Oil Cooler? - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 Old 11-14-2013, 08:50 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Oil Cooler?

The earlier V-Stroms appear to have an oil cooler under the radiator as an Oil to Air heat exchanger.

Our 2012+ units have the oil cooler sandwiched between the oil filter and the block as a Oil to Water heat exchanger.
There are two coolant lines running to it.

Was this change made as a cooling improvement or a cost/weight cutting measure?
Would it be worthwhile to install an Oil to Air heat exchanger?

2012 DL650 Adventure - Black
OEM Hand guards, OEM Heated grips, Stroma Center Stand and Shifter, SV Racing Frame and Swingarm sliders, Eastern Beaver power distribution, Skene Visibility Lights
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 11-14-2013, 09:01 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pele2048 View Post
The earlier V-Stroms appear to have an oil cooler under the radiator as an Oil to Air heat exchanger.

Our 2012+ units have the oil cooler sandwiched between the oil filter and the block as a Oil to Water heat exchanger.
There are two coolant lines running to it.

Was this change made as a cooling improvement or a cost/weight cutting measure?
Would it be worthwhile to install an Oil to Air heat exchanger?
I doubt it was purely a cost saving measure considering that a decade's worth of Stroms had the oil cooler mounted on the front of the engine and the relative cost of the part is probably negligible now.

I'm sure it was in part due to the extreme vulnerability of the previous generation's oil cooler, being exposed to debris coming off the front wheel and such.

This is just a more simple, more efficient setup.

I see no reason to install another oil cooler.
post #3 of 20 Old 11-14-2013, 09:14 PM
Stromthusiast!

It may have more to do with emissions requirements- the primary purpose may be to get the oil up to temperature faster. The new design may or may not be better at actually cooling the oil than before.

post #4 of 20 Old 11-14-2013, 11:21 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly2012 View Post
It may have more to do with emissions requirements- the primary purpose may be to get the oil up to temperature faster. The new design may or may not be better at actually cooling the oil than before.
That's what I was thinking...
I've had cars with the Water fed oil coolers that were a mid-year change and I've always seen higher oil temps on them versus when I swap in an earlier year's Air/Oil cooler.

2012 DL650 Adventure - Black
OEM Hand guards, OEM Heated grips, Stroma Center Stand and Shifter, SV Racing Frame and Swingarm sliders, Eastern Beaver power distribution, Skene Visibility Lights
post #5 of 20 Old 11-15-2013, 03:17 AM
Stromthusiast!

I've a temp gauge that replaces the oil filler cap, so it doesn't give a real oil temp as it's not touching the oil, but it does get oil mist over it. I reckon that when I'm riding it's mainly third gear upwards, with a gear change of around 5000 ish rpm, then the oil temp will be about 60 to 70 degrees C with an OAT up to 30 deg C. Stop start / low gears / hill climbs saw the maximum up to 80 deg C and drops down quite quickly when back above 3rd gear etc. 10 deg C and 60mph roads equals about 40 deg C.

So unlikely to overheat the oil in "normal" use, and very likely to see oil emulsification if doing open roads in the winter, as the oil just doesn't get hot enough.
post #6 of 20 Old 11-15-2013, 04:52 AM
Stromthusiast!

Th enew setup is much more efficient than the old, much more compact - and probably important to Suzuki - cheaper.

But, main point is, it works better anyway.

Pete
post #7 of 20 Old 11-15-2013, 11:16 AM
Stromthusiast!

I agree, the newer oil cooling set up is better. It not only cools the oil but warms it up as well. With the new design you are not going to get the high spikes in oil temp and the oil temperatures will be more consistent and lower overall.

No doubt EPA stuff had something to do with this as well, as even Harley had to go to water cooling on their vtwins. I've read somewhere that the European EPA standards where getting stiffer in 2015.

The new DL650 gets better gas mileage ( according to the manufacture ) so that means it is running leaner or more efficient depending on your point of view. Therefore better overall cooling is required.
post #8 of 20 Old 11-15-2013, 11:40 AM
Stromthusiast!

I need to see a diagram of the oil system in the bikes. Is there a thermostatic valve anywhere to divert oil away from the old air-cooled or new water-cooled cooler when the oil is cold? At what point in the coolant system does the coolant go to the new oil cooler?

Normal engine oil temperature in the sump is above 200F, maybe up to 220, and a max of something like 250F. Aftermarket thermostatic valves for add-on oil coolers usually begin to open at 180F; I don't know about OEM valves. Sending the hot coolant to the oil cooler before that coolant goes to the radiator is one common way to do it--many large diesels are set up that way, and my Volvo turbo car engine had its oil cooler in the hot tank of the radiator along with a thermostatic valve to bypass the cooler until the oil was hot.

The early pics of the '14 DL1000 showed an air-cooled oil cooler. Later pics showed a water-cooled oil cooler.

Also keep in mind that the air passing over the outside of the engine and around the sump is a major source of oil cooling, as is heat transfer through the engine metal to the coolant. Cold weather riding will have much cooler oil, and very hot weather riding will have hotter oil. I like an xW-50 oil in our engines in very hot climates to help ensure good protection at the hottest points inside the engine.

"Older people who are reasonable, good-tempered, and gracious will bear aging well. Those who are mean-spirited and irritable will be unhappy at every period of their lives.

"Let each of use properly whatever strengths he has and strive to use them well. If he does this, he will never find himself lacking."

Marcus Tullius Cicero
44 B.C.
post #9 of 20 Old 11-15-2013, 11:55 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTRider View Post
I need to see a diagram of the oil system in the bikes. Is there a thermostatic valve anywhere to divert oil away from the old air-cooled or new water-cooled cooler when the oil is cold? At what point in the coolant system does the coolant go to the new oil cooler?

Coolant heats up WAY faster than Oil. When the engine first starts heat will flow from the Coolant (as it warms up) to the Oil. When the oil is hotter than the coolant, heat will flow to the coolant. The Coolant has your typical Thermostat on it.. none is needed on the oil cooler.

This is WAY better than air based oil cooler. Faster warmup of hte oil, and much more efficient cooling of the oil when hot. Especially in slow moving or stopped situations.

..Tom

2006 DL650: 202,000 km 125,500 miles, Sold
2012 DL650 139,500+ km, 86,700+ miles. Sold
2015 DL1000 New July 2015 200,000+ km, 125,000 miles.

This can help preventing from cars pulling out in front of you (SMIDSY)
SMIDSY detailed report.

post #10 of 20 Old 11-15-2013, 12:55 PM
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT

Garage
Here's the diagram.

Pat- 2007 DL650A was ridden to all 48 contiguous states. I didn't quite make it to 17,000 miles on the 2012 DL650A.
Nicknames I use to lessen typing, Vee = 2002-2012 DL1000s. Vee2=2014-2016 DL1000s. Wee = 2004-2011 DL650s. Glee = 2012-2016 DL650s
See https://www.stromtrooper.com/general-...nicknames.html

Please vote in the poll on what Strom(s) you have at https://www.stromtrooper.com/informat...-you-have.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode