Loose Mirrors - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old 04-13-2014, 10:33 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Loose Mirrors

I recently installed both hand guards and Adventuretech's mirror extenders and, for the first time ever, my mirrors (both right and left) were blown loose when traveling at highway speeds. I cut my trip short, returned home and tightened them up, but I'm guessing this is no co-incidence. It does appear the hand guards direct wind right up at the mirrors. My question, I guess, is did anyone else run into this and, also, should I use loctite or something to prevent it from happening again?

Thanks,

Keith
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 04-13-2014, 11:50 PM
Stromthusiast!

Installing mirror extenders means you had the mirrors off. You probably just didn't tighten them enough.

I had a issue with the stock mirrors on my Vee spinning around on the highway once. Stopped and tightened them up and never happened again. This incident was shortly after... I installed mirror extenders.
post #3 of 4 Old 04-13-2014, 11:58 PM
Stromthusiast!

lock washers

You should use locktite, I dont put any bolts on without it on the bike but you should always use lock washers or lock nuts also.

"Be advised, all of my instructions are personal experiences, and not necessarily correct or without errors. I reserve the right to be wrong!!
"Money can't buy happiness. But it can buy a motorcycle. And you can't be sad on a motorcycle!"

post #4 of 4 Old 04-14-2014, 12:12 AM
Stromtrooper.com Sponsor

You didn't say which part of the mirror was loose. There is an upper cinch nut and a lower nut that tightens into the male stud.

You can use Locktite on the male stud that goes into the mirror extender and on the bolt that goes into the stock mirror post on the handlebar.

If the extender remained in position and it was the mirror arm that moved you need to tighten the upper cinch nut.

I have used mine with handguards cruising up to 95 across some of the states with liberal speed limits with no problems what-so-ever. Feel free to call me if you have any questions.

See our instructions page for the mirror extenders and snazzy installation video. Mirror Extender Instructions - AdventureTech, LLC.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode