So, when I take both hands off of the bars... - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 04-15-2014, 02:51 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

So, when I take both hands off of the bars...

When I engage my throttle lock and take both hands off of the bar (to change jackets, face shields...you know...the usual) my bike almost immediately goes left.

I correct it with a bit of counter steering, but it immediately drifts left again.

Is this due to the way I am sitting? Alignment?

Any input is appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 04-15-2014, 02:59 PM
$tromtrooper

It may sound odd, and I'm not trying to be silly, but are you sure you're sitting squarely on the seat? Surprisingly enough, I have been riding down the road and realize I'm not exactly even on the seat - not like hanging off, but not even either. It might have something to do with the width of the seat vs my butt bones... not sure really. Just know that it happens with me.

How about the gradient of the road (for drainage), is that a possible factor? Does it happen on any road, regardless of where you are?
post #3 of 11 Old 04-15-2014, 03:09 PM
Stromthusiast!

Road

Some roads have more crown in it than others and can cause this to happen. Hey that what he said in different words, lol.

post #4 of 11 Old 04-15-2014, 03:38 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by glastron View Post
Some roads have more crown in it than others and can cause this to happen. Hey that what he said in different words, lol.
Roadways usually slant to the right...no??

Check the wear on your front tire. Is it wearing more on one side or the other. Also sitting squarely on the seat will make a difference as will having an unbalanced load (ie. more weight in one pannier than the other), albeit a small affect.

2010 Wee-Strom 650A
2012 Moto Guzzi Stelvio NTX
2009 KLR 650 (sold...need a bigger garage)
post #5 of 11 Old 04-15-2014, 03:45 PM
Stromthusiast!

Have you verified that the rear tire is aligned correctly, IE pointed straight ahead?
post #6 of 11 Old 04-15-2014, 04:50 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuck1969 View Post
Roadways usually slant to the right...no??
Which is what makes the bike pull left (just like when you lean into a left turn); the smaller circumference on the shoulder of the tire keeps pulling you in that direction.

Or something like that. :mrgreen:
post #7 of 11 Old 04-15-2014, 05:43 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarChamp View Post
Which is what makes the bike pull left (just like when you lean into a left turn); the smaller circumference on the shoulder of the tire keeps pulling you in that direction.

Or something like that. :mrgreen:
.......pretty sure it doesn't work like that...I could be wrong........

2010 Wee-Strom 650A
2012 Moto Guzzi Stelvio NTX
2009 KLR 650 (sold...need a bigger garage)
post #8 of 11 Old 04-15-2014, 08:42 PM
$tromtrooper

Mine does the same thing but it's not really a problem. I experimented with the rear wheel alignment adjusting it drastically in both directions but I couldn't correct it that way so I aligned it straight and let it go. A new rear tire did help some but a new front tire seemed to make it a tad worse. Both tires I've had on the front cupped, I wonder if there's a connection.
post #9 of 11 Old 04-15-2014, 10:27 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

My tires are relatively new, and it happens all the time regardless if I am on the interstate or a backroad.

I might be sitting oddly; I recently got a "burn" on my bum from many hours in the seat - but it was only one cheek. (There is a nice mental pic for you).

It has never happened with other bikes and that is partly why I am confused.
post #10 of 11 Old 04-15-2014, 11:07 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
Have you verified that the rear tire is aligned correctly, IE pointed straight ahead?
+

Spooned on fresh tires just before a 1000 mile weekend and it was pulling to the left the whole trip. When i got home I checked and the alignment was way off. Corrected alignment, pull to the left stopped.

Obliquely related: I read about tires wearing unevenly across their width. The article blamed it either the crown of the road, or the fact that in North America we make wider (and therefor faster) left-hand turns than we do right-handers when leaving an intersection. I suppose tire the subsequent wear could affect handling.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode