StromTrooper banner

Need opinions - plug in front tire

2K views 19 replies 13 participants last post by  LordSmoke 
#1 ·
I plugged my first tire today. It went well. Below is a picture of the plug in the front tire, which has 7,600 miles on it. Would you replace the tire or run it for a few more thousand? This is my fourth bike with tubeless tires but my first ever flat. I live a charmed life. :mrgreen:

See less See more
#5 ·
I've run thousands of miles on plugs in rear tires with no problems. Since it is a front tire I would say no. I haven't had a flat on the front yet so I don't know how it feels, but I have no problem handling one on the rear.

#8 ·
I don't see any cracking in that tire but I'm looking at the picture on a tablet so maybe not getting all the detail.

There's a fair bit of life in that tire yet so I'd be tempted to keep using it. But I'd probably patch it from the inside, which would also be an opportunity to inspect it more closely for damage.

I would also say go with your gut: if something just doesn't seem right about the tire get rid of it.

#11 ·
Plug it. Forget about it. The cracking, though, is another story. It is (past) time for new tires.

#13 ·
Being a front tire, combined with the amount of tread left, were it me I'd replace it. As for the cracking, I'm not seeing it. I see a dirty tire but I just don't see the cracking. Maybe I need a better monitor, or eyes.

#14 ·
I wore a plugged rear tire out without any problems.
The next one I plugged (rear) spit the plug coming out of a left hand sweeper at 110kph. Not fun.
Not sure if it was my installation or what but I will only use a plug to get me to a proper fix from now on.

That tire looks a little cracked to me.

#16 ·
Let me know how you like it. I noticed the motorcycle adapter is currently on sale making it a pretty cheap outfit, if it's any good.

#17 · (Edited)
I did my most recent tire change on the Wee with one of these (bolted to a 2x2 piece of plywood), some gratis tire lube from the tire center, and a no-scuff tire tool. Piece of cake. I think it will require some mods for the scooter, though. I don't think the front axle is large enough, but haven't removed the wheel to try it.

Backstory: I had been buying all of my supplies from a local dealer on the basis of their offer long ago to mount tires for a few bucks for minimal shop time if I brought in the tire and wheel. They got a new parts guy - the old one had always done good by me. Exhausted from a number of projects, I went to them. The new guy fumbled around and came up nearly $100 just to mount. Some more fumbling and came up with $80. Another small shop across town with whom I had never done business (I tend to be a loyal customer) offered $50. I just bought the changer below for $40 and popped them on without drama. Haven't been back to the original dealer since (truthfully, i haven't needed anything, either). I'd go to the other one, but it is too far away. I run ultraseal, which is a mess I'd not inflict on a tech, and I really clean the rims when changing (not something I would expect them to do).

#18 ·
I've changed at least a dozen tires on my Harbor Freight unit. I highly recommend using several good rim protectors and numerous decent tire tools. The online videos make it look easier than it really is but are worth watching.

This was the easiest change - sportbike tires are the hardest.

#20 ·
This was the easiest change - sportbike tires are the hardest.
Have you ever tried a 10" maxi-scooter tire? I did my scooter earlier in the year before I changed the tires on the Wee, hence before I got the tire changer. ----->:furious: Even with the changer, I would expect it to be harder than full-size mc tires.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.