Head Light problem - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 04-15-2014, 04:48 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Head Light problem

On my 2012 650 strom I do a fair amount of night riding and for a while I put up with the high setting of my head lights so then I proceeded to "adjust them" according to the instruction in the owner manual.I am not getting a very good result.I am doing as per instructions and I also get a very wide and narrow beam...(wide but not very high) which is annoying in tight turns as I have to turn my high beams on. I thought it was the lights so I purchased some "Nighthawk Extreme white" yes they are brighter but same pattern on the road.. anybody got some idea as what I'm doing wrong here? I decided to purchase some fog LEDs and install them on the fender bolt so has to give me some lights in a tight turn but I would like to correct the other light pattern. Louis

Last edited by kilr650; 04-15-2014 at 04:51 PM. Reason: missed some info in the tread
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 04-15-2014, 05:37 PM
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT

Garage
The low beam pattern is flat topped to keep from blinding oncoming drivers. There is nothing wrong with the light pattern. It's how it was designed and there is nothing to correct. I understand you don't like it, but you can't put much light higher without causing a problem with oncoming traffic and the law on light patterns. If there is other traffic in the area or street lights, you should have enough light to be safe though you might need to slow down. If you are really in a remote area with no other traffic lighting things up, you can use your high beams that don't have a flat top.

Pat- 2007 DL650A was ridden to all 48 contiguous states. I didn't quite make it to 17,000 miles on the 2012 DL650A.
Nicknames I use to lessen typing, Vee = 2002-2012 DL1000s. Vee2=2014-2016 DL1000s. Wee = 2004-2011 DL650s. Glee = 2012-2016 DL650s
See https://www.stromtrooper.com/general-...nicknames.html

Please vote in the poll on what Strom(s) you have at https://www.stromtrooper.com/informat...-you-have.html
post #3 of 6 Old 04-15-2014, 06:32 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

I understand the top of the light beam but why cut it at the bottom so sharply. About the adjustment....I'm i being to carfull? I have already taken several 1/2 turns on the bolts and don't seem to be lowering my high beams.

post #4 of 6 Old 04-15-2014, 06:59 PM
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT

Garage
You don't adjust with the high beams on. You adjust with the low beams on to get the top of the cutoff at the right height. You can literally watch the cutoff move as you adjust. Turning the adjuster moves the aim pretty slowly.

When you turn, the side you turn to and need to look at will be above the beam cutoff. Having more light low won't help anything. Are you turning the two lower adjusters? The two higher ones are for side to side aim. The adjuster marked "A" in the picture is the height adjuster for the right headlight for example.

Pat- 2007 DL650A was ridden to all 48 contiguous states. I didn't quite make it to 17,000 miles on the 2012 DL650A.
Nicknames I use to lessen typing, Vee = 2002-2012 DL1000s. Vee2=2014-2016 DL1000s. Wee = 2004-2011 DL650s. Glee = 2012-2016 DL650s
See https://www.stromtrooper.com/general-...nicknames.html

Please vote in the poll on what Strom(s) you have at https://www.stromtrooper.com/informat...-you-have.html
post #5 of 6 Old 04-15-2014, 07:09 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilr650 View Post
. I thought it was the lights so I purchased some "Nighthawk Extreme white" yes they are brighter but same pattern on the road.. anybody got some idea as what I'm doing wrong here?
the pattern is determined by the reflector or in some cases, the lense, not the bulb

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

RandyO
IBA# 9560
07 Strom 1k (8x,xxx miles)
99 SV650 (135,006 miles)
82 XV920R
A man with a gun is a citizen
A man without a gun is a subject
www.gbhsurvey.com
post #6 of 6 Old 04-15-2014, 08:36 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Yeah ok I am doing all of your recomendations as per the book says. I am adjusting the beams on low....so I guess I will keep on lowering still. Thank for the info it gave me confidence that I was doing the right thing ..just not enough.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode