Install SVRacing Sliders At The Dealer? - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 03-31-2014, 04:41 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Install SVRacing Sliders At The Dealer?

Guys, looks like tuesday will finally be the pickup date for my bike after a rain out on friday.

Anyone with experience with the svracing sliders can tell me if you think I could handle doing it in the dealer parking lot?

Anyone with an install video?

I would really like to get the sliders installed before I ride the bike just incase. I dont want to pay the dealer $200 for something that seems simple though.

From what I can tell all I need is 2 adjustable wrenches, 2 17mm socket wrenches, and an allen wrench.

At the same time, I dont want to look like a complete idiot if I go to do it in the dealer parking lot and cant finish it due to missing tools or something lol. then they will just sit and laugh at me for not paying them to do it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 03-31-2014, 07:25 AM
Stromthusiast!

I put mine on myself and I'm not the most mechanically inclined person in the world. The 200.00 you save you can buy more stuff for your bike. I think I had to purchace a huge cresent wrench I did not have. I would also wait till you get home before putting them on but that is just me.
post #3 of 13 Old 03-31-2014, 07:41 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Fester View Post
I put mine on myself and I'm not the most mechanically inclined person in the world. The 200.00 you save you can buy more stuff for your bike. I think I had to purchace a huge cresent wrench I did not have. I would also wait till you get home before putting them on but that is just me.
I was planning on that, but if something were to happen between the storage unit and the dealer i would frigan kick myself. i have never ridden the vstrom before in my life (or a tall adventure bike period) all my experience has been on a 250 and a ninja 500, and that was 10 years ago. my only other experience within the past 10 years was the 4 hour private lesson i did on a 250 with the msf people.

it seems like it might be something i can do in the parking lot after reading the instructions several times.

looks like i need 2 x 17mm sockets, to undo the engine bolt. i then pull that bolt out while pushing in the new cross bolt. (this part scares me, is there a risk of it binding up as i push it through due to the weight of the engine? also i am worried if i dont follow it through properly, the entire engine will dislodge?)

then i put on the spacers, and hand screw on the end pieces, then tighten them with wrenches on both side at the same time. then screw on the slider pucks with an allen wrench. seems easy enough. the one bonus of doing it at the dealer in the parking lot is if i mess up i dont have to get it towed there to get it fixed lol.

post #4 of 13 Old 03-31-2014, 08:11 AM
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT

Garage
The cross bolt does not bear engine weight. It will come right out.

Pat- 2007 DL650A was ridden to all 48 contiguous states. I didn't quite make it to 17,000 miles on the 2012 DL650A.
Nicknames I use to lessen typing, Vee = 2002-2012 DL1000s. Vee2=2014-2016 DL1000s. Wee = 2004-2011 DL650s. Glee = 2012-2016 DL650s
See https://www.stromtrooper.com/general-...nicknames.html

Please vote in the poll on what Strom(s) you have at https://www.stromtrooper.com/informat...-you-have.html
post #5 of 13 Old 03-31-2014, 08:26 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywolf View Post
The cross bolt does not bear engine weight. It will come right out.
Excellent, thanks much greywolf.
post #6 of 13 Old 03-31-2014, 11:49 AM
Stromthusiast!

Test-assemble the sliders and determine what tools you'll need. You can measure the length of the original bolt and then assemble the sliders on your bench with their bolt. See what wrenches fit. I had to use a deep socket, and I Loctited one nut into place just to hold it there so the other nut would start. You might have different results, but give it a try on the bench.

"Older people who are reasonable, good-tempered, and gracious will bear aging well. Those who are mean-spirited and irritable will be unhappy at every period of their lives.

"Let each of use properly whatever strengths he has and strive to use them well. If he does this, he will never find himself lacking."

Marcus Tullius Cicero
44 B.C.
post #7 of 13 Old 03-31-2014, 12:15 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandroidx View Post
I was planning on that, but if something were to happen between the storage unit and the dealer i would frigan kick myself. i have never ridden the vstrom before in my life (or a tall adventure bike period) all my experience has been on a 250 and a ninja 500, and that was 10 years ago. my only other experience within the past 10 years was the 4 hour private lesson i did on a 250 with the msf people.
If you are so afraid, then the safest option would ask and pay the dealer to deliver the bike in your place.
I had the same feeling when I bought my first bike. I did not have endorsement, so the previous owner delivered that.
My latest VStrom was bought recently, winter time and snow outside. I had no questions, just paid the US$50.00 and they delivered that in my place.
You may also have a friend with a truck that can haul the bike.
It seems to me that sliders are not your only concern. Better safe than sorry.
post #8 of 13 Old 03-31-2014, 12:24 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauloxxi View Post
If you are so afraid, then the safest option would ask and pay the dealer to deliver the bike in your place.
I had the same feeling when I bought my first bike. I did not have endorsement, so the previous owner delivered that.
My latest VStrom was bought recently, winter time and snow outside. I had no questions, just paid the US$50.00 and they delivered that in my place.
You may also have a friend with a truck that can haul the bike.
It seems to me that sliders are not your only concern. Better safe than sorry.
I feel confident getting it home, its more for piece of mind. I practiced installing the sliders off the bike and I am confident I can get them installed in 15-20 minutes if nothing crazy happens when installing them, so I might just do it at the dealer. I like the idea of doing it at the dealer so if something unexpected happens during the install, I can wheel the bike in their garage and pay them whatever to fix it. I may just how I feel when I get to the dealer and decide then. I really dont want to mess with hauling the bike in a truck unless I absolutely have to and its actually not that far from my storage unit (maybe 15 minutes and I can actually take all back roads if I wanted to or a combination of back roads and a highway with no lights)

Like I said its mostly for piece of mind, I think I will ride more confident knowing if I flub it up and drop it at a stop I am not going to hurt my new baby
post #9 of 13 Old 03-31-2014, 01:01 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
I put a set on my SV650 and it took 15 minutes tops. Very easy install, just need the right tools to be able to get the socket down in there. Bring a socket for both ends so you can tighten it down. You might need a breaker bar for the bolt.

You should be able to handle it in the parking lot.

Enjoy the ride!!!

"Never annoy what you can't out run!"

2012 Wee 2 Adventure
2006 SV650 Naked!
1981 Yamaha XS650
1980 Yamaha XS650
1978 Kawasaki KZ750

Last edited by YinYang; 03-31-2014 at 01:13 PM.
post #10 of 13 Old 03-31-2014, 01:34 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by YinYang View Post
I put a set on my SV650 and it took 15 minutes tops. Very easy install, just need the right tools to be able to get the socket down in there. Bring a socket for both ends so you can tighten it down. You might need a breaker bar for the bolt.

You should be able to handle it in the parking lot.

Enjoy the ride!!!

Yeah a breaker bar makes sense, I assume that bolt will be torqued pretty tight. I think luckily I have one in my truck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode