What new chain to get? was Probably Greywolf... - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 04-01-2014, 12:36 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

What new chain to get? was Probably Greywolf...

Help me guys. Time to replace the chain & sprockets. Tried finding the threads relating to which chain & sprocket manufacturers/online dealers with best prices etc but after 20 pages or so the eyes started crossing and the mind started wandering way way far away. Kindly point me in the right direction. Chain has a serious tight section (my bad) and even though the sprockets look good the old man always said you do 'em all at once. 15,000 miles and out...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 04-01-2014, 12:41 PM
Stromthusiast!

Popular wisdom says do the change as a set.. chain and sprockets. 15K miles is on the short side of life but improper care will result in that. How the power is applied will be a factor too.
I've paid about 200 bucks for a set at a local outlet. That's just the price of having fun.
There are poverty riders who scour the internet for super sales and the rest of us who bite the bullet.
post #3 of 6 Old 04-01-2014, 12:43 PM
Stromthusiast!

If there is a "the best," nobody knows what it is. There are several top quality chain makers...DID, RK, EK, Renthal, others. Most offer good, very good, and great quality chains, and all these will do the job. Sprockets seem to vary a lot in price, and my mechanic says that even the moderate priced ones work fine.

Make it easy. Shop at your favorite vendor. Make it real easy--shop at a stromtrooper friend...Blair at svracingparts.com

You'll need a chain tool to install the riveted master link. If you can find an experienced person in your town, buy them lunch in exchange for them using their tool to connect your chain. Or buy a good-enough quality one from Cycle Gear or other low cost outlet. Or a pro quality tool from Blair.

"Older people who are reasonable, good-tempered, and gracious will bear aging well. Those who are mean-spirited and irritable will be unhappy at every period of their lives.

"Let each of use properly whatever strengths he has and strive to use them well. If he does this, he will never find himself lacking."

Marcus Tullius Cicero
44 B.C.

post #4 of 6 Old 04-01-2014, 12:49 PM
Stromthusiast!

Those DID 525 chains are expensive! Sunstar are the sprockets I use.

I found a BL O-ring chain on Amazon for $58 bucks (118 links) was thinking about trying it next time just to see how good it is.

Anyway, Amazon seems to have good deals.

2012 Suzuki DL650AL2, over 45k miles already!
post #5 of 6 Old 04-01-2014, 12:53 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Thumbs up Thanks

Yeah after I posted I found the page with Blairs'. I tensioned the chain too tight early on and the "stealer" finished the job when I took it in for the 14,500 mile ream job. I savvy the mechanicinal breaking and pressing etc. Maybe I bite the bullet and pay the local guys that do my tires. When you live on a boat it's hard to work in your non-existent garage. Thanks again.
post #6 of 6 Old 04-01-2014, 05:52 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.T. View Post
Those DID 525 chains are expensive! Sunstar are the sprockets I use.

I found a BL O-ring chain on Amazon for $58 bucks (118 links) was thinking about trying it next time just to see how good it is.

Anyway, Amazon seems to have good deals.
If not one of the major chain manufacturers, I will not but it. Same can be said for brake pads and rotors, for there is a difference.

BRIAN "GO Buckeyes, GO Wildcats"!

2015 DL650 XT "Hector"

1997 Honda Valkyrie 1500 custom “Dolores”

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode