Has anyone customized their OEM footpegs? - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 04-01-2014, 02:03 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Has anyone customized their OEM footpegs?

I'd like to take the rubber out of the equation and using the OEM pegs, weld additional metal to them for a beefier peg.

Anyone do it?

Thanks,
Craig.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 04-01-2014, 03:09 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierpontcraig View Post
I'd like to take the rubber out of the equation and using the OEM pegs, weld additional metal to them for a beefier peg.

Anyone do it?

Thanks,
Craig.
I'd be more inclined to go with the SW Motech pegs. This way you get the best of both. Rubber pads when you want it, and grippy metal teeth for off road. Plus you won't screw up the OEM pegs.

SW-MOTECH On-Road/Off-Road Footpegs for Honda XL1000V Varadero '02-'06, KTM 690 Duke IV '12-'13, Suzuki V-Strom DL1000 '02-'07 & Moto Guzzi Stelvio 1200 4V '08-'09 - TwistedThrottle.com
post #3 of 10 Old 04-01-2014, 09:04 AM
Stromthusiast!

KLR pegs off ebay for $20 fit fit.

DL650 Adventure Trax Box Carrying Handles/Lashing straps. --> click link to view info & how to order: [url]https://www.stromtrooper.com/dl650-2012/80136-trax-box-carry-handles-lashing-straps.html[/url]

post #4 of 10 Old 04-01-2014, 09:16 AM
$tromtrooper

Although I haven't personally tried them, I've read that DR pegs work as well. $15 on Amazon. As easy as it is to change them, you can switch between pegs in a couple minutes.
post #5 of 10 Old 04-01-2014, 09:20 AM
Stromthusiast!

$158 bucks is pretty spendy.

I was just thinking about this, the stockers get pretty slippery when wet. I'm going to order a set of $15 DR footpegs with out the rubbers for a spare set.

BUT the rubber helps dampen vibration and or buzzyness.

I'd really like to get a GIVI skid plate or the OEM plastic guard. Road grime and dirt is really dinging up my motor.

2012 Suzuki DL650AL2, over 45k miles already!

Last edited by D.T.; 04-01-2014 at 10:28 AM.
post #6 of 10 Old 04-01-2014, 10:10 AM
Stromthusiast!

My bike came with the SW motech pegs. They are nice but if you get them, remember adjust your gear shifter and brake pedal. These pegs are lower than stock and as a result, the shifter and brake pedal end up being way too high. The brake pedal does not adjust low enough without cutting off the end of the adjustment bolt. I have to take care of mine one of these weekends.
post #7 of 10 Old 04-01-2014, 10:27 AM
Stromthusiast!

I have these and they are quite nice. Never any issues with vibration so I see no need for a rubber insert. Maybe a little pricey at $129.10

You can get them here:

Suzuki V-Strom DL650 Long Distance Footpegs - Touratech-USA
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ScreenShot078.jpg (12.2 KB, 20 views)
post #8 of 10 Old 04-01-2014, 10:25 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Thank you for the suggestions. Ordered the KLR pegs. They look bomb proof.

Craig.
post #9 of 10 Old 04-02-2014, 12:14 AM
Stromthusiast!

The stock pegs are cast metal, and not very strong. I broke one during a tip over in my flower bed (don't ask!). I bought the spendy SW Motech replacements. They are machined billet, the rubber insert is removable, and they are hell for stout. Something else will break before they will, that's for sure.
post #10 of 10 Old 04-02-2014, 05:08 AM
Stromthusiast!

Just installed these recently and went for one real ride since. Like the lower position and agree need to adjust the shifter/brake lever but with my stiff boots was having trouble getting under the shifter to begin with. They are pricey but hopefully will pay off in time.

Keep Calm, Fly-fish
------------------------------------------------------------
L2 Glee White- birthday 17 JAN 13
Farkles last to first: MFW Hwy pegs, Russell Daylong, Givi 3D604 tank bag, Motech Pegs, Madstad bracket&adv windshield, Tuono mirrors, Uclear HBC200 headset, E45 topcase, Cree driving lights w/Motech brackets,14T Sprocket, bar riser, E21 panniers, Stich heated grips/outlet, EB PC8, RR Fork Brace, Kouba link, Barkbusters, SW-Motech Centerstand/Skidplate/Crash Bars.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode