Chain replacement at 9800 miles? - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 04-01-2014, 03:59 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Chain replacement at 9800 miles?

Since I got both my wheels off my '12 650 I was thinking about replacing the chain. What can one expect out of the stock chain from Suzuki?
Spockets look ok.

Mr. Pete----->
aging hippie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 04-01-2014, 04:21 PM
Stromthusiast!

Will depend on a lot of things, primarily type and frequency of lube, IMHO.

Mine's at nearly 22K miles and seems fine - never needs tightening between tire changes - but I lube well per (V-Tom's?) directions - generally. I lube with gear lube or used motor oil after each fuel-up.

I think V-Tom has used chains for more than 40K miles, but he rides a lot and takes good care of his bike.

2007 Wee. Blue. Bought at 5K miles. Sold at 32K+ miles. Gone but not forgotten.

2012 Wee2 Adventure. Black. Bought at 26K miles. Now 45K+. Love it!
post #3 of 15 Old 04-01-2014, 04:28 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Since I got both my wheels off my '12 650 I was thinking about replacing the chain.
Doesn't matter. The chain has to be cut to get it off. And, the sprockets ought'a look OK at 10k. With normal lubing you'll get at least 10k more from that chain & sprockets.

"Older people who are reasonable, good-tempered, and gracious will bear aging well. Those who are mean-spirited and irritable will be unhappy at every period of their lives.

"Let each of use properly whatever strengths he has and strive to use them well. If he does this, he will never find himself lacking."

Marcus Tullius Cicero
44 B.C.

post #4 of 15 Old 04-01-2014, 05:39 PM
$tromtrooper

At 20,000 miles my chain hasn't even stretched one complete mark on the adjusters. Front sprocket is hooked a little though. I lube every 100-200 miles except on a trip.
post #5 of 15 Old 04-01-2014, 05:51 PM
Stromthusiast!

I clean my chain after every can of lube. I lube my chain after every two or three rides, which generally adds up about 600 miles. Unless it rains, in which case I usually lube it before riding again. And I do ride in all kinds of weather and road conditions. Even with the abuse my chains suffer, they last more than 20,000 miles.
post #6 of 15 Old 04-01-2014, 06:48 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokiesRWee View Post
Will depend on a lot of things, primarily type and frequency of lube, IMHO.

Mine's at nearly 22K miles and seems fine - never needs tightening between tire changes - but I lube well per (V-Tom's?) directions - generally. I lube with gear lube or used motor oil after each fuel-up.

I think V-Tom has used chains for more than 40K miles, but he rides a lot and takes good care of his bike.
As far as taking care of chains I lube (with Wurth HHS2000, called HHS 2K in some places) with every tank of gas and after every ride in the rain. I never clean my chain (no point as it does nothing useful anyway). My chains last from 41,000 to 46,000 miles. Should be able to get 50,000 miles out of them.

The Wurth stuff is great, albeit messy, but I think the important thing is keeping the chain lubed.

..Tom

2006 DL650: 202,000 km 125,500 miles, Sold
2012 DL650 139,500+ km, 86,700+ miles. Sold
2015 DL1000 New July 2015 195,000+ km, 121,000 miles.

This can help preventing from cars pulling out in front of you (SMIDSY)
SMIDSY detailed report.

post #7 of 15 Old 04-01-2014, 08:42 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-Tom View Post
As far as taking care of chains I lube (with Wurth HHS2000, called HHS 2K in some places) with every tank of gas and after every ride in the rain. I never clean my chain (no point as it does nothing useful anyway). My chains last from 41,000 to 46,000 miles. Should be able to get 50,000 miles out of them.

The Wurth stuff is great, albeit messy, but I think the important thing is keeping the chain lubed.

..Tom
Hi Tom.

I think it's the bolded parts of your message that I follow and agree with. We happen to use different lubricants, but that's OK. (I was hoping you'd weigh in...).

2007 Wee. Blue. Bought at 5K miles. Sold at 32K+ miles. Gone but not forgotten.

2012 Wee2 Adventure. Black. Bought at 26K miles. Now 45K+. Love it!
post #8 of 15 Old 04-01-2014, 11:20 PM
Stromthusiast!

Chains don't stretch except for some settling in when new. When the factory grease inside the o-rings fails (or the o-rings fail first), the chain starts to wear rapidly and gets longer due to the excessive clearance between worn pins and rollers.

"Older people who are reasonable, good-tempered, and gracious will bear aging well. Those who are mean-spirited and irritable will be unhappy at every period of their lives.

"Let each of use properly whatever strengths he has and strive to use them well. If he does this, he will never find himself lacking."

Marcus Tullius Cicero
44 B.C.
post #9 of 15 Old 04-02-2014, 07:38 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

thanks!!!!

Thanks for your insight(s).

Mr. Pete----->
aging hippie
post #10 of 15 Old 04-02-2014, 08:35 AM
Stromthusiast!

I also find that the V-Strom needs to have a relatively loose chain. About 1 1/2 inch play in the center of the swingarm. Sure it looks akward and gives some jerkiness in the drive at low rpms, but otherwise, it will be much too tight in situations when the rear suspension is fully or almost fully compressed. Since i have been doing so, I noticed i dont have to adjust the chain, it just stays there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode