shinko tires??? - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 Old 11-30-2013, 05:07 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

shinko tires???

I am interested in comments, on these tires, by people who have "ridden them down the road."

Mr. Pete----->
aging hippie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 11-30-2013, 05:48 AM
Stromthusiast!

I rode two sets on them on my bandits. they were the Raven 009 sport tourers. good tires.

2012 DL650
U.S. NAVY, RETIRED
post #3 of 30 Old 11-30-2013, 09:13 AM
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor

I have run 4 sets of the Shinko 705. The last two sets were the radials that replaced the bias design. Never had any issues with the tread delaminating ( some people have ) or any other design problem. I found them to be very good in the rain, very good feel on dirt and gravel. They do have a slight amount of squirm at first on the pavement ( probably due to the very deep tread ) and have a bit of noise. They hold very well on the pavement, to the point of peg dragging and have a very good feel while riding aggressively. The front tire will cup some even when run at 36-38 psi but not much worse than some other dual sport tires. The front will last two rears at least. Rears on the 1000 might only get 4000 miles, the 650 would get 5500 or so. The first sets I paid just over $100 for the pair! If I rode more gravel/dirt these would be on the V Strom now.

I ran a set of the Raven 009 Shinkos on the Beemer. They lasted good and performed well enough but I never liked how they "turned in" and looked so I went with something else after the first set. They were not that much cheaper than other street tires for it.

'12 DL 650 '14 BMW R 1200 RT

WERKS modified clutch baskets for DL and SV 1000's.
The BEST in chudder control, noise control, and lasting durability! AVAILABLE HERE: www.werksparts.com

Have questions about the clutch in your DL or SV 1000? E-mail Terry [email protected]

post #4 of 30 Old 11-30-2013, 09:37 AM
Stromthusiast!

i run shinko tires on my dr650, and do lots of rough off rosd stuff. they last a long time and handle well, at least in my experience.
post #5 of 30 Old 11-30-2013, 11:37 AM
Stromthusiast!

Send a message via Yahoo to Sharkey
I've got 9500 miles on my 705's. Might get another 1 or 1.2K more on the rear. The front is only 1/2 worn but has some cupping and has become somewhat noisey. Will change both soon.
post #6 of 30 Old 11-30-2013, 12:20 PM
Stromthusiast!

There is a monster thread in here on the Shinko and an even bigger thread on ADV on the 705 specifically.

I personally love the Shinko 705. I've used them exclusively since probably 2007 or 2008 and have about 100,000+/- miles on them since that time on several different bikes - Stroms, KLR, Tenere, WRR.

I am a somewhat aggressive rider and typically get about 6,000 miles out of a rear and about twice that on a front on the Strom.

They stick well in all weather conditions on pavement, and are pretty predictable on gravel and hard pack dirt. Mud and any sort of soft or slippery terrain they are pretty dismal on, but that's to be expected.

I have never had any major issues with them. The first set I had was the bias ply and the tread was appearing to separate as the tires were nearing the end of their life anyway; I never considered it a problem since they were on deck to be replaced due to tread wear anyway. The subsequent radial sets have all lasted fine. The 705s do have a very weird "turn in" that takes a little getting used to.

Overall, I think they are a good tire for the money and I will keep running them.

Last edited by MeefZah; 11-30-2013 at 12:23 PM.
post #7 of 30 Old 12-01-2013, 01:28 AM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
I had 705's front and rear when I bought my 650 2 1/2 years ago. I used up the rear and replaced with with a radial. The front was a radial and started delaminating last summer. I did run it under pressure, so was probably my fault. Shinko warranted it even though I didn't buy it, and they replaced it with an upgraded radial. So I think they are really trying to take care of things.

When my rear wore out in August, I replaced it with a Fullbore. Same basic tire, but the grooves are a little bigger and a higher speed rating. It's getting some good reviews out west, but I only have 1500 miles on mine. So it's another option.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

2006 WeeStrom
2007 KTM 450 EXC
post #8 of 30 Old 12-01-2013, 07:43 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Thanks!!

Thanks for taking the time to answer my question.

Mr. Pete----->
aging hippie
post #9 of 30 Old 03-22-2014, 08:00 PM
Stromthusiast!

Yesterday, I installed 705s front and rear. I just came home from a ride in the state forest. It was about 30 miles of road to get there followed by some aggressive riding on sandy fire roads. These tires are much better in the sand than the OEM tires. I got 7800 miles out of the OEM tires before a front flat forced a change. If the Shinko 705s prove to be durable, I am a happy customer.
post #10 of 30 Old 03-22-2014, 09:30 PM
Stromthusiast!

KLR650. I got about 6,000 miles before the lugs started to tear apart on my 705's.

I can't complain because they lasted a long time and hooked up in both dirt and pavement, but that's my experience.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

2013 V-Strom 650
1999 DR350SE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode