First Drop Pissed me off - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 37 Old 12-05-2013, 12:51 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

First Drop Pissed me off

Well the bike went over today , I've tried to be careful because its a bit tall for me but alas , over it went , indicator slighltly damaged , but fixed , yellow part came off just needed a washer put on to hold it back , hand gaurds scuffed , mirror slightly scuffed and engine guard chipped and scraped , , all in all the bits i paid extra for to protect the bike all worked and proved to be worth the money , Only other thing damaged was the clutch lever the end broke of , but its still got enough lever to use , so i'me not off the road for any time .

Well after all its a adventure bike so why would i be pissed off its all to be expected ,

Easy i was'nt riding stopped at the garage put air in the front tyre , moved the bike up a fraction to get to the back tyre , and obviously never paid attention to where the stand was just putting air in the tyre and crash over it went .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 Old 12-05-2013, 01:32 PM
Stromthusiast!

Dropped mine 3 days after i got it. Dont worry about it

Current
2012 Suzuki DL650 - VSTROM
1981 Suzuki GSX400 - Work in progress

Gone but not forgotten
2001 Suzuki GSXF600 - KATANA
1984 Honda VT250FE (Grey bike)
post #3 of 37 Old 12-05-2013, 01:34 PM
Stromthusiast!

I have gotten to the point that I accept that motorcycles fall over. I think the next new bike I buy I'm just going to get the keys from the stealership and go kick it over in the parking lot, then ride it.

'09 Wee, Orange. Uh, Er...White, No, Wait, ORANGE!

" I like my Motorcycle's Loud and my Firearms Quiet." -Me

post #4 of 37 Old 12-05-2013, 03:19 PM
Stromthusiast!

Adding character one scratch/dent at a time.:mrgreen:
post #5 of 37 Old 12-05-2013, 03:27 PM
Stromthusiast!

If you don't go down once in a while on an Adventure bike your not doing it right.

I went down in the sand a few weeks ago but accepted the possibility. I was a little peeved at myself but enjoyed pushing the bikes limit, or maybe more appropriately personal limits. Still learning how to ride this bike in the sand, not easy and very different than a light dirt bike. So don worah about eh... suppoz dah happin..

Keep Calm, Fly-fish
------------------------------------------------------------
L2 Glee White- birthday 17 JAN 13
Farkles last to first: MFW Hwy pegs, Russell Daylong, Givi 3D604 tank bag, Motech Pegs, Madstad bracket&adv windshield, Tuono mirrors, Uclear HBC200 headset, E45 topcase, Cree driving lights w/Motech brackets,14T Sprocket, bar riser, E21 panniers, Stich heated grips/outlet, EB PC8, RR Fork Brace, Kouba link, Barkbusters, SW-Motech Centerstand/Skidplate/Crash Bars.
post #6 of 37 Old 12-05-2013, 07:28 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
First time is the worst...

I was pretty bummed the first time mine went over, less so the second time. Now, with good crash bars and beefy handguards on it, I can just pick it up, swear at it for a few seconds, and be on my way.
post #7 of 37 Old 12-05-2013, 07:47 PM
Stromthusiast!

I'd had my KLR about a week when I rode it over to a friend's house to show him. I didn't allow for the street being sloped against the stand, and I knocked it over in front of him and his wife. I not only dropped the bike, but also an f-bomb, which I'd rather not do in mixed company.

I dropped my Glee in my driveway right after I bought it, due to not accounting for the width of the side bags, clipping my garbage can, and looking down. I did learn that I could pick up the bike single-handedly. No harm but a little scratch on the crash bar.

While I'd rather not drop it again, I've got no real complaints if I can walk away from it.
post #8 of 37 Old 12-05-2013, 08:29 PM
Stromthusiast!

Compared to some of the sport bikes I have owned, even a slow or stationary tip over can be catastrophic. I have broken off mirrors, engine covers and brake levers this way. Even had a bike disintegrate at near 80mph, total loss. I went down in sand around 15-20mph on the Glee with BB, engine guards w/hiway pegs, but I really think the rear panniers are what saved everything, especially me. Created a nice pocket between the bike and the ground for me. A couple of small scrapes on my E21s. BB looked untouched. Picked up with back towards bike easily and went on my way. The more I push this bike the more I am enjoying it. Be thankful you can lay her down with out catastrophe.

Keep Calm, Fly-fish
------------------------------------------------------------
L2 Glee White- birthday 17 JAN 13
Farkles last to first: MFW Hwy pegs, Russell Daylong, Givi 3D604 tank bag, Motech Pegs, Madstad bracket&adv windshield, Tuono mirrors, Uclear HBC200 headset, E45 topcase, Cree driving lights w/Motech brackets,14T Sprocket, bar riser, E21 panniers, Stich heated grips/outlet, EB PC8, RR Fork Brace, Kouba link, Barkbusters, SW-Motech Centerstand/Skidplate/Crash Bars.
post #9 of 37 Old 12-05-2013, 09:39 PM
Stromthusiast!

dropped bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by coneye View Post
... clutch lever the end broke of , but its still got enough lever to use...
A couple years ago I loaned my KLR to a friend, and when he dropped it the brake lever got bent. He got me a new lever to replace it but I just carry it as a spare, it doesn't seem to bother me enough to swap it. Glad you had the important protection in place!

[COLOR="Orange"]'12 vStrom650[/COLOR]
[COLOR="Red"]'04 KLR650[/COLOR]
post #10 of 37 Old 12-05-2013, 10:38 PM
Stromthusiast!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode