OEM Luggage Key Source - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 03-22-2014, 04:09 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

OEM Luggage Key Source

Has anyone with the 12+ 650 Adventure OEM luggage replaced a key? I broke one off earlier today. I just stopped by the local dealer and they said keys are unavailable and that I'd need to buy a new lockset.

I'd prefer to just to have a spare key made, so if anyone knows how to source a blank for the OEM luggage I'm all ears...

:bom_ears:

2012 Vstrom 650 Adventure
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 03-22-2014, 04:20 PM
$tromtrooper

I went to a locksmith and had two extras made. Take a pannier with you so he can test it.
post #3 of 14 Old 03-22-2014, 04:36 PM
Stromthusiast!

I ordered a set of keys and cylinders from Twisted Throttle. You can buy sets of 2,4,or 6.
Lock set for 1 TraX EVO ALU-BOX case. - TwistedThrottle.com

Certified JB Welder
2017 Africa Twin
2012 DL650 EXP (traded)
2012 WR250R

post #4 of 14 Old 03-22-2014, 06:19 PM
Stromthusiast!

If you bought yours new it should have come with a bunch of extra keys. Check your bag with the original paperwork. Mine came with a key for each lock and two extra locks in case I bought a top box, which I did.

. . . . . BIKES . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . DL650 FARKLES
2013 DL650 Adventure . . . . . . BB VPS, HT Center Stand,
2009 DR650, 2009 DRZ400 . . . .Kaoko, Oxford Grips.
2002 ZG1000, 1999 DR350 . . . .EB PC-8, ABS Switch &
-Some others long gone-. . . . . Headlight Relay Kit.
75&77 CB400F, 78 GS550 . . . . AdvTech Fork Brace,
---- First Bike ----. . . . . . . . . Peg Lowering Kit,
------ 1973 ------. . . . . . . . . Aux Shelf & Over Dash Shelf.
-- Suzuki T-500 --. . . . . . . . . E. G. Bash Plate & Hwy Pegs
post #5 of 14 Old 03-22-2014, 07:15 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post
If you bought yours new it should have come with a bunch of extra keys. Check your bag with the original paperwork. Mine came with a key for each lock and two extra locks in case I bought a top box, which I did.
Do the adventures always come with the extra locks? Bought a 2013 adventure new, and it only came with one set of extra keys (ignition and boxes). No extra locks/keys.
post #6 of 14 Old 03-22-2014, 08:07 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post
I bought my 2012 Adventure new in Jan 14. It came with a couple extra locks for the optional top box but only one set of keys. A bunch of extra keys would have been great. Did most come with a bunch of keys?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogen
I ordered a set of keys and cylinders from Twisted Throttle. You can buy sets of 2,4,or 6.
Lock set for 1 TraX EVO ALU-BOX case. - TwistedThrottle.
Thanks for the link!

Last edited by donmac; 03-22-2014 at 08:11 PM.
post #7 of 14 Old 03-28-2014, 03:48 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by donmac View Post
Has anyone with the 12+ 650 Adventure OEM luggage replaced a key? I broke one off earlier today. I just stopped by the local dealer and they said keys are unavailable and that I'd need to buy a new lockset.

I'd prefer to just to have a spare key made, so if anyone knows how to source a blank for the OEM luggage I'm all ears...

:bom_ears:
It's a Yale Y10 if memory serves - take the broken key to a locksmith and they will make you a proper brass key, that's what I did. They also lubed the locks with some high-speed low-drag silicon that makes them work much better. And charged me about $10 for it all.

I've never seen a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist's office. And that tells me pretty much everything I ever need to know about why I ride.

My Ride: 2012 DL650A Explorer Package, Fox Orange. Mods/Farkles: Scottoiler vSystem, Rox Risers, Adventuretech Mirror Extenders and Sidestand Foot, SW-Motech Over-The-Dash GPS mount.

Plans: Denali-type lighting, orange LED cowling/engine lighting, LED highlight upgrade, and everything I need to ride the Dempster Highway in 2017.

States/Provinces Ridden: NS, NB, QC, ON, ME, NH, MA, VT, NY, PA, DE, MD, DC, VA, WV, NC, TN, KY, GA, OH, IN, IL, IA, NE, CO, UT, AZ, NE, CA, NM, TX, OK, MO.

Just finished a 12,000 km run from Toronto to Monterey and back.
post #8 of 14 Old 03-28-2014, 04:30 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ploughjockey View Post
It's a Yale Y10 if memory serves - take the broken key to a locksmith and they will make you a proper brass key, that's what I did. They also lubed the locks with some high-speed low-drag silicon that makes them work much better. And charged me about $10 for it all.
It cost 12$ and you have two new cylinder locks and two new keys from twisted trottle. You can buy a kit and have them in spare too. The keys are more durable than OEM ones too.
post #9 of 14 Old 03-28-2014, 05:30 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickfreerider182 View Post
It cost 12$ and you have two new cylinder locks and two new keys from twisted trottle. You can buy a kit and have them in spare too. The keys are more durable than OEM ones too.
Right now I have the adventure 6 keyed-alike lock set (4 installed, 2 extra for the optional top box) and 1 key. I'd like to avoid having to deal with multiple keys and I don't feel like buying a new 6 lock set and replacing the originals. Much easier to have a key made.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PloughJockey
Thanks for the info!

post #10 of 14 Old 03-28-2014, 06:03 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
i too need a new key.. the plastic broke on mine (ended up drilling through the metal bit to keep it on my keychain) looked online at the yale y10 and it does not look like a match... the yale y13 does look like it might work though.

whoever they got these keys from sure did a crap job of it... the part of the key that extends into the plastic (would it be called a tang? like a knife?) only is a tiny piece instead of being the whole part including the loop.

Reverend Unstable Boy
http://www.youtube.com/user/RevUnstableBoy

https://www.facebook.com/RevUnstableBoy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode