My new helmet - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 47 Old 11-01-2013, 08:03 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Wink My new helmet

I've just bought a new helmet to match with my bike. :mrgreen:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 47 Old 11-01-2013, 08:52 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

that is gonna look good...like an imperial speeder bike.
i like the rim reflectors too btw

Hey....did you see something fall off my bike.....other than me.
post #3 of 47 Old 11-02-2013, 02:23 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrolump View Post
that is gonna look good...like an imperial speeder bike.
i like the rim reflectors too btw
Well he is a "Stromtrooper" after all :mrgreen:

Great looking helmet Amuro. Shoei is always fantastic quality and that will look great on the Strom, very adventure looking

It is almost the same design as the new XLite X551 that I have coming, that should hopefully be here this week.
I went with the XLite because of the integrated Bluetooth Intercom built in.

post #4 of 47 Old 11-02-2013, 07:29 AM
Stromthusiast!

Very cool. And looking good.

"Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can muffle the sound"

[SIZE="2"][I]2012 DL 650A "Recon Rex"
2007 KTM 990 Adventure
2003 Honda 750 Nighthawk
2000 Yamahie XT225[/I][/SIZE]
post #5 of 47 Old 11-02-2013, 08:50 AM
Stromthusiast!

Yep, very nice but pricey I suppose...

I have a low-price HJC (CL-16 (white)) that's served me well but I've never owned a really high quality helmet like SHOEI (and I sort-of want one).

Is the quality really 3-4X better?

2007 Wee. Blue. Bought at 5K miles. Sold at 32K+ miles. Gone but not forgotten.

2012 Wee2 Adventure. Black. Bought at 26K miles. Now 46K+. Love it!
post #6 of 47 Old 11-02-2013, 09:19 AM
$tromtrooper

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HokiesRWee View Post

I have a low-price HJC (CL-16 (white)) that's served me well but I've never owned a really high quality helmet like SHOEI (and I sort-of want one).

YES, and that quality really shows itself after a few years of use.

"Side effects may include: Mild kidney explosions...Testicular cranberrying... And Rectal hallucinations."
post #7 of 47 Old 11-02-2013, 09:54 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jokermtb View Post
YES, and that quality really shows itself after a few years of use.
My thoughts on helmet quality is that Shoie and Arai build helmets for racers that will crash, the HJCs of the world build helmets to "pass a test". Very different points of view. I'll take the tool designed for the job any day.

And yes the do hold up fine after lots of wearing.

For the OP that is a nice looking lid. How is the wind management behind the screen on the bike?
post #8 of 47 Old 11-02-2013, 10:36 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokiesRWee View Post

I'm actually doing a research project for college right now on motorcycle PPE and this is one of the things I am looking at. Technically, every helmet sold in the U.S. has to pass DOT safety tests before they can be sold. So in that regard, the $600-$800 helmet had to pass the same tests as the $100 helmet did. Crash data is a garbled mess to weed through and most of it simply focuses on whether or not the rider was wearing a helmet at the time of the crash. That said, what data that I can find really doesn't show an increased level of protection from an expensive helmet versus an inexpensive one. The build quality will be better absolutely, but as far as whether or not the expensive one is "safer" or not, it really doesn't seem to be the case.

The major difference I have seen with the more expensive helmets is the materials they use and the major thing is the weight. I picked up a new Shoei (don't remember the model) the other day and I swear it was like holding a few sheets of paper in my hand, it was that light (compared to the $100 Bilt helmet that I'm using now that probably weighs a few pounds). It was also $600, but from the weight alone, I can see where the price comes from. From a safety stand point though, it had to pass the same tests that the cheaper helmets do. There is also SNELL to look at since they have more stringent testing, but it's also voluntary on the part of the helmet manufacturer.

I've noticed a difference in build quality as well depending on price as some helmets feel more "plasticy" or feel looser than others. My $100 helmet that I have now definitely feels kind of frumpy compared to other helmets that I've looked at recently like Schuberth, Nolan, HJC, etc. The new version of the helmet that I own now, which is still carrying a $100 price tag, feels night and day different/more solid than my old discontinued model. The new one feels every bit as solid as the more expensive ones that I've played around with.

The other argument that is out there is by what level did the helmet pass the testing? They all have to pass, but did the more expensive helmet pass the test better than the cheap one? I don't know, I can't find any data to back that up to support or deny that claim. It's like someone else said, some helmets are made for professional use and I'm sure there is a difference in their build quality. But for basic street use, I have yet to really find anything that backs up an expensive helmet being better than a cheaper more affordable one.

Like jackets, boots, gloves, and the bike itself, you buy as much as you can for the budget you have to work with

The opinions expressed in this forum are those of the poster and may not necessarily be the same as the reader - that's why it's called an opinion.

If loud pipes save lives, imagine what safety gear can do.

How come if a man kills another man in the heat of passion he's a murderer? But if a man kills another man in the heat of battle he's a hero?
post #9 of 47 Old 11-02-2013, 10:41 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zedex9r View Post

Great looking helmet Amuro. Shoei is always fantastic quality and that will look great on the Strom, very adventure looking

It is almost the same design as the new XLite X551 that I have coming, that should hopefully be here this week.

Just needs one of those Storm Trooper leather sets from UD Replicas and he'll be set.
post #10 of 47 Old 11-02-2013, 03:54 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zedex9r View Post

Intergrated Bluetooth Intercom built in the helmet. Wow! It sounds great.
I want a Bluetooth Hand-free which can be installed on my new helmet too. This one is too expensive, isn't it?
Interphone F5XT Bluetooth Helmet Headset - INTERPHONEF5XT - Bluetooth Helmet Headsets - Products - Interphone Wireless
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode