Cheap quick heated grip install - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 11-19-2013, 07:57 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Cheap quick heated grip install

I needed something quick and cheap for hand warmers this year, so I installed the heat demon atv handwarmers. They were on clearance at a local shop that was going out of business for $25. I was not sure if I would like them, and because they are ATV, one would be hotter than the other due to the handlebar heat sink on the clutch side, I decided to do a temporary install. I really did not want to take of the grip and grind the throttle tube off. I plan on getting a better pair in the next year or two, and I also plan on new handlebars, so I will upgrade then. Here are a few pics of my install. I can remove them in the spring in about 15 min. It took me the most time to fabricate the switch bracket.

I used a mountain bike inner tube to hold the grips in place. I taped the heaters to the grips and then rolled an inner tube over them.

I wired it into my homemade power outlet plate with lighted switch.

This design works great. They get super hot and have held up very well. In total, $25 is not bad for how well this works.

Last edited by johnny5jz; 11-19-2013 at 08:03 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 11-20-2013, 08:33 AM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

nice job!
cheap is good
post #3 of 9 Old 11-20-2013, 12:39 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Good penny tech, now install some grip puppies over that and you have perfection!

BRIAN "GO Buckeyes, GO Wildcats"!

2015 DL650 XT "Hector"

1997 Honda Valkyrie 1500 custom “Dolores”

post #4 of 9 Old 11-20-2013, 08:10 PM
Stromthusiast!

I have those same heaters on my bike and had them on my old BMW. Those are Symtec grip heaters and are relatively inexpensvie, but I wouldn't call them "cheap" as in poor quality.

You can get the basic set up with a simple hi/lo switch here for about $40

ATV Symtec Heat Demon ATV Handlebar Grip Heater Kit | MotoSport

When I decided to put these on the VStrom, I found the same heaters, but with a much better 4 level switch, but that did add about $80 to the picture!

I still love them and would highly reccomend them, either the basic set up or with the four way controller. The controller has been slightly changed since I got mine last year, but the same basic idea, four levels, push button clicks up one level at a time and then returns to off.

These suckers get HOT and sometimes you don't need full high.

Symtec Heat Demon Heated Grips - RevZilla

'12 DL650A VStrom
post #5 of 9 Old 11-26-2013, 09:06 AM
Stromthusiast!

Unfortunately I don't have any old inner tubes lying around and not up to spec on sizing so I'll have to buy one - do you know what size inner tube you used ? I need a quick fix and got some of those grip heaters on order.

Stobie
post #6 of 9 Old 11-26-2013, 09:11 AM
Stromthusiast!

Stobie, you might pop into a bike shop and ask if they have any old used tubes from their bike service. They probably throw away a variety of sizes every week with the interest in bikes now. Probably the smallest size would expand to fit over the bars...being rubber and all.
The high/low switch isn't as good as a nice variable controller but that's all that came on my pricey BMW...high, low and off! Cheap buggers!
post #7 of 9 Old 11-26-2013, 09:18 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

The tube I used was a mountain bike tube. I tried a road bike tube first, but it would not stretch enough. I agree that a bike shop would probably give you one for free. I just happened to have a buddy that had a few old ones laying around. I have to say, this setup works really well. I could use a bit more control, because they get really hot. I will plan on designing a controller this winter hopefully. I would like to do a current limiting design that would not waste excess power.
post #8 of 9 Old 11-26-2013, 01:21 PM
Stromthusiast!

Thanks for that, I'll have a look out tomorrow see what I can find.

Stobie
post #9 of 9 Old 11-26-2013, 09:35 PM
Stromthusiast!

My Oxfords get warm enough that I used a heavy duty adhesive on the grips to keep them from rotating on the bars.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode