Do they make a slip on for the vstrom? - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 04-13-2014, 04:15 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Do they make a slip on for the vstrom?

I am wondering if they make a slip on muffler for the vstrom? I have never found one on any site so I am guessing there is some mechanical reason why they dont make one? Perhaps related to the o2 sensor? I think I recall reading it was in the muffler or near it.

I dont really want a full exhaust if possible, I am plenty happy with the power on the bike. I really just want a slip on muffler if possible to raise the volume of the bike a little. I am of the belief that a bike really needs to be heard and seen for ultimate safety. My vstrom is so quiet, people walking on the road and through cross walks dont even hear me. I had someone almost walk in front of me because they werent looking and turned to get on the road without looking in my direction and they had no idea i was coming because my bike is so quiet.

I also drove past a friend on his bicycle and he told me he had no idea i was on the road until he saw me. If someone standing next to it on the road can't hear it, someone in the car will never be able to hear it, and doesnt that remove an extra aspect of being noticed when on a bike to avoid a driver hitting you?

I know they make 2 brother slip on mufflers for most the super sports, so why not the vstrom?

Also, to avoid making a separate topic, do they make a fender eliminator for the vstrom? Someone on reddit recommended getting one but I dont think I have ever seen one for the vstrom (nor am I sure I would even want one)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 04-13-2014, 05:36 AM
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

post #3 of 12 Old 04-13-2014, 06:48 AM
Banned

They don't make a slip-on because the OEM exhaust is basically one piece (almost), and therefore to fit a slip-on would require cutting the lead pipe, something that most owners won't do.

I have the Akrapovic system installed, best thing I've done to the bike

Akrapovic Exhaust | A Pair of Stroms

post #4 of 12 Old 04-13-2014, 07:39 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by salrian View Post
Interesting, this doesnt seem to acomodate a license plate though? Its hard to tell with that one picture. I probably never saw it as its says 07-12 and doesnt include 13, but since it includes 12 it probably includes 13.
post #5 of 12 Old 04-13-2014, 07:41 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zedex9r View Post
They don't make a slip-on because the OEM exhaust is basically one piece (almost), and therefore to fit a slip-on would require cutting the lead pipe, something that most owners won't do.

I have the Akrapovic system installed, best thing I've done to the bike

Akrapovic Exhaust | A Pair of Stroms

AHhh, I understand now. I know you have the akrapovic as I have admired it on your blog! lol

Is it noticeably louder? Its hard to gauge loudness based on youtube videos.

Does it just bolt on or does a mechanic need to install it?
post #6 of 12 Old 04-13-2014, 08:12 AM
Stromthusiast!

It's fairly easy to install. It's just a bit louder than stock with the insert.

I saw a carbon Akra on Amazon for around $550.00. I'd get that one.

2012 Suzuki DL650AL2, over 45k miles already!
post #7 of 12 Old 04-13-2014, 09:05 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandroidx View Post
Interesting, this doesnt seem to acomodate a license plate though? Its hard to tell with that one picture. I probably never saw it as its says 07-12 and doesnt include 13, but since it includes 12 it probably includes 13.
Nothing is aft of the rear sprocket and not designed for putting a licence plate on as far as I know. IIRC the swingarm of the later wee's is the same as the Glee's, hence the 07-12 and the I'm sure the only difference between the 12 / 13 / 14 is the colour options.

The chain eats away at the join between where it acts as a chain guard and the hugger bit that helps protect the rear shock.
post #8 of 12 Old 04-13-2014, 10:08 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.T. View Post
It's fairly easy to install. It's just a bit louder than stock with the insert.

I saw a carbon Akra on Amazon for around $550.00. I'd get that one.
Really? I cant find it, can you link me?
post #9 of 12 Old 04-13-2014, 12:05 PM
$tromtrooper

Garage
A loud pipe won't help you avoid a car turning in front of you, because of the Doppler effect - how sound really works in the real world. It's all physics. Bikes with loud pipes really are only noticeable AFTER they pass on by, or in really low speed urban zones. " Loud pipes save lives" is an illusion. I'd only get a louder exhaust if I wanted a better tone, or a relatively tiny HP increase..

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/a...-650-2004-2012

"Side effects may include: Mild kidney explosions...Testicular cranberrying... And Rectal hallucinations."

Last edited by jokermtb; 04-13-2014 at 12:09 PM.
post #10 of 12 Old 04-13-2014, 01:49 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jokermtb View Post
A loud pipe won't help you avoid a car turning in front of you
+1

You ain't never going to be louder than that phone stuck in their ear so just get over it and ride like THEY DON"T SEE YOU OR HEAR YOU.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode