fuse in battery tender lead - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 Old 03-13-2014, 02:29 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

fuse in battery tender lead

Any problem replacing the 7.5 amp fuse with a 15 amp one? Wired to my battery and goes to a 12 volt outlet want to run a cycle pump. Also charge cell phone. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 03-13-2014, 02:41 PM
Stromthusiast!

They probably didn't put a 7.5 amp fuse in just because they had some spare.

You'll probably get away with it, but it will be "interesting" if the cables power limit is reached before the fuse blows, as what can you do then, apart from getting the seat off quickly and disconnecting the battery. A pair of snips to cut the wire might be helpful.

May you live in interesting times, is I believe, a Chinese curse.
post #3 of 22 Old 03-13-2014, 03:26 PM
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT

Garage
As long as the wire is 16ga or thicker, it won't be a problem. With a short run, 18ga is probably even okay.

Pat- 2007 DL650A was ridden to all 48 contiguous states. I didn't quite make it to 17,000 miles on the 2012 DL650A.
Nicknames I use to lessen typing, Vee = 2002-2012 DL1000s. Vee2=2014-2016 DL1000s. Wee = 2004-2011 DL650s. Glee = 2012-2016 DL650s
See https://www.stromtrooper.com/general-...nicknames.html

Please vote in the poll on what Strom(s) you have at https://www.stromtrooper.com/informat...-you-have.html

post #4 of 22 Old 03-13-2014, 04:59 PM

fuse in battery tender lead

I would not just cut the wires, you will ruin those snips, 12 volts prob won't arc flash enough to blind/burn you. It could be just enough volt-amps to weld/melt the snips to the wire, shorting the battery or worse kill some delicate electronic (computer). And yes I've ruined wire cutters in the past .

But like GW said, you should be ok. BTW what is a cycle pump? Is it a bicycle tire pump? The phone will only draw ~5 watts. I know just enough about electricity to respect it's power.

Last edited by danhikeski; 03-13-2014 at 05:08 PM.
post #5 of 22 Old 03-13-2014, 05:20 PM
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT

Garage
A basic is never to cut wire pairs that are attached to a battery. Cutting them one at a time or disconnecting them before cutting is easy enough.

Pat- 2007 DL650A was ridden to all 48 contiguous states. I didn't quite make it to 17,000 miles on the 2012 DL650A.
Nicknames I use to lessen typing, Vee = 2002-2012 DL1000s. Vee2=2014-2016 DL1000s. Wee = 2004-2011 DL650s. Glee = 2012-2016 DL650s
See https://www.stromtrooper.com/general-...nicknames.html

Please vote in the poll on what Strom(s) you have at https://www.stromtrooper.com/informat...-you-have.html
post #6 of 22 Old 03-14-2014, 05:34 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by danhikeski View Post
I would not just cut the wires, you will ruin those snips, 12 volts prob won't arc flash enough to blind/burn you. It could be just enough volt-amps to weld/melt the snips to the wire, shorting the battery or worse kill some delicate electronic (computer). And yes I've ruined wire cutters in the past .
No need to cut wires, cutting only one will break the circuit, just as a fuse does.
post #7 of 22 Old 03-14-2014, 08:05 AM
Stromthusiast!

There seems to be a lot of misunderstanding about basic electrical stuff on this board, based on this and other threads.

I have replaced the fuse in all my battery tender leads with a 15a to power a heated vest or air compressor. The wiring is adequate, I assure you.
post #8 of 22 Old 03-15-2014, 02:02 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeefZah View Post
There seems to be a lot of misunderstanding about basic electrical stuff on this board, based on this and other threads.

I have replaced the fuse in all my battery tender leads with a 15a to power a heated vest or air compressor. The wiring is adequate, I assure you.
Ahh but see your post doesn't do anything to help clear up some of those misunderstandings. It would be more helpful to say why a 15a fuse is ok.

And to make sure people understand that over amping a fuse is ok in some circumstances but not in every circumstance...
post #9 of 22 Old 03-15-2014, 06:33 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squish View Post
Ahh but see your post doesn't do anything to help clear up some of those misunderstandings. It would be more helpful to say why a 15a fuse is ok.

And to make sure people understand that over amping a fuse is ok in some circumstances but not in every circumstance...
I was typing on my phone, which is always aggravating, so it was best for me to be brief.

A fuse serves two purposes, the first being protection of the wiring and the equipment from a short to ground, the second being protection of the wiring from "excess amperage" / overload / whatever you want to call it, drawn by equipment; which is what the OP and the first couple posters are concerned with.

In this situation, you are dealing with stout wiring (battery tenders are 16ga, I believe), a very short run of wiring (12" or so), and a specific, known draw on the battery - that being a 12VDC air compressor that probably draws 8 amps or less while running and maybe 10-11 amps on startup (guesses). There is no risk to the wiring melting under these conditions.

If you have concerns about an item "drawing too much power" for the wiring, then I would universally suggest not using it. However, most 12VDC accessories, especially that you might fit to a bike, aren't in any way at risk for that sort of thing. You wouldn't be running an AC invertor with a TV and refrigerator.

I always kind of laugh about fear of 12VDC electricity, it's a docile animal. If you ever wonder "is this wiring adequate", take a look at the factory wiring on your car or bike going to your headlights, which are high amp draws. That wiring will invariably be smaller gauge that that of a battery tender or any other accessory, and it holds up for years, under adverse conditions, and everyday use. Or look at the wiring on the air compressor itself, on mine it is 18 ga wiring, so clearly the unit was designed for even smaller gauge wiring than that and the 18 ga is a "overbuilt" as a failsafe... so the larger 16 ga battery tender lead is actually substantially more than needed.

As per my original post, I have replaced every battery tender lead I have with a 15A fuse, and have run air compressors for years off them and never had an issue. In fact, I only this year got an honest to god pancake style compressor, in years past I used my little bike powered 12VDC model to inflate car tires and the like. None of the wiring is melted, no excess heat noted during use, no blown fuses, etc. The tender wiring continues to also work fine to power my heated vest, and occasional cell phone charge while on a trip, and the actual battery charger. Even if you don't believe my anecdotal evidence, above; believe my actual experiences.

Last edited by MeefZah; 03-15-2014 at 10:30 PM.
post #10 of 22 Old 03-15-2014, 09:50 PM
Stromthusiast!

I have a 5A in mine and I run a heated vest , battery tender, mini compressor for flat tires. It had a 3A stock but it blew when I plugged in the pump, so swapped it out for a 5A.

If you come to a fork in the road take it. Yogi Berra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode