LED fog lights - advice wanted - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 Old 10-31-2013, 02:11 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

LED fog lights - advice wanted

My ride down the Blue Ridge Pkwy convinced me to add some more lighting up front --- especially when caught after dark in fog, rain and dodging roadside deer. I prefer fog lights over driving lights, and prefer LED over halogen due to lower power draw (I ride with heated gear). I plan to buy the SW-Motech aux mounts that are specific to the 2012+ Vstrom. Looking for any advice from riders who have purchased the Denali D1 (which has a 35 degree pattern fog lens as one option) or perhaps the PIAA 530 LED fog lamps. Any advice or suggestions?
A 35w halogen yellow fog lens would be my alternative, probably a PIAA, but am concerned it draws too much power and is probably a much larger housing that would sit too high up on the sides of the bike. My Vulcan Nomad has 35W sealed beam amber bulbs up front, which are great for fog and make the bike much more visible in daytime with the amber spots offseting the white headlight. Thanks for your replies!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 10-31-2013, 02:53 PM
$tromtrooper

Whatever lights you purchase, make sure when they are mounted on the bike, they will not get "smashed" should you drop your bike. I'd hate to spend $200 on lights only to bugger one up when my bike decides to take a nap. I see so many units mounted on the exterior of fork legs........makes me wonder how long they will survive mounted out there?? Same with "Light Bars"......if the units are out past the crash bar impact area, expect to be replacing it (the light) someday??

www.easternvstromrally.com
Over 100 Attendees at the May 2019......already planning it for 2020!!
post #3 of 27 Old 10-31-2013, 03:11 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabreman View Post
My ride down the Blue Ridge Pkwy convinced me to add some more lighting up front --- especially when caught after dark in fog, rain and dodging roadside deer. I prefer fog lights over driving lights, and prefer LED over halogen due to lower power draw (I ride with heated gear). I plan to buy the SW-Motech aux mounts that are specific to the 2012+ Vstrom. Looking for any advice from riders who have purchased the Denali D1
I had the same experience on a similar ride. I've added the D2s to 2 bikes and I have them set to be full on with the high beams, 60% (low) with regular. The Strom's D2s are mounted below my headlights via a TT mount to make a triangular pattern.

They throw a good amount of light to the sides on low and really light up the area when on high. They do dazzle oncoming vehicles because of their lenses, so a high mount didn't work out so well for me.

I've dropped another bike on the D2s where they were mounted in a more precarious position and there has been no damage to them. They are pretty tough. The wiring harness is well made, but I caution against pulling on it - the actual copper inside the insulation is thin and can be pulled out of the fittings.

I've had the lights on my bikes for 2 years with no other negative events. I would buy them again. There are other, equally powerful (or even more powerful) LED lights on the market that you may also want to check out.

Bob
07 Wee
10 NT 700

post #4 of 27 Old 10-31-2013, 03:45 PM
Stromthusiast!

PIAA sez:
"They light the road with brilliant cobalt-blue color"
"Brilliant 6000k Light Output"
PIAA | LP 530 High Intensity LED Fog Light Kit #5370

Bad news in fog. The blue light scatters and creates glare. A yellowish light is much better in fog & haze.
http://www.danielsternlighting.com/t...e/bad/bad.html

All about fog lights:
http://www.danielsternlighting.com/t...fog_lamps.html

"Older people who are reasonable, good-tempered, and gracious will bear aging well. Those who are mean-spirited and irritable will be unhappy at every period of their lives.

"Let each of use properly whatever strengths he has and strive to use them well. If he does this, he will never find himself lacking."

Marcus Tullius Cicero
44 B.C.

Last edited by PTRider; 10-31-2013 at 03:49 PM.
post #5 of 27 Old 10-31-2013, 06:16 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

I would prefer yellow/amber but it seems the LED's are only white --- those for "fog" simply have a wider beam angle (25-35 degrees vs 10 degrees for the "driving" light straight down the road).
Investigating further, I'm now leaning towards a set of Denali DM1's and the Denali fender mount kit, which puts them lower on the bike, closer to the road, and creates a better visibility triangle with the headlights. I don't do much off-roading and am more interested in lights that illuminate what's in front, and the fender mounts will turn with the forks around the corners of the road. The guy at twistedthrottle seemed to think the DM1 would work as well for my purposes as the D1, something about the shape of the refractor --even though by spec the D1 has a larger housing and puts out almost twice the lumens.
Any opinions as between the DM1 and D1???
post #6 of 27 Old 10-31-2013, 07:34 PM
Stromthusiast!

I wouldn't mind replacing the head lights with similar leds to the Ducati 1199. haha.
post #7 of 27 Old 10-31-2013, 08:12 PM
Stromthusiast!

I would love to find some lights like you describe, yellow/amber fog type in a bright LED.

I was all set to remount from my previous bike some sweet Catz lights that have interchangeable bulbs that can be white, amber, white/gold, and on and on. They really lit up the night well and as you want fog lights to, low and wide. I also had a set up higher with white/yellow driving lights for higher up and out lighting with a switch to go between the two or off.

But when I realized the 55 watt power draw would be an issue for the Stroms e-system I had second thoughts.

On my previous ride..

So I settled for some LED visibility lights in amber from Skeene. They don't provide any illumination, but do add visibility during daylight hours which was my main concern.

They need to make a Denali light in amber, simple as that.

Oh and BTW, I've dropped my bike twice (not bragging) and the fork mounted lights have not contacted anything. Now some big 'ole honking large lights might certainly get crunched.

'12 DL650A VStrom
post #8 of 27 Old 11-01-2013, 04:21 AM
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

could you just put amber headlight film on the led fog lights? or do you need amber leds for them to work properly?
post #9 of 27 Old 11-01-2013, 06:37 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabreman View Post
I don't do much off-roading and am more interested in lights that illuminate what's in front, and the fender mounts will turn with the forks around the corners of the road.
So when you counter steer to go around corners at speed, the lights will go in the opposite direction to the bike.
post #10 of 27 Old 11-01-2013, 06:59 AM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oop North John View Post
So when you counter steer to go around corners at speed, the lights will go in the opposite direction to the bike.

what?
how do you get your front wheel to go the opposite of where the bike is going at speed?
you flat tracking in the dirt?

Last edited by nbsdave; 11-01-2013 at 07:04 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode