Headlight Lens Damage and Replacement - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 04-15-2014, 04:36 PM Thread Starter
jak
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Headlight Lens Damage and Replacement

OK, I have not seem a similar post on this and leave it to me to run into this problem ... as I typically do during the winter months, I store my 2012 V-Strom Adventure in the garage with a full bike cover on the bike. Also, once a month, I start the bike up and let it fully warm up for about 10-15 minutes just to keep the engine in good working order. Well, during my last start-up I did not fully remove the bike cover and basically removed the rear 3/4 of the cover and let that hang over the front fairing. Little did I know that when the bike was left running for 10-15 minutes, the headlights warmed up enough under the bike cover to actually disfigure the clear headlight lens right in the center of the lens. The damage is enough to alter the lighting at night so I want to replace them. So, I am looking to replace the clear lens on both sides but I am not able to find those two parts; right and left clear lens cover. I believe I would need to buy the entire headlight assembly to get the lens covers - is this correct? I could also try the salvage route but wanted to first confirm it's the whole assembly that I need. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 04-15-2014, 04:47 PM
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT

Garage
Only the entire assembly can be replaced if you buy a new part. The lenses are hot glued to the reflector.

While we're at it, starting the engine while in storage is a bad idea unless you are going to ride the bike, not just idle it, at least a half hour. Condensation and byproducts of combustion form acids that typically take a half hour ride to burn off. Idling does not warm the engine and exhaust enough to do the job. For less than one year of storage, add a fuel stabilizer to the tank and ride the bike before storage then fill the tank to prevent condensation and add additional stabilizer like marine Sta-Bil to the tank just before storage. You want stabilized fuel throughout the system. Don't start the engine again until you are ready to ride.

Pat- 2007 DL650A was ridden to all 48 contiguous states. I didn't quite make it to 17,000 miles on the 2012 DL650A.
Nicknames I use to lessen typing, Vee = 2002-2012 DL1000s. Vee2=2014-2016 DL1000s. Wee = 2004-2011 DL650s. Glee = 2012-2016 DL650s
See https://www.stromtrooper.com/general-...nicknames.html

Please vote in the poll on what Strom(s) you have at https://www.stromtrooper.com/informat...-you-have.html
post #3 of 8 Old 04-15-2014, 04:47 PM
$tromtrooper

Just glanced at a microfiche and I didn't see the lens as a separate part. Appears to be a $300+ unit. I hope I am wrong.

post #4 of 8 Old 04-16-2014, 11:44 AM Thread Starter
jak
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Yes, the headlight assembly is $300+ and from what I understand comes unpainted so you would then need to have it painted and clear coated.
post #5 of 8 Old 04-16-2014, 11:45 AM Thread Starter
jak
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Thanks - yes, I do add a fuel stabilizer and top off the tank. I also alternate the rpms so the bike is not just left idling for that period.
post #6 of 8 Old 04-16-2014, 12:27 PM

Garage
The headlight is only the headlight, not the cowling. There is no paint. The problem with acids isn't the rpms, but the load. With no load, the system does not get hot enough unless run for an hour.

Pat- 2007 DL650A was ridden to all 48 contiguous states. I didn't quite make it to 17,000 miles on the 2012 DL650A.
Nicknames I use to lessen typing, Vee = 2002-2012 DL1000s. Vee2=2014-2016 DL1000s. Wee = 2004-2011 DL650s. Glee = 2012-2016 DL650s

Please vote in the poll on what Strom(s) you have at https://www.stromtrooper.com/informat...-you-have.html
post #7 of 8 Old 04-16-2014, 02:18 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywolf View Post
While we're at it, starting the engine while in storage is a bad idea unless you are going to ride the bike, not just idle it, at least a half hour. Condensation and byproducts of combustion form acids that typically take a half hour ride to burn off. Idling does not warm the engine and exhaust enough to do the job.
Not to derail the thread, but does this only apply if a bike's been winterized? For those of us poor commuting saps who ride the bike ~10-20 minutes each way to work and only get to play on the week-ends are we killing our bikes prematurely?
post #8 of 8 Old 04-16-2014, 02:52 PM

Garage
Riding less than 20 minutes in cold weather can be hard on engines and exhausts. Many vehicle maintenance charts classify such use as severe service. Change oil more often and don't be surprised to see condensation crud in the oil on places that don't get very hot, like the oil level inspection window and the oil filler cap.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
headlight lens covers

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode