Annoyed with rattly Givi top case mount - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 11-02-2013, 01:46 PM Thread Starter
Aka
Stromthusiast!

Annoyed with rattly Givi top case mount

I've complained in a number of places throughout the forum about it but I guess it didn't annoy me enough until today to actually ask others if they have the same issue and if there's a solution.

I have a 52L Trekker top case on my bike, I bought it at the same time as the bike and it was there before I 'knew better'. That is to say, it was fine, it was a little more loose seeming than the SHAD 47L case I had on my SV650S but I figured that's how it goes.

However two things have happened since then. I bought Jesse Luggage side cases which feel absolutely solid by comparison. And I've also popped my Trekker onto a friends V-strom 1000 using their Givi mount and the damn thing was solid there.

Is there something inherently wrong with the Givi mount on the '12 V-strom 650? I notice that on the wee it sure hangs off a lot compared to the 1000. Of course, there's a lot less space for it on the 650.

Is there a stronger mount system available? In the mean time I've just put some cardboard between the case and the mount to stop it from rattling so much, but it of course does nothing to strengthen the system.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 11-02-2013, 02:32 PM
Stromtrooper.com Sponsor

Use a mouse pad instead of the cardboard. That fixes it for most people.

:arrow: Follow the V-Strom Cache Adventure | See Where the Cache has Been | Play the Stromtrooper Picture Game | Play the Weekly Picture Game

Preferred V-Strom Model Nicknames: 02-12 DL1000 Vee, 2014+ DL1000 ABS Vee2, 04-11 DL650 Wee, 12-16 DL650 Wee2, 17+ DL650 Wee3
V-Stroms I've owned: Wee.07, Wee.11, Wee2.13. Currently Wee-less
post #3 of 15 Old 11-02-2013, 02:38 PM Thread Starter
Aka
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satch View Post
Use a mouse pad instead of the cardboard. That fixes it for most people.
That only fixes a symptom of the greater issue though. Yes, I wont hear it rattle, just as the cardboard is doing right now. Which was actually a fix on the road that I never bothered to improve on as it worked so far.

But the greater issue is the entire mount is flimsy, the case moves way too much with very minimal effort. Coughing on it might be enough to make it wobble about.

post #4 of 15 Old 11-02-2013, 06:27 PM
Stromthusiast!

amotostuff

amotostuff.com makes Givi luggage mounts for the Strom that are much sturdier, and are adjustable as well. I have one and love it.
post #5 of 15 Old 11-02-2013, 07:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aka View Post
I've complained in a number of places throughout the forum about it but I guess it didn't annoy me enough until today to actually ask others if they have the same issue and if there's a solution.

I have a 52L Trekker top case on my bike, I bought it at the same time as the bike and it was there before I 'knew better'. That is to say, it was fine, it was a little more loose seeming than the SHAD 47L case I had on my SV650S but I figured that's how it goes.

However two things have happened since then. I bought Jesse Luggage side cases which feel absolutely solid by comparison. And I've also popped my Trekker onto a friends V-strom 1000 using their Givi mount and the damn thing was solid there.

Is there something inherently wrong with the Givi mount on the '12 V-strom 650? I notice that on the wee it sure hangs off a lot compared to the 1000. Of course, there's a lot less space for it on the 650.

Is there a stronger mount system available? In the mean time I've just put some cardboard between the case and the mount to stop it from rattling so much, but it of course does nothing to strengthen the system.
This the very same reason why I went with the SRA3101 top box plate, which is the aluminium version and is solid as a rock!

It is a much neater fit on the bike, and doesn't overhang too much like the plastic version. It follows the lines of the OEM rack and is nice and strong.

Another trick I was told was to replace the rubber "bungs" that come with the plates (which the box rests on) to part # Z126B.
These are a slightly longer rubber bung. To put the Trekker box on now requires a little more pressure to make it click, but the box is definitely more secure.

I have taken my Trekker 52 over some pretty rough terrain, bounced it around and no issues

See more here: SRA3101 Alloy Monokey Top Box Plate | A Pair of Stroms

Last edited by zedex9r; 11-02-2013 at 07:29 PM.
post #6 of 15 Old 11-02-2013, 07:48 PM
Stromthusiast!

In addition to the optional Givi mount SW Motech makes a steel mounting plate (I believe they also make an aluminum one, but not available in the US?). It comes with two sets of rubber snubbers to adjust the fit. Very solid.
Don't know the price difference, both should work well. See Twisted Throttle for more info.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
post #7 of 15 Old 11-03-2013, 12:55 AM Thread Starter
Aka
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zedex9r View Post
This the very same reason why I went with the SRA3101 top box plate, which is the aluminium version and is solid as a rock!

It is a much neater fit on the bike, and doesn't overhang too much like the plastic version. It follows the lines of the OEM rack and is nice and strong.

Another trick I was told was to replace the rubber "bungs" that come with the plates (which the box rests on) to part # Z126B.
These are a slightly longer rubber bung. To put the Trekker box on now requires a little more pressure to make it click, but the box is definitely more secure.

I have taken my Trekker 52 over some pretty rough terrain, bounced it around and no issues

See more here: SRA3101 Alloy Monokey Top Box Plate | A Pair of Stroms
I didn't get the aluminum plate because I thought it had a lower weight rating than the plastic one did. Perhaps just swapping for the aluminum one would be enough, plus the little rubber bungs.

I've ridden over some reasonably rough terrain with the bike as is, and it didn't break off, nor did I get to look at it while on the rough terrain. But given how easy I can move it with a light touch, I imagined it bouncing wildly and eventually breaking off.

I'll check out the options mentioned in the thread so far, maybe just getting the aluminum mounting plate will be enough.

Edit: Reading the warning on your plate, I do believe it's rated for 4 kg less than the plastic one. Who comes up with these tiny weights anyway.. 6 kg, that's like the Trekker 52L itself...
post #8 of 15 Old 11-03-2013, 01:05 AM
Stromthusiast!

Make sure that you fix that rattle - either replace the rubber bungs or stick a strip of rubber on the underside of the box so it is firmly mounted down. Otherwise you will flog out the lock bolt and lose you box...trust me...

'08 Vee: Suzy luggage, Crash bars, Rad Guard & front mudguard extension, Zumo 550, Oxford Hot grips, Stebel, PC-8, 12v acc, Scott oiler & lube-tube, Remus Revolution Cans, Bark Busters, Phillips Extreme vision +100 bulbs.

'08 Concours 14: Rad guard, Stebel, Oxford Hot grips, Projekt D Screen, Hugger, GPS mount, helmet locks & front guard extension, Zumo 550, Stebel, Phil's rack & Givi V46, Sheepskin seat cover, Phillips Extreme vision +100 bulbs.

http://banditrider.weebly.com/index.html
http://banditrider.blogspot.com/
post #9 of 15 Old 11-03-2013, 08:01 AM
Stromthusiast!

I have the Givi plastic monokey top box mount with the E45 case and I have no rattling. The case mounts very solidly with no room for movement.
post #10 of 15 Old 11-03-2013, 10:32 AM
Stromthusiast!

I have the plastic mount (SR3101) as well, and while I have no rattle it rocks back and fourth the entire ride. At first it scared me and I didn't trust it, but after about 5,000 miles of running it I see no damage. I still don't trust it and look back constantly.

I regret not going with the aluminum rack.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode