Oil Change Required After Sitting? - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 03-15-2014, 07:22 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Oil Change Required After Sitting?

I searched several pages of oil change threads and did not see an answer to my question.

I live in the Midwest and, unless you are a die hard, there are 2-3+ months where riding is risky or not practical due to snow, ice, and cold wet weather. Especially this year. Consequently, my 2012 Strom sits in the garage during this time. Typically, I change the oil in the spring before I do any riding regardless of mileage. Is this necessary after the bike has sat idle for several months or should I just follow the mileage recommendations in the manual?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 03-15-2014, 07:25 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Change the oil before putting it away. That way its not dirty oil with acid buildup.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

2018 Vstrom 1000
2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Nomad
post #3 of 10 Old 03-15-2014, 07:56 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Your oil is fine.....trust me.

BRIAN "GO Buckeyes, GO Wildcats"!

2015 DL650 XT "Hector"

1997 Honda Valkyrie 1500 custom “Dolores”

post #4 of 10 Old 03-15-2014, 09:21 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenny80 View Post
Change the oil before putting it away. That way its not dirty oil with acid buildup.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
+1. My DR650 is my year round "sacrificial" bike, but my DL gets benched when the roads are salted. Since it only sits a few months it gets fresh oil + filter, then run for a minute to distribute the fresh oil. Monthly one minute run to slosh the oil around. If you do that, springtime will just mean check tire pressures and overall inspection and off you go with good oil. Been working for me for several decades.
post #5 of 10 Old 03-15-2014, 09:43 PM
Stromthusiast!

I would follow the recommended mileage. I changed mine at 1000 km's and it only had 3000 kms when I put mine away. I put it on the road again last weekend and wont change it until 5000 km's. I find a lot of people are paranoid about changing oil. Just follow the recommended mileage and the bike will be fine.

If you come to a fork in the road take it. Yogi Berra
post #6 of 10 Old 03-16-2014, 12:41 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 650wee View Post
I would follow the recommended mileage. I changed mine at 1000 km's and it only had 3000 kms when I put mine away. I put it on the road again last weekend and wont change it until 5000 km's. I find a lot of people are paranoid about changing oil. Just follow the recommended mileage and the bike will be fine.
Paranoid is an understatement.........:mrgreen:

BRIAN "GO Buckeyes, GO Wildcats"!

2015 DL650 XT "Hector"

1997 Honda Valkyrie 1500 custom “Dolores”

post #7 of 10 Old 03-21-2014, 11:46 AM
Stromthusiast!

Remember all oil comes with a pack of alkaline additives to counteract oil acidification so there should be no problem at all.
post #8 of 10 Old 03-21-2014, 12:28 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Monthly one minute run to slosh the oil around.
Not my preference. A very short run builds up moisture and combustion products in the oil that would vaporize off in a run long enough and hard enough to get the engine thoroughly warmed. I'd rather change the oil and let it sit than run it for very short periods.

Part of the additive package in motor oil are alkaline agents that counteract acids. These are shown in the TBN total base number on an oil lab test. However, there can be localized acid build up, especially in bearings. This doesn't usually happen, and just about any lay-up procedure works. My preference is clean oil before the lay up, then leave it alone until the bike can go for a long enough run to get it completely warmed (especially the oil) for at least 20 minutes or so.

"Older people who are reasonable, good-tempered, and gracious will bear aging well. Those who are mean-spirited and irritable will be unhappy at every period of their lives.

"Let each of use properly whatever strengths he has and strive to use them well. If he does this, he will never find himself lacking."

Marcus Tullius Cicero
44 B.C.
post #9 of 10 Old 03-21-2014, 01:20 PM
Stromthusiast!

Under any circumstances there are no reason to change the engine oil after sitting.

As posted above it makes sense to change the oil prior to putting the bike away - if you believe that acid buildup in used oil can cause problems.

If you just follow the mileage/time recommendations in the manual you can't go all wrong.

Yamaha XT1200Z '15 - www.bike-addict.dk - It's not what you ride but how you ride it unk:
post #10 of 10 Old 03-21-2014, 04:20 PM
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT

Garage
The ice is finally out of the driveway. I rode for the first time since late November. The final tank burned back then had marine Sta-Bil in it and the bike's tank was filled with fuel and stabilizer before putting her up. The oil was changed too. Then the bike wasn't touched again until today. The engine started up today within about a second of pushing the starter button.

Pat- 2007 DL650A was ridden to all 48 contiguous states. I didn't quite make it to 17,000 miles on the 2012 DL650A.
Nicknames I use to lessen typing, Vee = 2002-2012 DL1000s. Vee2=2014-2016 DL1000s. Wee = 2004-2011 DL650s. Glee = 2012-2016 DL650s
See https://www.stromtrooper.com/general-...nicknames.html

Please vote in the poll on what Strom(s) you have at https://www.stromtrooper.com/informat...-you-have.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode