StromTrooper banner

PCV on a 2012 650

1K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  MightGixxeR 
#1 ·
A friend gave me a Power Commander 5 for my 650 Adventure. The PCV has the capability of two separate maps. I was thinking about putting it on a dyno and using one channel for max performance and the other for max fuel mileage setting it for 14.7:1 fuel ratio. I was considering wiring it to the emergency flashers switch so I could toggle between the two maps as needed. So as not to reinvent the wheel, so to speak, has anyone ever done this?

#3 ·
Just my two cents...... it would be fun to experiment, BUT, I have a PCV on one of my other bikes, which it needs to solve a specific problem with lean fueling/surging. Those with more experience with a Wee could tell you if it has "problems" or not with the fuel map, but I gather these are far and few between.
Squeezing a couple of horsepower out of a bike like this gains you what? Poor fuel mileage for one, and not that you'd notice the horsepower (if in fact you gained any at all on this bike by PCV alone).
Maximizing fuel economy, is likely to cause you issues like running lean, surging or stumbling..... again, if there's no problem to begin with.....
The better option with older Wee's is likely an SV cam set, but with 2012+, aren't you already there?

#4 ·
I probably wouldn't care about a maximum fuel economy map as I doubt it would be so much different than stock. However if you're interested in improving the bike's performance, particularly if you plan on a less restrictive air filter and exhaust you could probably dial in some interesting performance gains, not that its going to turn into a ZX14 or anything but some at least.

#5 ·
Interesting responses. Thanks, I think it will stay on the shelf for now.:thumbup: I did the same experiment on my 06 FJR and it made a large difference in mileage, 42 to 50 mpg, and a subtle difference in performance. For the FJR, after 126,000 miles, it paid for itself in gas costs over the life of the bike so far.:hurray:

#7 ·
I install a PCV in a Versys I owned... it was an interesting experiment, trying different maps and so but you know, before I sold it I take out the PCV and I feel the bike very good, maybe better... I don´t know.
But for a bike like these I will leave it as it is. For long rides I prefer not to deal with electronic problems, you know... it´s one less variable that could fail or cause problems... I think it´s funny for a pure street or race bike.
Just my opinion!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.