New 650DL Review - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 Old 04-02-2014, 09:16 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

New 650DL Review

I have about 700 miles on my new 2013 650DL. I have been riding over 40 years. Started young ! Along the way I have had over 20 different bikes. All kinds. I tend to favor good low end torque bikes. I have a 2007 HD Superglide which I love but it is heavy and that is why I bought the 650. I had a 07 650 that I sold to buy something. Don’t remember what. Maybe the 09 Bandit 1250. Great bike. Here are my impressions so far.

Egros – At 5’ 10” I have no trouble putting my feet on the ground. No issue with wind buffeting. I always wear ear plugs so I don’t care about wind noise. The riding position is very neutral and this is great. The seat while not great is not one I say to replace right away. I tend to do 150 mile non-stop rides so it is OK for that. As one gets older ergos are important and the 650 is fine.

Engine/Transmission – Very nice engine. Smooth and powerful enough. Not a lot of low end grunt but I knew that when I bought it. Nice at 70 mph (actual) with some pop left. The tranny is ok not great. I still need to learn at what rpm to shift for a smooth transition. I think the HP to weight is really good on the 650 so it seems faster than it is.

Handling/Brakes – Handling is really good due to the weight and the wide handle bars. The bike just dives into the corners. Not good in the wind. I think the brakes are a weak point. Never had the ABS come on but better brakes would be nice.

Touring – Yes and no. I probably will do some mid distance touring (1500 miles or so) but across country maybe. One could do it and the accessories around make it very doable. Lots of people do it.

Summary – Are Vstrom’s boring. Yes, they are but that is not necessary a bad thing. Hell my FJR is really boring. The bike is not going to break and 50 mpg is great. Would I buy the bike again. I did. Is it my favorite bike of all time. No. 7.5 on the 1-10 scale. My least favorite was the 1200 Sportster. Gave it to my wife. Most favorite. Tie between my FJR and the K75 BMW I had years ago.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 04-02-2014, 09:24 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
I have had my 13 650 about 1000 miles now. The longest trip I have got to do is 180 miles. The seat sucks but not as bad as the last 5 bikes I owned. This is about twice the mileage I could stand in a day on any of my last 4 or 5 bikes. I really like it so far. The only thing I am having trouble getting used to is not having to stop every 100 miles for fuel. I am loving that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode