StromTrooper banner

Re-paint.. Not sure if i made a mistake...

8K views 53 replies 28 participants last post by  Downs 
#1 ·
See less See more
#4 ·
Thanks. took about 15 minutes to pull all plastics. then painted/re installed in about an hour.

Krylon Fusion "satin khaki".

#6 ·
Wow... that looks GREAT! I wouldn't trust myself to do it in 1.25 hours...

I liked that color so much, that's the color I chose for my boat (SeaRay called it "Pewter"), when I still had that boat, anyway.

#12 ·
Hahaha. As for prepping, i'd usually sand etc, but Krylon can said just use Ammonia based cleaner, so i windexed and isopropal the heck out of it. we'll see how long it lasts.

Yup. It was black before..

Untitled by fragile_this_side_up_retro_club, on Flickr

and of course thinking about it now, black was only available on the 2012 ADV models.. So it'll be "rare" later in life.. Oh well!

#15 ·
All in the can. Krylon really is the best and the "fan spray" nozzle they use on most paints makes it almost like an airbrush. It really helps out. Plus, the semi-gloss is a lot easier to get a consistent coat rather than straight flat or gloss. It hides my imperfections well.

And yeah, i'd like to take 'em to a shop, but i paid $5 for paint..

#16 ·
And yeah, i'd like to take 'em to a shop, but i paid $5 for paint..
I've used many dozens of cases of Krylon over the years, it works fine in a pinch, but no comparison to a professional job.

#17 ·
Obviously, a pro job would look better but this looks damn nice. Although I guess a con of painting it yourself is you don't get to tell the internet how much better your $250 pro job is...:confused:

#20 ·
I've still got the nose mask to do, but i did this today on my 15 minute break and lunch break..

Untitled by fragile_this_side_up_retro_club, on Flickr
Looks like you took your color cue from the wall of your workplace! Maybe you should include the reddish-brown stripe.

Just kidding; it looks fine. Hey, for five bucks, you can change it anytime you want. And have a new bike each time.:thumbup:

#23 ·
what was wrong with it before you painted it?

I think it looks great, though I wouldn't do it to my bike for resale reasons.

#24 ·
The stuff under would be mud. Rained on the way in.

As for resale, the bike has 14k miles in less than a year. Im not planning on selling.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

#27 ·
Im not so sure I know what you're saying...... We just dont plan on having a fire anytime soon.

As for color options, its not just suzuki. Unlike car companies, motorcycles dont fly off the shelves. So they cant release them in whatever color you want. The Strom is just easily painted.

#26 ·
I guess Suzuki is so boring offering only two or three colors by year. Why don't provide more obtions?
I think the paint job looks good in these picyures, but I don't know if I can say the same when looking close and the details.

#31 · (Edited)
I came close to painting mine sunrise red plastic rattle can paint. I tried it on the sled and it ended up a semi gloss red instead of gloss.

I'm still contemplating it. Can says to prep with paint thinner.

I like the red color in the new Hyabusa (Pearl Mira Red). That's what I want. The new Vstrom is a wine color (Candy Daring Red) and I don't care for it as much as I thought I would.

#35 ·
I was thinking about this yesterday. I think im just going to mask it off today instead of disassembly.

Im keeping thr oe look and not going to paint the front fender.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.