Short term wiring solution for GPS on the '12 650 - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old 03-27-2014, 10:51 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Short term wiring solution for GPS on the '12 650

If you are thinking of a short term wiring solution for your GPS on your '12 650, perhaps this will be of some little use. The post will be updated with the final couple of pics once the solution is finalised.

(1) Remove seat.
Short term, you can simply run the cable(s) straight to your battery if you think you will not forget to turn of the GPS once you switch off your engine.
If your method of fastening the other (GPS unit) end of the cables is detachable (as this will be), then you can even store the cable/5 volt connector under your seat in the small storage space behind the battery if you need to.

(2) Running the cable.
You can run the cable along the line between tank and plastic tank covers easily. See following pics for more detail.

(3) Putting the cable behind the tank cover's fastening point, in order to avoid catching the cable and pulling on in inadvertently. Need an Allen key.

...then the cable is easily neatly tucked away...

(4) The normal gap between tank cover and tank is perfect for running the cable. Straighten any twists and kinks out of the cable. You can use your finger tip to push the cable into the gap without trouble.

...then as you can see a slight tug shows how snug the fit is...

(5) The GPS end of the cable.
In my case, there is an in-line fuse near the 5 volt adaptor unit. If you can run the cable so that it is not sticking out half way along the tank cover, great.

(6) The 5 volt adaptor (this one has cigar lighter and USB).

Top view.

Front view.

Bottom view - it has a slide-on-and-lock attachment to the handle-bar connector.

(7) The GPS unit's bracket and the space to store the 5v adaptor inside the fairing cavity/well below the handlebars.

I will use the handle-bar attachment around those (thick) cable runs there to keep the 5v adaptor out of light rain. At some spoint I will find a way to mount the 5v adaptor to one side, inside the cavity. The adaptor is only a few grams and will place no stress on anything it is attached to.

On my naked W400 I put a small, thick plastic bag over the adaptor once the GPS was connected to it, and used 2 removable cable ties (zip ties?) to keep out all but the worst rain.

I want a proper solution for the strom, but have yet to find a waterproof 12v-5v adaptor that will enable me to connect the GPS unit as it has a barrel connector (the 4mm extorior, 1.8mm interior type). Similar to the one here shown 2nd from the right (yellow).
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...ohlstecker.jpg

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
2012 V-strom 650 (Japan model). Suzuki centre-stand. SW-Motech engine guards. Givi Monokey topbox-mount / Kappa 48L box. Suzuki knuckle guards. Suzuki grip heaters. 25mm lowering kit.
Fuel http://www.fuelly.com/driver/staninjapan/dl650
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 03-28-2014, 01:02 AM
$tromtrooper

Hey now, that works. Fused wires to the battery protects the rest of the bike and the worst you get is a run down battery if you forget to turn it off. Carry on I say.

DSR650.

DualSport Rider 650
2012 DL650A-L2 ABS ADV
2003 KLR650

Last edited by DSRider650; 03-30-2014 at 11:22 PM.
post #3 of 3 Old 03-30-2014, 10:30 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Added info about GPS adapters

As I found out on the page linked below (in Japanese), if you have one of a number of fairly recent Sony GPS units (I have NV-U77V), and like me you broke your USB-DC barrel shaped adapter, please be assured that you can simply use a Sony PSP USB charger cable, as the barrel type DC connector, also shown 2nd pic from the top of the linked page, is the same size and voltage.

So even though a host of electrical shops (here in Japan) told me yesterday I would have to order a part from sony, it seems that's not the case, as I said above after discovering this blog (linked).

SONY nav-u NV-U77V:NNG管理者日誌 -改訂版-:So-netブ*グ

I ordered this

Amazon.co.jpF PLATA ( v^ ) SONY PSP vCXe[V|[^u p USB [d P[u: ƓdEJ

2012 V-strom 650 (Japan model). Suzuki centre-stand. SW-Motech engine guards. Givi Monokey topbox-mount / Kappa 48L box. Suzuki knuckle guards. Suzuki grip heaters. 25mm lowering kit.
Fuel http://www.fuelly.com/driver/staninjapan/dl650
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
2012 v-strom dl 650 , gps , wiring

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode