Heated gear... - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 Old 11-01-2013, 12:38 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Heated gear...

Hey guys,

I want to finally splurge out and get heated gear. The whole works, gloves, jacket, pants and insole liners.

I am however worried that the poor Wee's alternator might not have the juice for that set up.

I have read some threads here with folks using the heated gear without any problems.

At this point I don't have any auxiliary lights on the bike, or even heated grips.

I figure that if I do ever install auxiliary lights, I will have to install and on/off switch as well so that would give me some flexibility when I colder weather would necessitate me wearing heated gear.

Any advice regarding the gear?

I am veering towards the Tourmaster Synergy set up since it already comes with a controller. I am not too sure about the heated insole inserts? Are they worthwhile?

In addition to the heated gear I am gonna install the barkbusters to get some wind protection as well for the hands.

Any advice regarding the heated gear set up? Any other brands worth considering too?

PS- If it matters I have the '12 DL650

Last edited by c50towner; 11-01-2013 at 12:59 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 Old 11-01-2013, 12:44 PM
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT

Garage
I run heated gloves, grips, jacket liner, pants liner and boot soles when it gets really cold. HID headlights save about 20 watts and don't vary in brightness much when the heat controller is cycling. I can run both headlights at a little more than 1/2 on the controller and full power with one headlight off.

Pat- 2007 DL650A was ridden to all 48 contiguous states. I didn't quite make it to 17,000 miles on the 2012 DL650A.
Nicknames I use to lessen typing, Vee = 2002-2012 DL1000s. Vee2=2014-2016 DL1000s. Wee = 2004-2011 DL650s. Glee = 2012-2016 DL650s
See https://www.stromtrooper.com/general-...nicknames.html

Please vote in the poll on what Strom(s) you have at https://www.stromtrooper.com/informat...-you-have.html
post #3 of 35 Old 11-01-2013, 01:15 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywolf View Post
I run heated gloves, grips, jacket liner, pants liner and boot soles when it gets really cold. HID headlights save about 20 watts and don't vary in brightness much when the heat controller is cycling. I can run both headlights at a little more than 1/2 on the controller and full power with one headlight off.

Interesting I didn't consider changing the headlights to HIDs. We would need a projector housing too?

post #4 of 35 Old 11-01-2013, 01:29 PM
Super Moderator

I just returned my Synergy 2 stuff as, after less than a year of use it started falling apart. It's built to a very cheap price and it shows it. In fariness to Tourmaster they gave the store I shop at full refund for it.

You might be surprised at how warm you will be with just gloves and Jacket and some nice fleece pants under your riding pants.

..Tom

2006 DL650: 202,000 km 125,500 miles, Sold
2012 DL650 139,500+ km, 86,700+ miles. Sold
2015 DL1000 New July 2015 200,000+ km, 125,000 miles.

This can help preventing from cars pulling out in front of you (SMIDSY)
SMIDSY detailed report.

post #5 of 35 Old 11-01-2013, 01:38 PM
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by c50towner View Post
Interesting I didn't consider changing the headlights to HIDs. We would need a projector housing too?
That would be best, but I'm happy with a lamp conversion kit. The stock V-Strom reflector housings do a good job with properly aimed headlights. I've never had oncoming traffic flash their brights at me.

Pat- 2007 DL650A was ridden to all 48 contiguous states. I didn't quite make it to 17,000 miles on the 2012 DL650A.
Nicknames I use to lessen typing, Vee = 2002-2012 DL1000s. Vee2=2014-2016 DL1000s. Wee = 2004-2011 DL650s. Glee = 2012-2016 DL650s
See https://www.stromtrooper.com/general-...nicknames.html

Please vote in the poll on what Strom(s) you have at https://www.stromtrooper.com/informat...-you-have.html
post #6 of 35 Old 11-01-2013, 01:40 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

I would say to build you heated gear up incrementally... i have a full kit as you state minus the insoles. i just use the (disposable toe heaters.)

however i find i rarely use much of it. down to about 32f i find that with my stich darien and ad1's all i need is a base layer,fleece jacket and sweat pants. the heated vest quickly overheats me.
now if i was commuting maybe a heated kit would make more sense but i am almost always traveling and camping while riding in cold weather...so i need a good set of fleece for around camp anyway.

i would say try the jacket or vest and gloves first and see how that works for you.

Hey....did you see something fall off my bike.....other than me.
post #7 of 35 Old 11-01-2013, 01:50 PM
Stromthusiast!

I have the TM Synergy jacket and First Gear gloves. I can run both on high, but when I add the grips it is a little too much. I never had a need for heated pants or soles. Good pants with a quilted liner and good boots with a pair of wool socks work for me . You really don't need the grips. I would get tbe jacket and gloves first and maybe add the pants if you think you will need them.

Kevin

L2 DL650A The Orange Machine
K7 DL650 Hi Yo Silver R.I.P!
post #8 of 35 Old 11-01-2013, 02:02 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrolump View Post
I would say to build you heated gear up incrementally... i have a full kit as you state minus the insoles. i just use the (disposable toe heaters.)

however i find i rarely use much of it. down to about 32f i find that with my stich darien and ad1's all i need is a base layer,fleece jacket and sweat pants. the heated vest quickly overheats me.
now if i was commuting maybe a heated kit would make more sense but i am almost always traveling and camping while riding in cold weather...so i need a good set of fleece for around camp anyway.

i would say try the jacket or vest and gloves first and see how that works for you.

I have Rev'It Goretex jacket and good winter gloves..

I wear a super thin heat thermal shirt and top it off with the super thick and warm UnderArmour thermal long sleeve shirt. The goretex Revit jacket also has a windproof jacket liner. If I am doing under 1 hour of riding than I am good I find that when i am on the superslab my shoulders and arms get kind of chilly.

I don't commute on the super slab but the closest place where I can hit the twisties is 50 miles away of superslab riding.

Unfortunately I don't have very good winter pants from ReviIt. They are somewhat insulated but not that warm which is why I also wear the Underarmour super thick thermals.

I don't know, maybe I will do it incrementally as you suggest.

Hell my Rev'it winter gloves would be sufficient with bark busters even in below 32F. But no more than probably 2 hours.

-12 DL650
post #9 of 35 Old 11-01-2013, 02:09 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by khager View Post
I have the TM Synergy jacket and First Gear gloves. I can run both on high, but when I add the grips it is a little too much. I never had a need for heated pants or soles. Good pants with a quilted liner and good boots with a pair of wool socks work for me . You really don't need the grips. I would get tbe jacket and gloves first and maybe add the pants if you think you will need them.

I think the grips are a bit superfluous once you have the heated gloves.

I think that the boot inserts might not be needed, at least as long as I don't ride sub 32F. Or hit the super slab for prolonged periods of time.

Which brand do you guys recommend more

Gerbings or tourmaster? Anything else?

-12 DL650
post #10 of 35 Old 11-01-2013, 02:13 PM
Stromthusiast!

This is a good conversation to have now!
I just got the Tourmaster Synergy 2.0 vest. It uses up to 48 watts. I don't know if it's built to a higher standard than the original Synergy, but, time will tell. It looks well built. I would happily buy Tourmaster gear over and over because their customer service is great.

Previously I put in the EB PC8 power panel and have the one headlamp kill switch, and therefore the headlight, running on its own circuit. Although I've only run the vest for a couple of days, I've not noticed any power draw concerns with both lights or highbeams on at the same time as the vest.

Another way around the power draw issue is to use battery powered equipment. I use battery heated gloves and they do a great job. There would not be enough use for an all-day ride, but for my commute of under two hours each way, I can keep them charged and running. I use Gerbings built battery powered gloves and love them. So, I've got both brands.

As other comments say, you can add heated gear incrementally. You'll probably find that some step along the way before you get to the full monte that you're warm enough. Wear decent insulated gear and a vest may keep everything warm since your body will be circulating heat. Most brands make systems that daisy chain together. For the Synergy 2.0 for example, I made only one power connection to the relay panel. Then, I could wire the full kit (gloves, pants, vest, insoles, etc...) by plugging one device to another - instructions for this are included with the kit.

Once you go heated I don't think you go back 8-)

We're all here, 'cause we're not all there

Last edited by MrNobody; 11-01-2013 at 02:18 PM. Reason: clarify wiring info
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode