Wiring Weekend - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 03-23-2014, 04:55 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Wiring Weekend

Another V-strom Rite Of Passage completed this weekend: I installed the Eastern Beaver headlight relay and the PC8 fuse box. Many thanks to Greywolf for his help.

I built a little platform with a wiring loom for the PC8, so I could run wires underneath the fusebox and save on some space inside the tool tray. It all worked out well, and since nothing exploded when I turned the ignition on, it appears to be a success. The headlights definitely seem brighter.

I made the 12 volt outlet mounts on the handlebar clamps out of some scrap aluminum angle I had in my garage. Please excuse the mismatched bolts; I used what I had until my order from McMaster-Carr gets here.

I've attached some photos, in case anyone wants to adapt my ideas to their own use.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0775.JPG (77.4 KB, 144 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0780.JPG (78.4 KB, 138 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0812.JPG (78.1 KB, 170 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0814.JPG (74.4 KB, 135 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0818.JPG (76.6 KB, 174 views)

"No matter where you go, there you are."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 03-23-2014, 09:03 PM
Stromthusiast!

nice job

well you did a nice clean job on your installation.Good job. I also did wiring on sat. i installed pc-8,h4 headlight wiring,2 10 watt have to install lights on fork tubes and still have to install and wire up led hand guards so i know the time it takes.
post #3 of 16 Old 03-23-2014, 10:49 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Thumbs up 12V outlet and mount

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCinNC View Post
I made the 12 volt outlet mounts on the handlebar clamps out of some scrap aluminum angle I had in my garage.
That outlet mount is nifty. Thanks for the idea.

What is the manufacturer and part number for that "ALL WEATHER" 12V socket? Does it look like it will resist water incursion when in use?

post #4 of 16 Old 03-24-2014, 12:35 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trepidator View Post
That outlet mount is nifty. Thanks for the idea.

What is the manufacturer and part number for that "ALL WEATHER" 12V socket? Does it look like it will resist water incursion when in use?
You're welcome. I saw a similar thing on Twisted Throttle's website, and I figured I could make them myself for a lot less than twenty bucks each.

The power outlet is made by Custom Accessories Inc. I got it from O'Reilly Auto Parts (part number 10749), $12.49 each. It looks like it will be really weather resistant; the cover has a very strong spring to keep it closed, and there is a rubber gasket inside the cover that seals against the body of the outlet. The point where the wires enter the outlet is sealed with something similar to shrink tubing. It would probably leak if it was submerged, but I think it will be fine in a hard rain.

post #5 of 16 Old 03-24-2014, 12:39 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2wheelsadam View Post
well you did a nice clean job on your installation.Good job. I also did wiring on sat. i installed pc-8,h4 headlight wiring,2 10 watt have to install lights on fork tubes and still have to install and wire up led hand guards so i know the time it takes.
Thanks Adam. Yeah, it was definitely time consuming. I took the tank off so I could run all the wires inside the frame for a clean install, so it definitely wasn't a quick process.

post #6 of 16 Old 03-24-2014, 08:19 AM
Stromthusiast!

Very cool! Looks well done.

I also have a lot of electrical to do when I pick up my bike.

I am installing the back-off xp using the eastern beaver adapter

a scorpio i900 alarm (using a factory harness which appears it will go between the eastern beaver backup xp cable and the factory harness)

HID head lights (going to try to put the slim digital balasts behind the dash cluster)

OEM 12v accessory outlet kit

I will have my work cut out for me!
post #7 of 16 Old 03-24-2014, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCinNC View Post
Thanks Adam. Yeah, it was definitely time consuming. I took the tank off so I could run all the wires inside the frame for a clean install, so it definitely wasn't a quick process.

I didn't take my tank off to run my wires like that. The PC-8 looks great, but way to expensive, $10.00 I got a fuse panel/block that works just the same. To each his own.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
post #8 of 16 Old 03-24-2014, 10:46 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by danhikeski View Post
I didn't take my tank off to run my wires like that. The PC-8 looks great, but way to expensive, $10.00 I got a fuse panel/block that works just the same. To each his own.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
I had to change the air filter. The tank was off anyway, so it was a good time to do the wiring job too.

I always save money where I can, and I build a lot of my own stuff for the bike; however, I sprung for the PC8 because for me it was the most compact and neatest installation for a power distribution box.

post #9 of 16 Old 03-24-2014, 12:32 PM
Stromthusiast!

Your voltmeter install

That's a real nice install of your PC8! Might do something similar. I noticed your voltmeter in your photo of the 12V outlets and, if you have time, I'd really be interested in more pics zeroing in on how you mounted/ installed it .

'73 Penton Jackpiner
'73 BMW 600/5
'72 Norton Commando
'03 Harley FLHTCUI
'12 VStrom 650 w/ Parabellum w/s, Happy Trail panniers, Terry Adcox seat,BarkBusters
Still have 'em.
post #10 of 16 Old 03-24-2014, 02:50 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Thanks Willy. The voltmeter came from Amazon (Amazon.com: Waterproof 12V Red LED Digital Car/Auto Voltmeter Motorcycle Battery Monitor: Automotive), and is supposed to be waterproof.

I have an aversion to cutting holes in the bike's fairing, so I made a mount for the voltmeter that attaches to a bolt on the upper left of the console. The mount is a simple plastic box with an aluminum mounting bracket glued to the rear with JB Weld. The voltmeter slides inside the box, with the wires routed out the right side of the box. The wires are covered in shrink tubing and routed back through the bike frame to the PC8. The mount was bolted to the upper left of the console using one of the existing bolt holes in the fairing ( I did have to buy a slightly longer bolt than the stock one). The rear of the box is removable (you can see the screws in the photo) just in case I ever needed to get at the wiring on the rear of the voltmeter.

The aluminum mounting bracket was angled slightly upward so I can look down and see the numbers, but otherwise it will be out of my field of vision when I'm riding (I figured constantly changing bright red numbers would be distracting if I could see them all the time). If I end up not liking the voltmeter on the bike, I can just cut the wires and remove it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0820.JPG (76.3 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0821.JPG (78.9 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0825.JPG (78.9 KB, 51 views)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode