Givi AirFlow AF3101 - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 98 Old 03-31-2014, 10:19 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
 
DaveinNC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Murder City
Posts: 3,744
Givi AirFlow AF3101

Well, Twisted Throttle has an awesome price, 147.00 but none in stock, so I backordered one. They said about a week to ship. I dont get much buffeting at all but some noise in my helmet and I like the fact that it is adjustable for different riding/weather conditions, it kind of looks cool too. I have read nothing but rave reviews on this shield and since from time to time I have been known to dissapear for weeks at a time and come home 10,000 miles later I figured I could use the added protection.

I will post up a ride report once I get it in and installed. This should be the last and final farkle for the new adv bike.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg af3101.jpg (28.0 KB, 261 views)

"Dave"

If You're Gonna Be Stupid, You Better Be Hard, because stupid hurts!
I no longer own a V Strom, but I'm still here because its the best bike forum going!
DaveinNC is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 98 Old 03-31-2014, 10:23 AM
Stromthusiast!
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: NJ
Posts: 499
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinNC View Post
Well, Twisted Throttle has an awesome price, 147.00 but none in stock, so I backordered one. They said about a week to ship. I dont get much buffeting at all but some noise in my helmet and I like the fact that it is adjustable for different riding/weather conditions, it kind of looks cool too. I have read nothing but rave reviews on this shield and since from time to time I have been known to dissapear for weeks at a time and come home 10,000 miles later I figured I could use the added protection.

I will post up a ride report once I get it in and installed. This should be the last and final farkle for the new adv bike.
I have been considering this as something to get down the road if buffeting is a problem for me, but the only thing is, to me it takes a lot of the sporty look away from the bike (which is one of the reasons i like the vstrom, its more sporty than other bikes of the type imo). regardless, i still might get it if needed, i just wish they made one a little more sporty looking.
bandroidx is offline  
post #3 of 98 Old 03-31-2014, 11:06 AM
Stromthusiast!
 
MGinVA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: RVA
Posts: 37
Awesome price for sure. Good luck.

I had emailed to verify the price and then ordered the one in stock when I noticed this last Tuesday, but what I actually received was NOT the AF3101, but the D3101 (one piece). Talked to TT, appears to be an error in their system.

I am currently waiting on the replacement.
MGinVA is offline  
 
post #4 of 98 Old 03-31-2014, 01:28 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
 
DaveinNC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Murder City
Posts: 3,744
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGinVA View Post
Awesome price for sure. Good luck.

I had emailed to verify the price and then ordered the one in stock when I noticed this last Tuesday, but what I actually received was NOT the AF3101, but the D3101 (one piece). Talked to TT, appears to be an error in their system.

I am currently waiting on the replacement.
Ut oh, I hope that dont happen to me.

"Dave"

If You're Gonna Be Stupid, You Better Be Hard, because stupid hurts!
I no longer own a V Strom, but I'm still here because its the best bike forum going!
DaveinNC is online now  
post #5 of 98 Old 03-31-2014, 04:43 PM
Stromthusiast!
 
bosnjo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Portugal
Posts: 954
4 months now since I installed my Givi Airflow on Glee.

Two things to keep in mind:
1 - Buffeting and wind protection doesn't work on Givi Airflow the way we think before we get one. Logic says, the higher the screen, the better protection. But, that's not the case with Givi Airflow. This screen works by creating high air pressure by compressing the air in the "box" between two screens. The higher you pull the top screen, the lower the pressure is created in the box. You need the pressure because , after created, it shoots the pressurized air vertically. Actually, that pressurized vertical air stream acts as invisible screen. Genious, isn't it? When I received it, I mounted my screen on top holes and rose top screen just to barely look over it. It was way better in terms of buffeting then my previous 3 screens but there was still some present. Then I remembered the storry about pressurized air and lowered it to half way of adjustment, still mounted on top holes. That was real brakethrough. 90% of buffeting was solved. Tried again to rise it and buffeting was back. So kept it down on half way.
2 - After getting Givi Airflow, Glee really needs wind deflectors. There is a sticky about those deflectors. I posted mines there as well. After deflectors installed, further 5% of buffeting was gone. So, 95% is solved now. The rest of 5% of buffeting and some, very little wind noise is surely due to my poor modular helmet. Saving now for Schuberth C3 Pro to solve the remaining 5%.

2017 DL1000 White
2014 DL1000 Red (sold)
2012 DL650 White (sold)
bosnjo is offline  
post #6 of 98 Old 03-31-2014, 05:48 PM
Stromthusiast!
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Illinois
Posts: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by bosnjo View Post
Buffeting and wind protection doesn't work on Givi Airflow the way we think before we get one.
I have had my Givi airflow for about 6 months now.

I can attest to the above statement. It doesn't seem to matter what position I have the adjustable screen in, the wind protection and buffeting are about the same (which is to say, very good).

I have noticed that the airflow does a good job of keeping small bugs off of my helmet visor even though I am not looking through the windshield. Bigger bugs will still hit the helmet visor though.

I have also found that lowering the adjustable windshield all the way down helps a lot during high winds.

2012 V-Strom 650 Adventure, 2008 YZ250 2 Stroke Woods Weapon
crash_bandicoot is offline  
post #7 of 98 Old 03-31-2014, 05:58 PM
 
Harry Dresden PI's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Space Coast Florida
Posts: 272
Same issue with ordering

I had the wrong windscreen sent to me from Twisted Throttle and spoke with them on the phone.

Seems that Givi may have mixed product and the TT web site may need an update.

TT customer service called around for me towards a location source and when they could not find one in stock within 150 miles of me, they called Sporttour who had 3 in stock.

I am expecting it Tuesday from my order a few days ago.

Hats off to Twisted Throttle Customer Service and Sporttour for helping out.

UPDATE 04 - 01 - 2014

Replacing the stock OEM windscreen with the Givi.
Received the AF3101 Givi Windscreen from my 2012 DL650A today from Sporttour.
Box was undamaged and the product arrived in great condition.
Install took about 15 minutes (Slow as the first time I removed and installed a screen on this bike and instructions are limited from Givi)
Looks good. Noted the warning about parking the bike in the sun due to the lens effect of the double screens.

Need to take my 6'3" self for a ride to see how the screen helps with the wind.

#045 Harry Dresden PI

Last edited by Harry Dresden PI; 04-01-2014 at 11:00 AM. Reason: UPDATE
Harry Dresden PI is offline  
post #8 of 98 Old 04-01-2014, 04:32 AM
Stromthusiast!
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Spain
Posts: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by bosnjo View Post
4 months now since I installed my Givi Airflow on Glee.

Two things to keep in mind:
1 - Buffeting and wind protection doesn't work on Givi Airflow the way we think before we get one. Logic says, the higher the screen, the better protection. But, that's not the case with Givi Airflow. This screen works by creating high air pressure by compressing the air in the "box" between two screens. The higher you pull the top screen, the lower the pressure is created in the box. You need the pressure because , after created, it shoots the pressurized air vertically. Actually, that pressurized vertical air stream acts as invisible screen. Genious, isn't it? When I received it, I mounted my screen on top holes and rose top screen just to barely look over it. It was way better in terms of buffeting then my previous 3 screens but there was still some present. Then I remembered the storry about pressurized air and lowered it to half way of adjustment, still mounted on top holes. That was real brakethrough. 90% of buffeting was solved. Tried again to rise it and buffeting was back. So kept it down on half way.
2 - After getting Givi Airflow, Glee really needs wind deflectors. There is a sticky about those deflectors. I posted mines there as well. After deflectors installed, further 5% of buffeting was gone. So, 95% is solved now. The rest of 5% of buffeting and some, very little wind noise is surely due to my poor modular helmet. Saving now for Schuberth C3 Pro to solve the remaining 5%.
Perfect explanation of how Airflow screen works. Also, wind deflectors are a "must have" for me.
boni_y_yo is offline  
post #9 of 98 Old 04-01-2014, 01:34 PM
Stromthusiast!
 
twistedthrottle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Exeter, RI (RT. 3)
Posts: 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Dresden PI View Post
I had the wrong windscreen sent to me from Twisted Throttle and spoke with them on the phone.

Seems that Givi may have mixed product and the TT web site may need an update.

TT customer service called around for me towards a location source and when they could not find one in stock within 150 miles of me, they called Sporttour who had 3 in stock.

I am expecting it Tuesday from my order a few days ago.

Hats off to Twisted Throttle Customer Service and Sporttour for helping out.

UPDATE 04 - 01 - 2014

Replacing the stock OEM windscreen with the Givi.
Received the AF3101 Givi Windscreen from my 2012 DL650A today from Sporttour.
Box was undamaged and the product arrived in great condition.
Install took about 15 minutes (Slow as the first time I removed and installed a screen on this bike and instructions are limited from Givi)
Looks good. Noted the warning about parking the bike in the sun due to the lens effect of the double screens.

Need to take my 6'3" self for a ride to see how the screen helps with the wind.
Phew.... Glad we came through for you. Thanks for being understanding. Who was the CS rep here at Twisted Throttle? I want to let them know they did a good job.

Kevin
twistedthrottle is offline  
post #10 of 98 Old 04-01-2014, 03:57 PM
Stromthusiast!
 
MGinVA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: RVA
Posts: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Dresden PI View Post
I had the wrong windscreen sent to me from Twisted Throttle and spoke with them on the phone.

Seems that Givi may have mixed product and the TT web site may need an update.

TT customer service called around for me towards a location source and when they could not find one in stock within 150 miles of me, they called Sporttour who had 3 in stock.

I am expecting it Tuesday from my order a few days ago.

Hats off to Twisted Throttle Customer Service and Sporttour for helping out.

UPDATE 04 - 01 - 2014

Replacing the stock OEM windscreen with the Givi.
Received the AF3101 Givi Windscreen from my 2012 DL650A today from Sporttour.
Box was undamaged and the product arrived in great condition.
Install took about 15 minutes (Slow as the first time I removed and installed a screen on this bike and instructions are limited from Givi)
Looks good. Noted the warning about parking the bike in the sun due to the lens effect of the double screens.

Need to take my 6'3" self for a ride to see how the screen helps with the wind.
Man am I ever jealous! I'll not bore anyone with the details but in a nutshell: I spotted this on TT's site last Tuesday, received the wrong shield Thursday and immediately contacted TT about the error, was told Friday morning the correct shield was in stock at Givi and to "sit tight"... then received an email yesterday that the shield was back-ordered until the 14th.

Don't get me wrong... this is a smokin' price and TT has certainly done me right in the past (as I am sure they will on this one)... but I have to wonder why I didn't get the same red carpet service as described above. Is my name Skip?
MGinVA is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Closed Thread

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome