-611-L-BLK

The first picture shows the ASV levers. They work but you can't pull the clutch lever in as far because the red adjusting dial hits the switch housing. OK except if you have small hands like me, you want the lever in closer.

The PSR comes in all the way with no interference.

The clutch lever installed. BarkBuster was rotated out of the way.

The LSL lever (which I love) next to the PSR. Nearly identical in every way so I am confident these levers will be great.

Last edited by adidasguy; 04-26-2014 at 02:20 AM.
post #10 of 10 Old 04-26-2014, 02:25 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandroidx View Post
Cheaper than PSR.
One difference: The PSR and LSL have a ball bearing that the adjuster rides on for smooth, easy adjusting. The Strada do not appear to have that so the adjuster is riding on metal. Other than that to make the adjusting smoother and easier they look similar.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode