StromTrooper banner

Should I install a new R/R when I'm not having electrical issues?

2K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  greywolf 
#1 ·
Hello all. I have a 2012 DL650. I was wondering if anyone here has replaced the stock voltage R/R with a series R/R on a 2012 DL650 as a preventative measure. I'm not having any electrical issues, but is this one of those maintenance issues that should be addressed (like the H4 relay) before they become a problem?

If you have done it, could you provide some step by step instructions (hopefully with a photo or three, since I'm visually oriented) on how you did it? I've seen posts on pre-2012 bikes, but I don't know if there are any differences between them and the 2012 models.

#3 ·
I'm doing it as a test. We'll see how an SH775 handles summer temps. I think I read of one Glee with a burnt stator. Despite all that's been written about stator problems, a small percentage of 650s were involved. I wouldn't recommend changing unless something goes wrong at this point.

#4 ·
Thanks to both of you. Greywolf, did you write up your R/R installation as a post on the forum? If so, I will bookmark it for later, just in case it comes up at some point down the road.

#5 ·
http://www.stromtrooper.com/dl650-2004-2011/134089-how-access-r-r-connectors.html
http://www.stromtrooper.com/maintenance-how/60842-how-install-mosfet-regulator-rectifier.html
http://www.stromtrooper.com/dl1000-2002-2012/142945-series-regulator-rectifier-photos.html

Be aware some earlier information about the MOSFET R/R was in error. It's really the series regulator that is significantly easier on the stator. The series type SH775 mounts just like the MOSFET but it is not yet clear if it will be okay for hot weather riding.

#6 ·
Thanks. I had seen that in one of the posts I'd read. I'd also seen a post about the Compufire regulator, but the member making the post hadn't installed one. I saw that it could not be mounted in the same place as the OEM regulator (or the Shindengen replacement), but I couldn't find a post of anyone who had actually found a place to install the Compufire. If I read it correctly, it has to be installed in the open air. The Compufire seemed to be more of a plug and play unit than the Shindengen, and I saw that it had the necessary connectors with it whereas the Shindengen didn't. Do you have any experience with the Compufire that would sway you that one was better than the other for the stator?

And thanks for posting those links. I've bookmarked them just in case.

#7 ·
I never had a Compufire or even seen one.

#8 · (Edited)
Fair enough. Shindengen it will be, if I find myself having to do this someday (and you don't subsequently report some awful problem with the one you're currently testing out). I appreciate the info, since I have about as much knowledge of motorcycle electrical systems as I do of Sanskrit.

#9 ·
Shindengen has a couple of higher capacity series R/Rs in the works.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.