Any Advice before I Buy a V Strom 650 Adventure - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 52 Old 11-15-2013, 07:23 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Any Advice before I Buy a V Strom 650 Adventure

I am sold on the V Strom 650.

I definitely want to outfit it for Adventure/Touring. I plan to use it primarily on paved roads, but want to venture off the paved path occasionally.

Should I get the base model and outfit it with third party crash bars and panniers, or get the adventure model with the OEM parts?

Also, does anyone have any general lessons learned about their purchase that they might want to share before I commit?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 52 Old 11-15-2013, 08:00 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawdura View Post
I am sold on the V Strom 650.

I definitely want to outfit it for Adventure/Touring. I plan to use it primarily on paved roads, but want to venture off the paved path occasionally.

Should I get the base model and outfit it with third party crash bars and panniers, or get the adventure model with the OEM parts?

Also, does anyone have any general lessons learned about their purchase that they might want to share before I commit?

Thanks.
Welcome! I have the adventure model. The windscreen is not adequate, the crash bars vibrate and are prone to fatigue failures, and the side cases make more resonant noise than the exhaust on the freeway (but I still like the sidecases, at least.) You can do better/cheaper with aftermarket accessories. I would have preferred the other route, but it was just easier to sell the the wife, especially with 0% financing. I think 0% is gone for now, but I haven't checked in a while.
post #3 of 52 Old 11-15-2013, 08:27 PM
Stromthusiast!

I bought the plain version but had them put on the crash bars. Glad I did because I tipped it over two months after I got it. Snapped the tip of the brake lever, but otherwise just scratched the bars. If I'd waited I probably wouldn't have had a set on yet.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

Skipper
-------
2013 Suzuki DL 650 V-Strom
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Gone to someone else:
2003 Kawasaki KL 250 Super Sherpa
2006 Kawasaki KLR 650
1981 Yamaha Maxim 650

post #4 of 52 Old 11-15-2013, 08:50 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly2012 View Post
Welcome! I have the adventure model. The windscreen is not adequate, the crash bars vibrate and are prone to fatigue failures, and the side cases make more resonant noise than the exhaust on the freeway (but I still like the sidecases, at least.) You can do better/cheaper with aftermarket accessories. I would have preferred the other route, but it was just easier to sell the the wife, especially with 0% financing. I think 0% is gone for now, but I haven't checked in a while.
I have the Adventure model, too. I have about the same impression as this poster, but, I haven't had any vibration nor fatigue failures at this point. By the time I put on a Madstad bracket and screen, top box, bash-plate, I probably would have done better dollar-for-dollar to go with the base model and add the other pieces. It is a FINE bike, though. I really enjoy mine.
post #5 of 52 Old 11-15-2013, 08:53 PM
Stromthusiast!

Just pick one out and run, don't walk, to the dealer to get it. You'll have a great bike either way. Then be prepared for Farkleitis to set in.
post #6 of 52 Old 11-15-2013, 09:03 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Go with the non-adventure model

Get the normal model and then buy aftermarket crash bars. From what people are saying, the OEM crashbars develop cracks without the bike ever being dropped (likely due to vibration) and they bend if you do drop the bike.

When I bought mine (September 2013), Suzuki was throwing in the adventure model panniers for free with the normal model. I'm not sure if that deal is still going on, but it probably means that you will be able to find panniers for sale from folks who don't want them.
post #7 of 52 Old 11-15-2013, 09:08 PM
Stromthusiast!

I think the "base" model is a better value (and subjectively, comes in better colors).

I also think there are better, more svelte luggage options than the OEM / Trax stuff.
post #8 of 52 Old 11-15-2013, 09:18 PM
$tromtrooper

Buy the plain version and set it up yourself. Much better choices that way. Do you really want a bike that is 4 feet wide? My last cage was only 5 feet wide!

-Tom (DL650AL2) (KA1TOX) (E-I-E-I-O)

This message and images are licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License. http://creativecommons.org
post #9 of 52 Old 11-15-2013, 09:18 PM
Stromthusiast!

I bought the standard model and added ebay side racks and soft bags, a
heated vest/battery trickle charger/and air compressor outlet, oem hand guard set, sheep skin seat cover. All I need to add now are center stand , skid plate and crash bars and I should be done. But I am also considering extra lighting and heated grips. I just found the adventure bags too wide and the plastic belly pan too flimsy. I guess I like to add my own accessories. Either way your getting a great bike.
post #10 of 52 Old 11-15-2013, 10:03 PM
Stromthusiast!

I purchased the Adv model because the money was just better on it. Only pd about 800 more for it over the std model. But I have been pretty disappointed with the "factory fitted accessories". If I had a do over, I'd probably go std and fit it how I wanted.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode