Kaoko fitment question - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 38 Old 11-11-2013, 01:29 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Kaoko fitment question

Greetings,

I just received the Kaoko throttle lock form the folks at Twisted Throttle. Reading the instructions it says the throttle sleeve may need to be moved out to create 2mm of the bar to be recessed inside the grip. Makes sense to me so the unit has something to squish and hold the throttle. It also reads "some throttle and switch assemblies may be pinned." "Remove the pin to allow the assembly to slide".
Before I rip and tear doing damage where is the pin located. In the bar or switch housing? Does it go into the bar or across the bar in a slot? I could not find any exploded diagrams and the parts "Fische" only shows a switch assembly.

Thanks in advance.

I don't mind the going and I don't mind the stopping. I absolutely hate the stop and going.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 Old 11-11-2013, 04:03 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
there is a little pin on the inside of the bottom half of the switch housing. It fit's into a little hole in the bottom of the handle bar. I ground mine off - but I wish I hadnt. I could not get the Kaoko to fit inside my handle bar, and now my vista cruise does not hold the grip as solidly as it should.

2013 DL650 Adventure
post #3 of 38 Old 11-11-2013, 04:33 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
I ground mine off - but I wish I hadnt. I could not get the Kaoko to fit inside my handle bar, and now my vista cruise does not hold the grip as solidly as it should.
Drill and tap where the pin was for an appropriate sized set screw and you have a pin again. Probably also done by just drilling and JBWelding a pin in if you can find an appropriate size. Section of nail?

Why would the Kaoko not fit? I was planning on getting a Kaoko as I like the one I put on my Wife's Versys.

. . . . . BIKES . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . DL650 FARKLES
2013 DL650 Adventure . . . . . . BB VPS, HT Center Stand,
2009 DR650, 2009 DRZ400 . . . .Kaoko, Oxford Grips.
2002 ZG1000, 1999 DR350 . . . .EB PC-8, ABS Switch &
-Some others long gone-. . . . . Headlight Relay Kit.
75&77 CB400F, 78 GS550 . . . . AdvTech Fork Brace,
---- First Bike ----. . . . . . . . . Peg Lowering Kit,
------ 1973 ------. . . . . . . . . Aux Shelf & Over Dash Shelf.
-- Suzuki T-500 --. . . . . . . . . E. G. Bash Plate & Hwy Pegs

post #4 of 38 Old 11-11-2013, 05:11 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post
Drill and tap where the pin was for an appropriate sized set screw and you have a pin again. Probably also done by just drilling and JBWelding a pin in if you can find an appropriate size. Section of nail?

Why would the Kaoko not fit? I was planning on getting a Kaoko as I like the one I put on my Wife's Versys.
Yeah I have been thinking about a set screw. I will come up with something. I could not get the Kaoko to go inside the bar. Just a hir too big. Someone on this forum advised to take a dremel to the inside of the bar and grind it down a bit right at the edge. I did that, but not very much. I set it aside to come back to later. That was probably 3 months ago. I guess it's "later" now.

2013 DL650 Adventure
post #5 of 38 Old 11-11-2013, 08:49 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Thanks for the advise and warning. I found the Peg. It IS part of the lower switch housing. You can even remove it so you can more easily grind it off.
However with the information supplied I am going to first see that the Koako does fit.
One more question. The instructions provided say to use the large plastic washer between the throttle lock and the bar end. The washer has a step in it. Does the step face to the bars or the Kaoko unit?
These included instructions are as bad as the Suzuki OE instructions or worse.

Thanks for the input.

I don't mind the going and I don't mind the stopping. I absolutely hate the stop and going.
post #6 of 38 Old 11-12-2013, 10:14 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

I did remove the lower part of the switch housing. The "Pin" the instructions refer to is a removable block with the pin cat into it. I can understand the concerns here. Suzuki probably added the pin to keep the switch housing from rotating or moving in any way. However I see 2 solutions.
1) Cut the pin and add a small piece of carpet tape to hold the switch housing when it is all reassembled.
2) The instructions say to move the switch housing/grips out to allow for 2.5 mm recess with the bars. That way the friction wheel will have room to squish against the grip and hold it. WHY NOT remove the grips to get clear access to the end of the bar and remove 2.5 mm from THE BAR. No pin removal required.

There is a 3rd option that would work best and needs to be address by Kaoko. The included friction washer needs a big enough step/recess to compensate for the spacing requirement.

I will probably go with plan 2 after I think it through to be sure there are no hidden pitfalls.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1727.JPG (55.4 KB, 35 views)

post #7 of 38 Old 11-12-2013, 12:49 PM
Stromthusiast!

I also opened up the switch housing, removed the block, and ground off the small plastic pin with a Dremel on my workbench, then reinserted the block. So far the housing does not seem to be sliding on the bar despite no longer being pinned. I was able to install the throttle lock but have mixed feelings about it, as it is too easy to accidentally rotate on with the edge of your hand when not intended, occasionally creating throttle surprises in mid-corner for example. I don't do a lot of long distance/freeway, so have not really tested it fully yet as a cruise-control substitute. If you later want to uninstall the throttle lock and re-install the swtich housing pin, it is not sold as a separate part, you have to buy the whole switch assembly (about $85 at cheap cycle parts), or try to fabricate a new pin as discussed above.
post #8 of 38 Old 11-12-2013, 04:07 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
but have mixed feelings about it
Let me know when it hits the second hand stand.

post #9 of 38 Old 11-14-2013, 10:49 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

This is the follow up on my original post. Studying this as much as I could there are pitfalls to each possible solution.
1) Following choice number 1 may allow for the housing to move. If that were to happen I could replace the housing. That would be $80+ and the need to follow the wiring all the way down to the connector. More work than I really want to do.
2) Removing material from the end of the bar means I can never go back to the stock bar end weight. The hand guards won't fit correctly and the necessary clearance for the grip to rotate will cause binding.
3) Another possibility is to drill another hole. However 2.5mm spacing means there is no hole but ends up being a slot and the switch housing may still slide in the newly created slot when the pressure of the Kaoko unit is applied.

If anybody has additional thoughts and solutions put them down here.

Thanks all.

post #10 of 38 Old 11-14-2013, 02:16 PM
Stromthusiast!

My email to Kaoko:

"to [email protected]
I have previously installed your product on my wife's 2009 Kawasaki KLE650 Versys and have been satisfied with the product on that bike. I actually prefer your product to the more expensive Throttlemeister I have on my Kawasaki Concours. I now own a 2013 Suzuki DL650 V-Sstrom and I'm considering an installation of your product on it also. However, there are some concerns fairly well outlined in the popular Stromtroopers forum. Here is the forum thread if you would like to address the topic: https://www.stromtrooper.com/dl650-20...ml#post1745113 .

I agree with the thread poster that suggests that providing a proper friction washer for the bike would be a preferred solution, rather than removing the locator pin on the controls.
Anxiously awaiting your response."

I instantly received an autoresponder message stating "Thank you for your email. We will respond to your enquiry within 1 business day."

Lets see if that was worth the effort.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
edit:
I quickly received a CC from Kaoko:

"HI Johan

Please have a chat to Roy about this and follow up with the customer as soon as you can.

Thank you

Kind Regards

Nicolas Mentis"

Looks promising!

Last edited by oink; 11-14-2013 at 02:47 PM. Reason: an addition
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode