Having a hard time picking foul weather and DRL's for the Glee. - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 03-11-2014, 11:15 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Having a hard time picking foul weather and DRL's for the Glee.

It never fails I end up driving for days in bad weather when I hit the road for extended trips. I am trying to pick a good set of all around driving/foul weather lights for the new Glee, this will be my last farkle.

LED lights tend to be up around 5 or 6000k, not the best in bad conditions. Halogen are more yellow and perform better in bad weather but as DRL's you need at least a 55w bulb which will max out the Glee stator.

I am looking at the visionx round 10w led, the Rigid Ind Dually 15w and D2 28w leds as well as the Piaa 1100led. For halogen I am looking at the Piaa 1100 platinum 55w and the hawk SW Motech 55w both will be better in bad weather but again, high watt usage.

What are some of y’all running for all around DRL's and foul weather lights? What works? There is a lot of garbage out there for sale that works for a year then dies. No garbage, I need something that works and is reliable, that’s why I tend to shy away from LED's, Chinese ones have an extremely high failure rate.

Any input appreciated.

"Dave"

If You're Gonna Be Stupid, You Better Be Hard, because stupid hurts!
I no longer own a V Strom, but I'm still here because its the best bike forum going!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 03-11-2014, 12:17 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
I would say that anything is better than nothing. The 10 or 15 watt LED bulbs are by far the most popular and they are much brighter than you realize, that is what I will be going with very soon. I believe the fork mount is the best location for both visibility and extra light through the corners at night, but of course you are more susceptible to damage from a tip over or maybe a stone hitting the lens. Cannot recall too many if any people reporting lights broken from stones, but I am pretty sure I will be mounting to forks when I finally get around to doing this. Good luck on your quest!!!!

BRIAN "GO Buckeyes, GO Wildcats"!

2015 DL650 XT "Hector"

1997 Honda Valkyrie 1500 custom “Dolores”

post #3 of 10 Old 03-11-2014, 02:08 PM
Stromthusiast!

I'm doing exactly the same farkle and had exactly the same doubts you have. At the end, found a load of cheap lights you can mount either on engine guards or on the sides of the fork. My concern was 55W H3 bulb in each of them, as my Glee has only 120-130W of extra power (note from Greywolf). So a pair of new lights would draw 110W and that is something I didn't want to do. I also gave up on LED lights. Yes the can shine pretty bright but two problems I found are that, first, the color of arround 6000K compared with 2700K Glee's headlights is something I don't like and changing bulbs in headlights to extreme blue (6300K) is out of question. Second, I had a pair of "DRL's", or LED lights on my previous ride and while they were suffering from the color difference I mentioned above (I hated it), they were useless during a night because they'd leave incoming drivers blind.
As per suggestions from fellow riders, the best option to my liking would be to get 55W H3 lights and then change the bulbs to H3/35W or H3/20W. They do exist (the thing I didn't know). So that's the route I'm going to take.

2017 DL1000 White
2014 DL1000 Red (sold)
2012 DL650 White (sold)

post #4 of 10 Old 03-12-2014, 12:02 AM
Stromthusiast!

Lights are a complete design of bulb, reflector, and lens. If you change part, the whole thing works poorly. Buy LED complete light assemblies. LEDS bulbs in an assembly designed for halogen bulbs will glow or glare, but they won't put out light as designed.

"Older people who are reasonable, good-tempered, and gracious will bear aging well. Those who are mean-spirited and irritable will be unhappy at every period of their lives.

"Let each of use properly whatever strengths he has and strive to use them well. If he does this, he will never find himself lacking."

Marcus Tullius Cicero
44 B.C.
post #5 of 10 Old 03-12-2014, 12:58 AM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

There are a lot of Cree leds in many styles from hand held torch to house globe replacements to auto spots. These Cree units offer outstanding performance with low draw on the DL's electrical system. Ebay have 12V Cree T6 3000 lumins I think 30 watts per side for about $80ea. With two of these you can almost see the future, they are the best I have seen. Remember tho, if you blind an oncoming vehicle, the driver has a real chance of being "object fixated" and you may end up with a head-on. Many unexplained night time accidents on straight pieces of road, are believed to be "object fixation" related.
With such a huge range from which to choose you should find something suitable. If this range doesn't suit, the conditions you mentioned are too bad to be out in.
Cree, you'll be impressed.

Good health safe travels
Saturn 5

Last edited by saturn 5; 03-12-2014 at 01:07 AM.
post #6 of 10 Old 03-12-2014, 05:44 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

I think I am going to go with the SW Motech fairing side mounts and the Ridgid industried D2 Duallys with removable amber covers. I can get the D2 dually 3000 lumen 28w X2 kit for 280.00. The covers will work well in bad weather and when I am out in the middle of no where at night removing them will allow me to see a mile down the road.

"Dave"

I no longer own a V Strom, but I'm still here because its the best bike forum going!
post #7 of 10 Old 03-12-2014, 11:33 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinNC View Post
I think I am going to go with the SW Motech fairing side mounts and the Ridgid industried D2 Duallys with removable amber covers. I can get the D2 dually 3000 lumen 28w X2 kit for 280.00. The covers will work well in bad weather and when I am out in the middle of no where at night removing them will allow me to see a mile down the road.
$280.......YIKES!!!!!

BRIAN "GO Buckeyes, GO Wildcats"!

2015 DL650 XT "Hector"

1997 Honda Valkyrie 1500 custom “Dolores”

post #8 of 10 Old 03-12-2014, 11:43 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big B View Post
$280.......YIKES!!!!!
Yea, I know, but I only have to do it once.

"Dave"

post #9 of 10 Old 03-12-2014, 04:08 PM
Stromthusiast!

Stop thinking-you'll hurt yourself..40 bucks Ebay or Amazon- EVERYONE sees em - best 40 you ever spent- stops pigs and deer in their tracks..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bothclose.jpg (94.0 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN6187.jpg (67.7 KB, 21 views)

2012 Wee 650 pearl white
GJ R-vus
post #10 of 10 Old 03-12-2014, 04:12 PM
Stromthusiast!

Yes, for fog and such you want dichroic ion ... not these but they are normally only in a halogen- have not seen applications in low draw LED set ups- there are lens filters however... these are a great dRL period.

2012 Wee 650 pearl white
GJ R-vus
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode