Front fender and mud issue?!? - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 03-18-2014, 08:46 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Front fender and mud issue?!?

Well I went and played in the mud today with the vstrom... Something happened that was a huge nuisance ... It became locked.... Mud wedged between the fender and the tire... It was so packed that I had to remove the fender and clean it out during the ride twice... Super annoying ... My buddy had his f700gs and it had about another inch of space and he had no issues.... Is there a product out there that can help me? I just need another inch of clearance...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 03-18-2014, 08:52 PM
Stromthusiast!

You were lucky being able to remove the fender during the ride, with that square nut behind, that turn in the plastic.
I had to drill my bolts head.

Last edited by fortp; 03-18-2014 at 08:58 PM. Reason: Added picture
post #3 of 15 Old 03-18-2014, 09:01 PM
Stromthusiast!

I had the same problem last fall. there was four of us on the ride and all had the same problem.
There was one reply that said that he raised the front fender 2".
There is another problem with the rear tire putting mud and rocks in the chain.
On my bike it filled the front sprocket cover with mud and rocks. I ended up pulling it off and cleaning it out.

T-ville

post #4 of 15 Old 03-18-2014, 09:10 PM
Stromthusiast!

worse outcome

If the mud dries under the front fender, then you get a stick caught in there at speed, well you end up down the road when it all locks up. Nasty.

I would be likely to raise the mudguard 2 inches if someone did a kit for this purpose.
post #5 of 15 Old 03-18-2014, 09:36 PM
Stromthusiast!

Funny that this topic came up today. I just pulled the front fender off today to install a fenda extenda, and to raise the fender a bit when I reinstall it. I've got a superbrace on the fork, and it looks like the very most I'll be able to raise the fender is 1". More likely a bit less. I got some plates, and some nuts and bolts, and I'll see what I end up with. I'll do what I can to document it.
post #6 of 15 Old 03-18-2014, 10:14 PM
DRD
Stromthusiast!

Touratech sells an off road fender for just that problem..

Off-Road Front Fender, Suzuki V-Strom DL650, 2012-on - Touratech-USA

DRD

2013 Blue DL650
post #7 of 15 Old 03-18-2014, 11:03 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Not wanting to spend 200 plus shipping on a solution... When only an inch or so is needed...
post #8 of 15 Old 03-19-2014, 10:10 AM
Stromthusiast!

Can't you fab some steel extenders to tap & raise the fender up? Seems easy enough if you have a drill & a tap set and some 1/4" steel flat bar.

DL650 Adventure Trax Box Carrying Handles/Lashing straps. --> click link to view info & how to order: [url]https://www.stromtrooper.com/dl650-2012/80136-trax-box-carry-handles-lashing-straps.html[/url]
post #9 of 15 Old 03-19-2014, 12:13 PM
Stromthusiast!

$200 for a fender?? :shocked:

I just don't ride in heavy mud.

2012 Suzuki DL650AL2, over 45k miles already!
post #10 of 15 Old 03-19-2014, 05:43 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt_phun View Post
Can't you fab some steel extenders to tap & raise the fender up? Seems easy enough if you have a drill & a tap set and some 1/4" steel flat bar.
I made up a set of brackets to raise the fender an inch and did a trial fit on the fender. Found that in order to mount it I'd have to butcher the fender. There's no going back from that, and I'm not willing.

In order to have the new mounting points clear the plastic of the fender, I'd have to raise it by at least two inches. That presents a few other issues. I'd have to lose the fork brace, the crossover brake line won't accommodate that, and I gotta wonder if the fender may then contact the radiator or cowling with suspension fully compressed. If the last isn't an issue, and I don't know that, then two or more inches is certainly doable with no brace and no crossover.

Last edited by Bikehigh; 03-22-2014 at 10:11 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode