Xena Lock Size For Rear Disc? - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 03-11-2014, 11:46 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Xena Lock Size For Rear Disc?

Hi, I am getting my vstrom very soon (couple of weeks, finally!) and am very concerned about security considering my area (near NYC) and high amount of bike theft.

I want to get a xena disc lock but I am wondering which size will fit in the REAR disc. My research says it's far too easy for a thief to remove it if its on the front disc, so I would like to put it on the rear disc.

It seems the options are 6mm, 10mm and 15mm pins. I read somewhere that due to the ABS you need a specific one but I cant find where I read that. I also searched the forums and couldnt really find any info regarding the 2012+ DL650 and this lock.

This is the lock I am looking at: Amazon.com: XENA (XX10-Y) Disc-Lock Alarm for Motorcycle , Yellow, Steel: Automotive

Thank you.

Also, I am installing a scorpio i900 alarm system and if anyone has any tips regarding installing one of these in a vstrom, that would be great. I bought the factory harness which hopefully will work well, otherwise I may be able to use the extra wires from my eastern beaver tail light harness that I bought for a backup xp.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 03-13-2014, 06:09 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

anyone? I would like to already have one of these when I pick up my bike to ensure it's locked when I park it for the first night. Thanks!
post #3 of 8 Old 03-15-2014, 03:47 PM
Stromthusiast!

I got the 10mm and plan on using it on the front disc. Haven't tried it on yet, though! lol I don't get on the roads up here in west Massachusetts till the salt has been washed off by a couple of nice cleansing spring rains. :-)
gary

gary

'14 VStrom 1000
Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. - quote attributed to Helen Keller.

post #4 of 8 Old 03-15-2014, 04:12 PM
Stromthusiast!

I have a 6mm, yellow one...xx6...It easily fits on the front disc of the 2012 and it will fit on the rear but you need to line up one of the holes in the drilled rotor in the rear because of the width of the rear disc. It would not be nearly as easy to put on the rear. Really just a deterrent, the yellow colour also acts as a deterrent and the alarm is loud although it will shut off and reset after 15 seconds, The lock is much more visible on the front wheel.
ABS should not affect your choice of lock.

10 mm won't fit through drilled rotor holes but 6 mm will. The 10 mm unit according to the manual has a 46 mm reach vs 37mm reach for the xx6. The 10 mm will definitely fit the front disc and may just fit the rear disc....my quickie measurement showed 36 mm depth for rear disc...that gives you a mm. Front disc is 36 mm and my xx6 with a 37mm reach fits nicely.
You can verify at this link that this model does fit your bike (although they are really only looking at front disc fit). Click Suzuki icon and then choose bike. (may not work on smart phones)
http://xenasecurity.mgxhk.com/fitmentchart/fitment.html

2012 DL650/EXP (fox orange)

Last edited by nuke; 03-15-2014 at 04:59 PM.
post #5 of 8 Old 03-15-2014, 11:01 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Thanks guys. My concern with putting it on the front is I have read it's far less capable when put on the front wheel.

I got this information from an AMA on reddit from a bike thief and chop shop owner. he said that putting it on the front rotor is far less of a deterent and he would only put it on the rear.

This is the AMA which I found to have a wealth of good information regarding bike security: EX Thief & "chop-shop" operator AMA : motorcycles

I believe he said that it's far too easy for a thief to remove the front caliper/wheel or something to this effect, he said he puts it on the rear on his bike and recommends others do the same.

One thing he said: "When the disc lock is on the front wheel they "drop" the rotor to bypass the lock."

Last edited by bandroidx; 03-15-2014 at 11:04 PM.
post #6 of 8 Old 03-16-2014, 09:04 AM
Stromthusiast!

I guess if they really want the bike, they will get it. 4 big guys and a pickup truck and it is gone in 10 seconds. In your area, theft insurance may be a good idea. I also like the idea of parking next to a Harley

2012 DL650/EXP (fox orange)
post #7 of 8 Old 03-16-2014, 09:42 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuke View Post
I guess if they really want the bike, they will get it. 4 big guys and a pickup truck and it is gone in 10 seconds. In your area, theft insurance may be a good idea. I also like the idea of parking next to a Harley
Have to agree with this: a determined thief will get your bike anyway. The disc lock is a deterrent and as such it is probably just as effective on the front as on the back (maybe even more so, because more visible?). Isn't it mostly sport bikes and harley's they're after?
post #8 of 8 Old 03-22-2014, 11:19 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dovetailredux View Post
Have to agree with this: a determined thief will get your bike anyway. The disc lock is a deterrent and as such it is probably just as effective on the front as on the back (maybe even more so, because more visible?). Isn't it mostly sport bikes and harley's they're after?
I think sport bikes even more than harleys. My guess is they would have no issue with stealing a new v-strom though, any new bike that is brand new and very popular is probably a target. Parking next to a R1 or R6 is probably a good bet lol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode