Winter riding? - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 11-06-2013, 08:47 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Winter riding?

So I recently got my V-Strom and I do not intend on putting it away for the winter.
Being near major highways and a major metropolitan area, the roads get plowed well. Unfortunately, they also get salted.

What can I do to protect my V-Strom from corrosion?
I've heard that the older version suffered from corrosion problems. Do the newer units have any protective coating?
Is there anything I should avoid spraying with water when I rinse/wash it down?

If it's above freezing and there's no danger of black ice, I'm thinking I can ride.

2012 DL650 Adventure - Black
OEM Hand guards, OEM Heated grips, Stroma Center Stand and Shifter, SV Racing Frame and Swingarm sliders, Eastern Beaver power distribution, Skene Visibility Lights
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 11-06-2013, 09:07 PM
$tromtrooper

It's not just black ice, it's frost (white/grey ice) you have to look for.

-Tom (DL650AL2) (KA1TOX) (E-I-E-I-O)

This message and images are licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License. http://creativecommons.org
post #3 of 16 Old 11-06-2013, 09:25 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Winter Riding

I've been considering moving to the northeast, and this will definitely be the hardest part for me. It's still 80 degrees out here in San Diego midday!

post #4 of 16 Old 11-06-2013, 09:58 PM
Stromthusiast!

Here's a thread on winter corrosion problems.

https://www.stromtrooper.com/general-...worries-2.html

My DR650 which died last Friday after 69,833 miles was ridden year round and I had corrosion on brake calipers and some fasteners. The UV damage to the plastic was much more visible. It seems leaving it parked in the sun during work uglied it up more than salted roads.
post #5 of 16 Old 11-06-2013, 11:08 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Wet roads with brine/salt is the issue, no problem if dry. I do nothing special, and have not a single visible bit of rust on any bike I have owned.

BRIAN "GO Buckeyes, GO Wildcats"!

2015 DL650 XT "Hector"

1997 Honda Valkyrie 1500 custom “Dolores”

post #6 of 16 Old 11-07-2013, 10:39 AM
Stromthusiast!

I ride all winter. So far, the only rust have is on my Happy Trails center stand hardware.
post #7 of 16 Old 11-07-2013, 10:49 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pele2048 View Post
So I recently got my V-Strom and I do not intend on putting it away for the winter.
Being near major highways and a major metropolitan area, the roads get plowed well. Unfortunately, they also get salted.

What can I do to protect my V-Strom from corrosion?
I've heard that the older version suffered from corrosion problems. Do the newer units have any protective coating?
Is there anything I should avoid spraying with water when I rinse/wash it down?

If it's above freezing and there's no danger of black ice, I'm thinking I can ride.
I pretty much ride unless there is snow or ice on the roads. Our roads up here have been brined on and off for the last few weeks. I have never seen any issues with rust on factory parts. Some of my aftermarket parts get some surface rust on occasion.

As far as black ice goes be aware it is most likely going to happen when the air temperature is above freezing and the road surface is below freezing. The mosture in the air freezes on cold surfaces causing the ice. Whne you hit it you just have to try and relax and be very gentle as there isn't much traction at all.

..Tom

2006 DL650: 202,000 km 125,500 miles, Sold
2012 DL650 139,500+ km, 86,700+ miles. Sold
2015 DL1000 New July 2015 200,000+ km, 125,000 miles.

This can help preventing from cars pulling out in front of you (SMIDSY)
SMIDSY detailed report.

post #8 of 16 Old 11-07-2013, 05:12 PM
$tromtrooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueblue550 View Post
I've been considering moving to the northeast, and this will definitely be the hardest part for me. It's still 80 degrees out here in San Diego midday!
The leaves are off the trees here and the wood stove is on. Want to trade??
Seriously, if you like riding, you don't want to move here, unless by the northeast you mean Deleware.... Trust me.

'15 Tiger800 XRx
'99 Triumph Thunderbird Sport
'89 Honda NX250

"Why don't I have tattoos? For the same reason you don't put a bumper sticker on a Ferrari."
post #9 of 16 Old 11-07-2013, 05:46 PM
$tromtrooper

One recommendation would be to get a fenda extenda to reduce the amount of crud reaches the center stand and other under parts.
Another is to use "wheel keep clean" from Wally's World. Put it on after cleaning the wheels. Not only does it make cleaning the wheels a snap, I don't see why it wouldn't help with the hinge points on the center stand and general brine and grime resistance of the under parts while you've got it out.
Don't use water to wash the bike unless its mild enough out to dry the bike completely before it freezes again...

'15 Tiger800 XRx
'99 Triumph Thunderbird Sport
'89 Honda NX250

"Why don't I have tattoos? For the same reason you don't put a bumper sticker on a Ferrari."
post #10 of 16 Old 11-07-2013, 06:05 PM
Stromthusiast!

ACF-50 is good to spray all over the underside if you deal with a lot of slush and salt. I ride all winter and use it. hard part is finding it. try aviation retailers.

"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things." ---George Carlin

2005 Triumph Sprint ST 1050
2009 XT250
2007 dl650
2002 Beta Rev 3 trials bike
2012 CBR250R
1996 TW200
2001 tt-r 125
2012 Buddy 125
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode