Rear shock failure at 9727mls, non off road commuting duties only - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 12-05-2013, 08:37 AM Thread Starter
BSK
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Thumbs down Rear shock failure at 9727mls, non off road commuting duties only

so my saga with the vstrom continues. Kept smelling burning oil after coming off the interstate since getting it back from the dealer.

Rode back yesterday and we check out the bike and come to find out that the rear shock is leaking its guts out and onto the header which then gets burned off.

Bike has 9727 on the clock, never been off roading and is a commuter bike only. Anyone else got some similiar stories besides MrPete?
https://www.stromtrooper.com/dl650-20...ml#post1793097

At the rate that this bike has failures it might be time to sell soon.

--

Stephan
DL650AL02 -> Barkbuster handguards, 12V outlet, Lee Whitehurst luggage racks, JCWhitney Topcase, 3M reflective tape, P3 lights, 52w LED fogs, forkbrace, Puig 5895h windshield... more to come!
Failures:
Chain and sprockets worn at 9100 miles, recommended to be replaced despite every 500 mile adjustment and lube =(
Entire wiring harness replaced at 9233miles by SEP after headlight failure
Rear shock busted at 9727miles
Bad burned oil smell since 9500miles found to be disconnected drain tube from airfilter housing
2nd chain done at 21.6k
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 12-05-2013, 08:59 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSK View Post
So my saga with the vstrom continues...Bike has 9727 on the clock, never been off roading and is a commuter bike only... Anyone else got some similiar stories besides MrPete?

At the rate that this bike has failures it might be time to sell soon.
Your list of woes (stated in the signature section of your post and repeated in italics below) sounds like a bunch of oddball, unrelated, one-off problems to me. Based on my experience and that of plenty of others these are normally rather trouble-free bikes.

1) Chain and sprockets worn at 9100 miles, recommended to be replaced despite every 500 mile adjustment and lube =(
2) Entire wiring harness replaced at 9233miles by SEP after headlight failure
3) Rear shock busted at 9727miles.......

I'm curious - what chain lube did you use when the chain and sprockets wore out by 9100 miles ? If it wasn't a lubricating oil I can understand the failure at 9100 miles (mine's at 20,000 + on original sprockets and chain and both seem to be in great shape - I lube at each fuel fill-up (about every 250 miles) with gear oil or used engine oil).

The entire wiring harness replacement is just weird. In 2-3 years of faithful, virtually daily reading here I've never heard of such a thing - or anything close to it.

As for the shock, I weigh nearly 300 pounds and my wife weighs just over 100 pounds. We've ridden 2-up a fair amount, and (slowly) over some rough, rocky "roads", and the shock's fine at 20K + miles, and I'm sure there are plenty of other examples of many, many more trouble-free shock miles.

I can understand your disappointment, and I'm sorry you're having to put up with these issues, but Wees are just too much fun and generally much too reliable to consider a different bike. Just my humble opinion of course...

2007 Wee. Blue. Bought at 5K miles. Sold at 32K+ miles. Gone but not forgotten.

2012 Wee2 Adventure. Black. Bought at 26K miles. Now 46K+. Love it!
post #3 of 6 Old 12-05-2013, 09:10 AM
Stromthusiast!

i experienced chain failure as well at 10k miles. lubing every 500 miles with Motul. it happens. there are sometimes bad parts. i've got 12500 on my 2012 and am really light, no issues with shock yet..

2012 DL650A; daily commuter http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/sets/72157633330697107/
Sold: 2003 SV650: weekend canyon carver http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/sets/72157630515234266/

post #4 of 6 Old 12-05-2013, 10:09 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokiesRWee View Post
The entire wiring harness replacement is just weird. In 2-3 years of faithful, virtually daily reading here I've never heard of such a thing - or anything close to it.
My 2007 actually needed to have the wiring harness replaced at around 34,000 miles; and the "fairing harness" (front wiring to headlights, gauges, etc.) at 50,000. That is the only thing that has ever gone wrong on that bike. Details:

https://www.stromtrooper.com/dl650-20...007-650-a.html

I still consider reports of failures of any components to be anomalies and not indicative of the overall reliability of the Strom. As far as shocks go, hell, as far as anything goes; sometimes you just get a bad one. Shit happens. Sucks when it happens to you, but it is going to happen to someone. Statistical probability and all...

Last edited by MeefZah; 12-05-2013 at 10:45 AM.
post #5 of 6 Old 12-05-2013, 10:27 AM
Stromthusiast!

BSK, is the oil leak the damper or the hydraulic preload adjuster? The adjuster is an easy fix. Agreed, it should not have happened.

The chain is also odd. Somebody did something wrong. It could have been way out of alignment or overtightened or something else. The chain does not need adjustment every 500 miles--at least mine doesn't. It gets a shot of lube every 500.

"Older people who are reasonable, good-tempered, and gracious will bear aging well. Those who are mean-spirited and irritable will be unhappy at every period of their lives.

"Let each of use properly whatever strengths he has and strive to use them well. If he does this, he will never find himself lacking."

Marcus Tullius Cicero
44 B.C.
post #6 of 6 Old 12-05-2013, 11:06 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeefZah View Post
...I still consider reports of failures of any components to be anomalies and not indicative of the overall reliability of the Strom. As far as shocks go, hell, as far as anything goes; sometimes you just get a bad one. Shit happens. Sucks when it happens to you, but it is going to happen to someone. Statistical probability and all...
Very true and appropriate statements, I think.

2007 Wee. Blue. Bought at 5K miles. Sold at 32K+ miles. Gone but not forgotten.

2012 Wee2 Adventure. Black. Bought at 26K miles. Now 46K+. Love it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode