Givi PL3101 sidebag rack problem - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 03-15-2014, 07:00 PM Thread Starter
$tromtrooper

Givi PL3101 sidebag rack problem

Think of this as a sanity check. I tried to install PL3101's on my 2013 650. The left rack is fine, but I have a problem with the right rack. I had a Givi rack on my '06, so I'm familiar with a less than perfect fit. This is not a mere tolerance issue nor can I see any shipping damage. The rack does not clear the shields on the exhaust system and I can see no way to mount it. I think that Givi mis-labeled the rack but the vendor is skeptical and reluctant to pay for return shipping.

If you look at the picture:
- The bottom of the rack is loosely attached with a dowel rod and a zip tie
- The top is tied with white string to bolts in the holes where the rack is supposed to attach
- Note that the rack contacts the exhaust system and that the bag mounting plane is nowhere near vertical.

Am I missing something obvious? Thanks for any help you can offer.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RearViewSm.jpg (21.5 KB, 70 views)

'13 DL 650
'05 FJR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 03-15-2014, 07:41 PM
Stromthusiast!

It's hard to tell from your picture, but some people cut the black plastic heat shield off where the rack touches.
There is a small rubber dot (for lack of a better word) on the inside of the rack that touches the black heat shield to also prevent the rack from lining up. I chose to cut off that rubber dot and everything lined up.
Remember, don't tighten up the bolts until everything is in place.
post #3 of 5 Old 03-16-2014, 09:42 AM
Stromthusiast!

I can't see on my phone very well, but is the cross brace mounted? Also, as noted, the exhaust heat shield rubs the mount.

I have some up close installation pictures here, there is other stuff in the folder too but just go through to the pics of the rack.

Vehicles & Installs - MeefZah

Edit, okay, I just tried to look at your picture on a computer. It's awful. Too small.

I'd also double check that you have the lower mounting points on the back side of the footpegs, not the front side; and leave them totally undone until you actually get the top mounts (through the luggage rack) started. This install was more difficult to line up than on my 2007.

Last edited by MeefZah; 03-16-2014 at 10:17 AM.

post #4 of 5 Old 03-16-2014, 02:23 PM Thread Starter
$tromtrooper

That was the first time I posted an image. I may have misunderstood the allowable size limits.

You responses suggest modifying either the rack or the heat shield to make it fit. One of the reasons I went with this rack is that unlike some others, no mention was made about cutting or moving anything so I thought it would be a straight bolt-on.

Disappointed, but your comments were much appreciated.

'13 DL 650
'05 FJR
post #5 of 5 Old 03-16-2014, 09:07 PM
Stromthusiast!

It is a straight bolt on albeit difficult to line up. The heat shield flexes out of the way. I can't recall if there is a rubber bumper that needs to come off the rack near the heat shield, as the other poster mentioned... although looking at my pictures I see a hole in the rack near the shield which appears to have held a bumper, now gone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode