Tire Change Mid-Trip - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 Old 03-25-2014, 04:40 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Tire Change Mid-Trip

I am planning a May ride to the Southwest from Seattle and expect the ride to last 3 - 4 week and 5000 - 6000 miles. When I leave Seattle in early May, I estimate I will have about 3800 miles on the original tires, Bridgestone 152 Trailwings. Bike was purchased new in March 2013. Yeah, yeah, I know-- I need to get out more.

Tires look fine now -- lots of tread life left. I'm a conservative rider and pay attention to tire pressure, etc. Most of my riding is on pavement, with very limited gravel road travel.

My questions are: How many miles can I expect from these tires? Do they wear out evenly?

I think I should have a contingency plan for replacing these tires mid-trip if they show significant loss of tread. I don't do tire changes myself -- don't have the equipment, nor the inclination to learn how. But I don't want to limp into some cycle dealer on the road and pay his prices for both the tires and the installation.

Comments, suggestions and recommendations will be appreciated. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 03-25-2014, 04:51 PM
Banned

most of my rear tires have lasted 5-7000 miles. It's quite likely you will need a change mid-trip.

your options:

1) pay dealership prices for a new tire/install on the road
2) pack the spare tire with you, and change at a dealership while on the road
3) pre-ship the tire to a friendly installer somewhere on the road.
4) Before you leave, mount a new tire for the trip.

If you do your own tire changes, #4 is best.
post #3 of 21 Old 03-25-2014, 04:58 PM
$tromtrooper

I changed my front Trailwing at 12200 miles. It had some tread left but it was cupped causing decel wobble. I changed the rear at 8200 miles, it was almost to the wear bars.

post #4 of 21 Old 03-25-2014, 08:43 PM
$tromtrooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRench View Post
My questions are: How many miles can I expect from these tires? Do they wear out evenly?

. But I don't want to limp into some cycle dealer on the road and pay his prices for both the tires and the installation.

Comments, suggestions and recommendations will be appreciated. Thanks.
I changed my stock rear at about 6k. Your mileage might vary. Really meaningless because of so many variables.

What I do......
I often change tires before they're worn if planning a trip. Last thing I want is to shop for tires in some strange city. Too many unknowns....prices, selection, service.
post #5 of 21 Old 03-25-2014, 09:56 PM
Stromthusiast!

Last year I knew I'd need a new tire part way into a trip. I posted up on ADVrider in a thread for that area (Colorado Springs) asking for recommendation on a tire dealer who sold the Heidenau's I wanted. Got several responses, called the recommended places and compared prices then ordered and paid for a tire to be waiting for me. I even scheduled an appointment to have it done as my riding schedule had me in that town for a couple days.

Worked out great. When I got there my front fork seal was leaking, so because they already had me scheduled it wasn't a big deal to add that to the shop request.

[URL=http://s168.photobucket.com/user/jclovesu247/media/VisitedStatesMap_zpsf76dca46.jpg.html][IMG]http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u179/jclovesu247/VisitedStatesMap_zpsf76dca46.jpg[/IMG][/URL]
post #6 of 21 Old 03-25-2014, 11:24 PM
Stromthusiast!

Change it in April before your trip....

2012 Wee 650 pearl white
GJ R-vus
post #7 of 21 Old 03-26-2014, 03:02 AM
Stromthusiast!

I'm sure tyres know when they're getting worn as they seem to pick up punctures much more easily.

I personally would change the tyres before the trip, so that you have nice new un-squared rubber to enjoy the bends, and then keep the part worn ones as spares.
post #8 of 21 Old 03-26-2014, 06:05 AM
Stromthusiast!

I was in your position and decided not to change the tire before the trip. The tire looked great right up until I did a long stretch of 80mph plus riding in Utah which just killed the poor thing. I ended up having to change it in Wyoming and it cost about 2 1/2 times what I expected ($440)
post #9 of 21 Old 03-26-2014, 07:42 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbetts View Post
I was in your position and decided not to change the tire before the trip. The tire looked great right up until I did a long stretch of 80mph plus riding in Utah which just killed the poor thing. I ended up having to change it in Wyoming and it cost about 2 1/2 times what I expected ($440)
That would be my concern... having to deal with an unknown dealer charging excessive prices. I would get those tires replaced before the trip and keep the old tires at home for spares.

Can't say I blame you, tire changing on a cycle is not something I want to do on the road.

Darin
post #10 of 21 Old 03-26-2014, 08:40 AM
Stromthusiast!

If you don't want anything to do with changing the tire yourself, have a stealer put new ones on before you leave. But why would you want to throw away perfectly good tires?

You can't have your cake and eat it too. Tire cost at dealers is about 50% more that what you can get them on the internet.

Cheapest option is to have a tire you ordered from Motorcycle superstore (or other) shipped to you (somewhere) and use shadetree mechanics and tools at the campsite or gas station and DIY.

2012 Suzuki DL650AL2, over 45k miles already!

Last edited by D.T.; 03-26-2014 at 10:47 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode