PCV on a 2012 650 - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 03-29-2014, 10:30 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

PCV on a 2012 650

A friend gave me a Power Commander 5 for my 650 Adventure. The PCV has the capability of two separate maps. I was thinking about putting it on a dyno and using one channel for max performance and the other for max fuel mileage setting it for 14.7:1 fuel ratio. I was considering wiring it to the emergency flashers switch so I could toggle between the two maps as needed. So as not to reinvent the wheel, so to speak, has anyone ever done this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 03-29-2014, 10:59 AM
Stromthusiast!

If your bike is running fine now I'd stay away from the PCV. It's been nothing but an annoyance for me.
post #3 of 8 Old 03-29-2014, 01:04 PM
Stromthusiast!

Just my two cents...... it would be fun to experiment, BUT, I have a PCV on one of my other bikes, which it needs to solve a specific problem with lean fueling/surging. Those with more experience with a Wee could tell you if it has "problems" or not with the fuel map, but I gather these are far and few between.
Squeezing a couple of horsepower out of a bike like this gains you what? Poor fuel mileage for one, and not that you'd notice the horsepower (if in fact you gained any at all on this bike by PCV alone).
Maximizing fuel economy, is likely to cause you issues like running lean, surging or stumbling..... again, if there's no problem to begin with.....
The better option with older Wee's is likely an SV cam set, but with 2012+, aren't you already there?

post #4 of 8 Old 03-29-2014, 01:37 PM
Stromthusiast!

I probably wouldn't care about a maximum fuel economy map as I doubt it would be so much different than stock. However if you're interested in improving the bike's performance, particularly if you plan on a less restrictive air filter and exhaust you could probably dial in some interesting performance gains, not that its going to turn into a ZX14 or anything but some at least.

Joe S.
'14 HD FLHR
'12 Concours
'11 DL650
'01 HD FXD
'09 HD XR1200
'79 BMW R100
post #5 of 8 Old 03-29-2014, 03:04 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Interesting responses. Thanks, I think it will stay on the shelf for now. I did the same experiment on my 06 FJR and it made a large difference in mileage, 42 to 50 mpg, and a subtle difference in performance. For the FJR, after 126,000 miles, it paid for itself in gas costs over the life of the bike so far.
post #6 of 8 Old 03-29-2014, 03:54 PM
Stromthusiast!

If you want to sell it for cheap, I may be interested. :mrgreen:

I just like tinkering with them.

2012 Suzuki DL650AL2, over 45k miles already!
post #7 of 8 Old 04-03-2014, 10:24 AM
Stromthusiast!

I install a PCV in a Versys I owned... it was an interesting experiment, trying different maps and so but you know, before I sold it I take out the PCV and I feel the bike very good, maybe better... I donīt know.
But for a bike like these I will leave it as it is. For long rides I prefer not to deal with electronic problems, you know... itīs one less variable that could fail or cause problems... I think itīs funny for a pure street or race bike.
Just my opinion!
post #8 of 8 Old 04-16-2014, 08:11 AM
Stromthusiast!

if you have exhaust mod's or filter might be worth it. I have one on mt other Suzi and made a big difference- again bike is quite modified.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode