Did I get a freak 650? - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 46 Old 04-05-2014, 05:21 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Did I get a freak 650?

I just finished my first, well actually 2nd service. The 600 mile break in service I did at 800, I also changed the oil at 200 to get any crap out of the engine early. The dealer was booked so I did it myself, the most difficult part was finding an oil wrench.

I serviced the whole bike end to end and used Rotella T Triple 15w-40, great stuff, I ran it in my Harley. The reason I think I got a freak is it runs to good. Yes you heard that correctly. Right now I am averaging 61 MPG and I am not easy on it. I am always hammering this thing. It will tag 100 mph effortlessly, I ran it about 50 miles today on the interstate on the way into the lab and my average speed was 90 MPH, yes average. Additionally I can lift the front tire in first and second just by whacking the throttle, the first time caught me off guard and I about dumped in my pants. The roll on at highway speeds is great, I have no problem ripping through traffic to get clean air.

I think either I got a freak of an engine or this is not a 650 in my bike. I have ridden 650s before, I have ridden 800s before. I would put this Glee up against a F800 or Tiger 800 any day, I have ridden both and my Glee runs better.

This kind of scares me, I hope the engine donít grenade.

"Dave"

If You're Gonna Be Stupid, You Better Be Hard, because stupid hurts!
I no longer own a V Strom, but I'm still here because its the best bike forum going!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 46 Old 04-05-2014, 06:09 PM
Stromthusiast!

Glad to see this, economic as 250cc and performance as 1000cc.
I'm also progressing the break in on mine, in a much slower pace since the weather in OH does not compare to NC.
Have fun and keep us posted.
post #3 of 46 Old 04-05-2014, 06:14 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Maybe there is some truth to the motoman break in, I ran it hard right out of the box, just keeps getting better.

"Dave"

I no longer own a V Strom, but I'm still here because its the best bike forum going!

post #4 of 46 Old 04-05-2014, 06:43 PM
Stromthusiast!

feak?

Depends on what you are used too. Did you come from a Gixxer or no bike at all?

Mine will wheelie in first and second. Not quite 60 mpg though. The bike does seem to run better in cool weather too.

Glad you like to grip it and rip it. Fun ain't it? :mrgreen:

2012 Suzuki DL650AL2, over 45k miles already!

Last edited by D.T.; 04-05-2014 at 06:46 PM.
post #5 of 46 Old 04-05-2014, 06:47 PM
BKP
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinNC View Post
Maybe there is some truth to the motoman break in, I ran it hard right out of the box, just keeps getting better.
You're not alone...

That's been my experience as well, with a hard (motoman) break in... I was virtually finished with the break-in just riding it the 40 miles back from the dealer...

Same experience with continued improvement as well... Can't say I'm averaging 61... closer to 55 right now (but that includes some cool weather). However, it doesn't breathe hard at all at 90mph.
I changed the oil 1st time right after break-in, at about 60 miles. 1st change was to dino. Changed it again at 600, and switched to synth...

Btw, had the same experience with the last bike I used the motoman break-in with...

[B][I]Barry[/I]
2017 Pearl White 650[/B]
AdventureTech lowering links and GPS mount
AdventureTech +2" SS braided brake line
Madstad windscreen
GPI spools, SW Motech risers
Givi XS307 Tanklock bag and Givi 46L top case
Suzuki hard case saddlebags

Last edited by BKP; 04-05-2014 at 06:49 PM.
post #6 of 46 Old 04-05-2014, 07:20 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
I am getting about 57mpg. I am not being easy on mine either, did the first oc at 100 miles, second at 700 using dino oil. Mine does run well but has never offered to come up in any gear. I am kinda glad I was always pushing the envelope on my sport bikes.
post #7 of 46 Old 04-05-2014, 07:29 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

I came from an Ultra Classic, it was a slug compared to this. I have been on HD for 30 years and this is my first fast spinner. I really like it, allot. I noticed an immediate improvement in fuel mileage in the warm weather we have had this past week. I have ridden 650s before, nothing comes close in performance. Im glad to see I am not the only one who is having this experience. I guess I can stand down on the grenading concern.

"Dave"

post #8 of 46 Old 04-05-2014, 07:52 PM
Stromthusiast!

I'm a little over 300 miles now and will do the first oil change soon. For the most part have done the factory-recommended break-in. I do get up to 6K now and then. Haven't done over 80 on the freeway, but I could see how this bike would be very comfortable with more. I'm familiar with the motoman break-in, but just couldn't bring myself to do it. Getting in the low 50s mpg, but can't say that I'm easy on the throttle. I was really happy with that until I read your post, thank you.

-Gary
2014 V-Strom 1000 - Desert Khaki
2016 GSX-S1000FA
2012 DR650SE
2011 Burgman 400
2007 Honda Helix
2013 V-Strom 650 - sold
post #9 of 46 Old 04-05-2014, 07:57 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
I am a believer in the motoman break in. I was skeptical at first but when I dropped the oil at 100mls I had noticeable shavings in the oil bucket. At the 700 mile mark I had none. That tells me that I would have been riding with the junk in the oil for 500 more miles if done by the book. I have always changed mine by the book with no problems but I didnt keep the other bikes long enough to see any long term affects. Maybe none. For a $20.00 oil change who cares.
post #10 of 46 Old 04-05-2014, 08:00 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinNC View Post
Right now I am averaging 61 MPG and I am not easy on it. I am always hammering this thing.
I'm just curious, is that what is indicated in the display? Have you verified this over several tanks calculating from fill-ups? That seems too good to be true to be driving as you say. Just wondering if maybe the computer could be out of adjustment?

-Gary
2014 V-Strom 1000 - Desert Khaki
2016 GSX-S1000FA
2012 DR650SE
2011 Burgman 400
2007 Honda Helix
2013 V-Strom 650 - sold
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode