SV Racing Frame and Swingarm slider install PICS! (On an Adventure w/ Crash Bars) - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 11-11-2013, 07:16 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

SV Racing Frame and Swingarm slider install PICS! (On an Adventure w/ Crash Bars)

So I recently got my Swingarm and Frame Sliders. (Combo deal)
Blair at SV Racing is on top of things. He called me on a Sunday, very shortly after I placed the order just to confirm my bike's year and the type of crash bars that are on it. (Apparently, there are minor changes to the hardware based on the year and if they're SW Motech or Suzuki crash bars.)

The instructions provided are good, but lacked pictures... I'm a very visual person when it comes to hands on work. Drawings and photos help immensely...

I decided to take pictures as I went along to help anyone who's interested in getting these.

The install process takes about 30 minutes if you're going slow. If you finish ahead of time, consider rewarding yourself with a beer!

You'll need:
-17 mm box ended wrenches. (For the stock engine mounting bolt. Sockets are okay too. I would not recommend Adjustable wrenches for the stock engine mounting bolt due to the torque it's put in at. There is a risk of rounding off the head.)

-24 mm or Adjustable wrenches (For the posts of the Frame Sliders.)

-6mm Hex Bit (Allen Wrench will also suffice. It's for the plastic ends of the frame sliders, to loosen the crash bars, and for the swingarm sliders.)

So start by removing the long bolt that goes through the frame and holds the upper engine mount in place:

The Frame Slider kit comes with a long threaded rod to replace this bolt. Slide it in.

Two washers on each side and one large spacer on each side will fall out. You should end up with one long bolt, four washers, two spacers, and a nylon locknut.
Set it aside if you ever want to return to stock.
(Placeholder - I didn't get a pic of the removed hardware.)

Loosen up your upper crash bar mounting. You do not need to remove these bolts entirely. Just loosen them about 3/4 of an inch should do.
You should be able to pull on the crash bars to get them away from the bike. You can use your foot to push against the frame or engine for some leverage, but the bars should have plenty of give.

The Frame Slider kit will have two new spacers and one washer to install. It is important to note that there are two different spacers for left and right. The larger of the two goes on the left side. The one large washer also only goes on the left side.

This section of the included instructions goes as follows:
"The smaller spacer goes on the right side and the larger spacer goes on the left side, with the Single Large Washer included going between it and the special Suzuki engine bolt."
This part confused me because I thought I took out the Suzuki bolt at first.
This really means the engine mount that is inside the frame.
https://www.stromtrooper.com/sv-racin...-included.html

Put the washer in up against the engine mount inside the frame and then the spacer goes in next. Install the large spacer and washer like so:

Center up the long threaded rod left to right:

Apply BLUE threadlocker to one side. I have red threadlocker in a blue tube. It's very confusing. I would have needed a torch to remove these if I used the red.

Hand tighten one of the aluminum support posts for the Frame Sliders.

Apply BLUE threadlocker to the other side.

Hand tighten the other aluminum support post.

Use wrenches to snug the two aluminum support posts. (Very hard to manipulate two wrenches while taking a pic.)

Pay attention to the directions. They say not to "Go gorilla" on it.
Too tight and you'll bend part of the frame. You may also crush the engine mount and introduce vibrations from the engine into the frame. Half to one full turn after hand tight should be good.

Add threadlocker to the allen headed bolts and install the plastic end pieces.

Finally, if you got the swingarm sliders, they go where the race stand pegs go. (Don't forget the threadlocker.)

2012 DL650 Adventure - Black
OEM Hand guards, OEM Heated grips, Stroma Center Stand and Shifter, SV Racing Frame and Swingarm sliders, Eastern Beaver power distribution, Skene Visibility Lights
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 11-11-2013, 10:16 PM
Stromthusiast!

Very nice writeup. I thought about mounting the same sliders up front but decided they'd get in the way of my leg's reach to the highway bars (mounted to the front of my skid plate). Thoughts?

2012 DL650A Adv.
post #3 of 6 Old 11-11-2013, 11:08 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattski1 View Post
Very nice writeup. I thought about mounting the same sliders up front but decided they'd get in the way of my leg's reach to the highway bars (mounted to the front of my skid plate). Thoughts?
No highway pegs on my bike, so I can't say for certain.
I'm pretty sure they'd get in the way of putting your feet on the highway pegs.

OEM Hand guards, OEM Heated grips, Stroma Center Stand and Shifter, SV Racing Frame and Swingarm sliders, Eastern Beaver power distribution, Skene Visibility Lights

post #4 of 6 Old 11-12-2013, 04:18 AM
Stromthusiast!

Why did you keep the "accessory bars" on with the sliders?
post #5 of 6 Old 11-12-2013, 07:14 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oop North John View Post
Why did you keep the "accessory bars" on with the sliders?
You mean the crash bars?

I suppose they protect the radiator, fairing, and other items. I may want to put some auxiliary lighting on them in the future.

post #6 of 6 Old 11-12-2013, 07:22 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pele2048 View Post
You mean the crash bars?

I suppose they protect the radiator, fairing, and other items. I may want to put some auxiliary lighting on them in the future.
Yep, but it's what they're called here

https://www.suzuki-gb.co.uk/motorcyc...cessory-bar:9/

probably due to the litigation culture that's been imported.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode