Wee SW Motech Crash Bars on 2012+??? - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 04-09-2014, 04:58 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Wee SW Motech Crash Bars on 2012+???

This thread is related to existing posts, but nothing I've read in hours of searching really shows what I'm wondering.

I've got a 2012 DL650-
SW Motech parts are a little spendy for the 2012, and from what I understand, the crash bars and center stand will fit from the 04-11 model. Anybody install the older crash bars on a new bike? I'd like to see what they look like....The new ones are just a little different shape it looks like, and depending on how the older model looks, possibly not worth the extra money considering the old ones are far more available used...

Also looking at the SW motech center stand- any reason to not buy the old one that's way less expensive? (I realize I'll have to make a bumper stop).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 04-09-2014, 05:17 PM
Stromthusiast!

You could call twisted throttle and you'll find out right away.

06 V-Strom DL650

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #3 of 8 Old 04-09-2014, 05:28 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

TT is bound to go with the manufacturer on a lot of this stuff. For example, the 04-11 center stand says it DOES NOT FIT- however GW and others have said that the old center stand will fit easily, you just need to fab a stopper for it. I know for sure that the old crash bars will fit, I just wanted to see if anybody had them to see how they looked, or if there's any real noticible difference.

As is common, I'm feeling like SWMotech probably changed a tiny detail and put a new part number on it so people would "have" to buy the new stuff for a new bike, when the old stuff works fine. Just trying to get some more info on that from the generous minds of the forum.

Last edited by Falcon3; 04-09-2014 at 05:30 PM.

post #4 of 8 Old 04-10-2014, 09:33 AM
$tromtrooper

Falcon3,

i have a Wee SW Motech crash bar which i tried to fit on Glee - with some success but eventually i got a H&B crash bar on the Glee.

The frame is the same so the holes would line up, however you need to do some small modification to these 2 areas potentially.

1) the hose on the exterior of water pump sticks out more on the Glee than Wee - so you might want to fab up some thicker spacer than original SW Motech's (where the bar are mounted to frames x8, approx 5-10mm)

you dont have to do this step if you are comfortable with bar almost touching the water hose.

2) If you have done step 1) your centre clamp where the 2 sides of crash bar in the middle may not clamp properly - some bending of the bar would be necessary to bring it together - even then i suggest fabricating an internal aluminium rod (available from your local aluminum shop) and insert between two sides of the crash bar.

I did both 1) and 2), there was a lot of vibration which require some more work to make it work perfectly. When my local H&B supplier offer me a good deal on the Glee's crash bar - i took it.

hope it helps

L2 Glee;

K8 Wee ABS(SOLD);

SOLD: 06 FZ1; 04 Fireblade; 02 Fireblade; 97 CBR 600
post #5 of 8 Old 04-10-2014, 12:30 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Thanks a ton, Ace- I think I'll wait to get the newer bars. I did find a screaming deal on the old ones, but it's a new bike, so I'll keep the accessories nicer, too.
post #6 of 8 Old 04-10-2014, 01:04 PM
Stromthusiast!

Check TT 'scratch and dent' section, they had some essentially new 2012+ bars for about 1/2 off. I got a set and you can't even see the "scratch" (no dent).
post #7 of 8 Old 04-10-2014, 01:11 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon3 View Post
This thread is related to existing posts, but nothing I've read in hours of searching really shows what I'm wondering.

I've got a 2012 DL650-
SW Motech parts are a little spendy for the 2012, and from what I understand, the crash bars and center stand will fit from the 04-11 model. Anybody install the older crash bars on a new bike? I'd like to see what they look like....The new ones are just a little different shape it looks like, and depending on how the older model looks, possibly not worth the extra money considering the old ones are far more available used...

Also looking at the SW motech center stand- any reason to not buy the old one that's way less expensive? (I realize I'll have to make a bumper stop).

The older gear WILL NOT fit the 2012-2014 DL650. SW-MOTECH does not redesign parts for a bike when there is a design change on the bike IF the previous generation component fits. Twisted Throttle; the North American importer of SW-MOTECH gear, would prefer few part numbers as it means less confusion for customers.

You can confidently assume if we list a part to fit a certain year range it fits. Occasionally; in the beginning of a production year, we find out about small revisions that the motorcycle manufacturers forgot to mention - the hard way. When they arise we are happy to resolve those with you.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any other fitment or function questions.

Kevin
post #8 of 8 Old 05-03-2014, 01:15 AM
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

I ordered SW-Motech bars from Twisted Throttle, they came defective and dealing with Twisted Throttle was a nightmare. Save yourself from headaches and stay away from both.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode