Hi Willy. The aluminum angle was attached to the sliding part of the clamp with Alumiweld (an aluminum soldering product). That stuff is really strong, but to be sure I also used two small screws as insurance. I doubt if they were necessary. Based on my recent experiences with JB Weld, that would probably work as well as Alumiweld.
Eventually I replaced the socket head bolts with some handwheels I made, so I wouldn't have to use a hex wrench to get the bags off. These are older photos I put in the album, from before I made the handwheels.
The clamps are tightened once the bag is in place. You just squeeze the top and bottom together and tighten the bolt. The spring was mainly a safety device; it kept spring pressure on the clamp to keep it closed in the unlikely event that the socket head bolt (or the handwheel) loosened while traveling. Eventually I took the springs off, since I never had any issues with the handwheels loosening.
If you find yourself wanting to do something similar, let me know and I can take some additional photos. I still have the bags, though I'm not using them at the moment.
Oh, and I added another photo album to my profile, showing the construction of my luggage rack. I've been trying to consolidate all these various projects into photo albums, rather than having them spread throughout the various threads.
"No matter where you go, there you are."
Last edited by RCinNC; 03-29-2014 at 12:02 PM.