Tall Seat or Gel Seat? - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 04-10-2014, 11:55 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Tall Seat or Gel Seat?

There a quite a few posts on the different seats for the Glee but nothing that compares the Gel seat to the High seat.

I want one of them but not sure which one. The Tall seat is on sale for $169 from Oneida and the Gel seat is $220.

From what I have read, the Tall seat is a little flatter and about an inch taller and a bit firmer. The Gel seat is also about an inch taller and a little flatter and a little firmer. Not sure what the differences are.

Has anyone seen both of them? I think the Tall seat has the VStrom logo on it and the Gel seat does not. Not that it matters too much. I do like the covering of the stock seat. Are the Tall/Gel seats covered with the same material?

Thanks for any feedback.

Current rides: 2013 Wee II, 1993 GSX1100G, 2004 LS650 (I have no idea why)
Past rides: GS1100, GS850, GS550, GN400, CB350, Penton 6 day, Hodaka Ace 100, Hodaka Ace 90, Sears Puch, XL100
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 04-11-2014, 09:04 AM
Stromthusiast!

If the 2012+ is similar to the first gen, then the gel and tall seats will be of the same height.

The 2012+ gel seat is 1" taller than the stock seat, I can tell you that for sure, from measuring. The gel covering is a more "leatherlike" and better looking / thicker cover. No logo. I do not have access to a tall seat for the 2012+.

From personal experience on the first gen gel and the 2012+ gel, it's a great seat and a great value. You really can't go wrong with it.

Camera was fixed between the shots so you can see the profile differences in the gel v. OEM:

Last edited by MeefZah; 04-11-2014 at 11:54 AM.
post #3 of 15 Old 04-11-2014, 09:45 AM
Stromthusiast!

another great option in that price range is seat concepts.

post #4 of 15 Old 04-11-2014, 09:46 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapbastard View Post
another great option in that price range is seat concepts.

Not a great shot, but to give you an idea...

ImageUploadedByMO Free1397224009.128375.jpg

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
post #5 of 15 Old 01-16-2018, 09:03 PM
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

I bought a 2013 Strom from a dealer last year and after a few days of riding the bike seat started feeling too low. I bought the gel seat, which is higher, but I'd like to sell the seat that was on the bike, thing is, I don't know if the seat is a low profile or stock seat. I suspect this is a low profile seat as there is very little space between the low spot on the seat and the frame, also, the dealer tells me the previous owner was a lady so perhaps she put a low profile seat on the bike? The only markings on the bottom of the old seat are: "11 JO" and "PP". Can anyone tell me if 11 JO and PP are the markings on the standard seat, or do I have the low profile seat? I've searched the internet but no luck finding an answer. Thanks.
post #6 of 15 Old 01-16-2018, 11:25 PM
Stromthusiast!

Usually the stock seat is not as comfortable as gel. if the tall seat works for you I would go for gel, but as mentioned above Seat Concept seat is a really good option. I have some experience with stock, gel and Seat Concept seat. stock - not very good for more then 1.5-2 hours ride. Gel seat - you'll be seating more like on the top of it (it also keeps the heat for longer time when exposed to the sun) when the SC seat is more like seating in it. This one I think is more like Sargent seat just firmer and cheaper + is customized. I like mine even on all day trips.

Last edited by Rick123; 01-17-2018 at 02:27 AM.
post #7 of 15 Old 01-17-2018, 12:02 AM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
I had the same questions but read that the gel seat can get pretty hot when left in the sun. Since I live in central Oklahoma where we get a lot of sun that seemed like a pretty bad idea. Ended up going with a Sargent and am pretty happy with it.
post #8 of 15 Old 01-17-2018, 02:32 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOSE717 View Post
I had the same questions but read that the gel seat can get pretty hot when left in the sun. Since I live in central Oklahoma where we get a lot of sun that seemed like a pretty bad idea. Ended up going with a Sargent and am pretty happy with it.
you can have Seat Concept seat for less then half a price of new Sargent and is as good if not better.
post #9 of 15 Old 01-17-2018, 03:38 AM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
I had a gel seat. I would guess that it was maybe 20% more comfortable than stock. Wasn't worth it to me. I modified the factory seat to be more flat but it isn't much better either. Bought a air hawk, haven't tried it yet.

2013 DL650

Last edited by cpd419; 01-17-2018 at 04:28 AM.
post #10 of 15 Old 01-17-2018, 08:45 AM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick123 View Post
you can have Seat Concept seat for less then half a price of new Sargent and is as good if not better.
Didn't hear about the Seat Concepts unit until after I had the Sargent. Still very happy with the Sargent though. Haven't made a long trip on it yet but so far it's been great for several hours with no seat related discomfort. On the OEM seat I had about 45 minutes, after that all bets were off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode