Throttle lock - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 Old 10-27-2013, 11:56 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Throttle lock

Show yours, what do you like or not.
Any Vista users?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 10-27-2013, 12:15 PM
Stromthusiast!

This is what I use. I made it out of ABS plastic. It works fine for what it is (a chance to rest your throttle hand for a few moments), but it doesn't compare to an actual cruise control. On the plus side, it was cheap, since I had the plastic laying around.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2116.JPG (79.0 KB, 112 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2115resized.jpg (72.3 KB, 95 views)

"No matter where you go, there you are."

Last edited by RCinNC; 10-27-2013 at 12:36 PM.
post #3 of 28 Old 10-27-2013, 12:17 PM
Stromthusiast!

Nice craftsmanship. You obviously put some care into not just function but also appearance.

post #4 of 28 Old 10-27-2013, 12:21 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkayak1 View Post
Nice craftsmanship. You obviously put some care into not just function but also appearance.
Thank you very much, Dkayak. I confess I can't claim inspiration for the design; I saw the Omni cruise (I think that's what it was called) and figured I could make one pretty easily out of laminated plastic.

"No matter where you go, there you are."
post #5 of 28 Old 10-27-2013, 01:00 PM
Stromthusiast!

I'm using a vista cruise because I spent too much money to afford the Kaoko version at the moment. I put it on right before my recent 2900 mile trip through Fl, Ga, SC, NC, Va, & Tn. It worked fine on the way out bud failed to work reliably on the way back. The rubber inserts were too small for the small thin OEM grips so that I had to tighten the set screws too much. During the trip the set screws starting punching their way through the rubber insert it was applying pressure on, reducing tension and allowing it to rotate on the grip when engaged. In the mountain areas such throttle locks are pretty pointless in my opinion anyways but here in South Flatistan they are very useful. They are also very useful crossing other flatlands such as much of Tx, La, Ks, Ne, etc.

Upon returning home I made an arc of flat aluminum and then cut it into three pieces and used them as shims under the set screws. I made them out of one of the fins I busted off of the aluminum heat sinks form an old computer UPS I used to make the mounting brackets for my JCW top box. I'm glad I'd been too lazy to clean off my work bench. The throttle lock worked fine on this weekends 200 mile round trip to Dania Beach Fl.

I've used the universal vista cruise on a couple of other bikes and consider them adequate, but nothing more. I have the Throttlemeister on my old Connie. I like the Kaoko because it's easier to roll with the heel of your hand. I've looked at the Breakaway brand throttle lock too. It appears to be of very high quality and design (and expense) however it doesn't work with heated grips, which my wife has and I'm considering.

I'm toying with the idea of trying Murf's electronic cruise control. However, I would like to first try it on my wife's 09 Versys so I could steal her Kaoko throttle lock, that she's skeered of.

. . . . . BIKES . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . DL650 FARKLES
2013 DL650 Adventure . . . . . . BB VPS, HT Center Stand,
2009 DR650, 2009 DRZ400 . . . .Kaoko, Oxford Grips.
2002 ZG1000, 1999 DR350 . . . .EB PC-8, ABS Switch &
-Some others long gone-. . . . . Headlight Relay Kit.
75&77 CB400F, 78 GS550 . . . . AdvTech Fork Brace,
---- First Bike ----. . . . . . . . . Peg Lowering Kit,
------ 1973 ------. . . . . . . . . Aux Shelf & Over Dash Shelf.
-- Suzuki T-500 --. . . . . . . . . E. G. Bash Plate & Hwy Pegs
post #6 of 28 Old 10-27-2013, 03:52 PM
$tromtrooper

There should have been 2 inserts in the package 1 thin and 1 thick rubber inserts. The thick one is what I used with the stock grips. When I installed a set of Oxford Heaterz grips I used the thin insert.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post
I'm using a vista cruise because I spent too much money to afford the Kaoko version at the moment. I put it on right before my recent 2900 mile trip through Fl, Ga, SC, NC, Va, & Tn. It worked fine on the way out bud failed to work reliably on the way back. The rubber inserts were too small for the small thin OEM grips so that I had to tighten the set screws too much. During the trip the set screws starting punching their way through the rubber insert it was applying pressure on, reducing tension and allowing it to rotate on the grip when engaged. In the mountain areas such throttle locks are pretty pointless in my opinion anyways but here in South Flatistan they are very useful. They are also very useful crossing other flatlands such as much of Tx, La, Ks, Ne, etc.

Upon returning home I made an arc of flat aluminum and then cut it into three pieces and used them as shims under the set screws. I made them out of one of the fins I busted off of the aluminum heat sinks form an old computer UPS I used to make the mounting brackets for my JCW top box. I'm glad I'd been too lazy to clean off my work bench. The throttle lock worked fine on this weekends 200 mile round trip to Dania Beach Fl.

I've used the universal vista cruise on a couple of other bikes and consider them adequate, but nothing more. I have the Throttlemeister on my old Connie. I like the Kaoko because it's easier to roll with the heel of your hand. I've looked at the Breakaway brand throttle lock too. It appears to be of very high quality and design (and expense) however it doesn't work with heated grips, which my wife has and I'm considering.

I'm toying with the idea of trying Murf's electronic cruise control. However, I would like to first try it on my wife's 09 Versys so I could steal her Kaoko throttle lock, that she's skeered of.
post #7 of 28 Old 10-27-2013, 04:02 PM
Stromthusiast!

Yeah, and I did use the thick one. I feel my fix is an improvement anyways.

. . . . . BIKES . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . DL650 FARKLES
2013 DL650 Adventure . . . . . . BB VPS, HT Center Stand,
2009 DR650, 2009 DRZ400 . . . .Kaoko, Oxford Grips.
2002 ZG1000, 1999 DR350 . . . .EB PC-8, ABS Switch &
-Some others long gone-. . . . . Headlight Relay Kit.
75&77 CB400F, 78 GS550 . . . . AdvTech Fork Brace,
---- First Bike ----. . . . . . . . . Peg Lowering Kit,
------ 1973 ------. . . . . . . . . Aux Shelf & Over Dash Shelf.
-- Suzuki T-500 --. . . . . . . . . E. G. Bash Plate & Hwy Pegs
post #8 of 28 Old 10-27-2013, 04:09 PM
Stromthusiast!

I use a Kaoko in combination with BarkBuster handguards. The Kaoko moves the right handguard about an inch to the right, so it made clearing the master brake cylinder difficult until I purchased an additional piece to allow the handguard to clear the brake line. Once I got arounnd the mounting issue the throttle lock solution has been flawless.

2012 DL650A Adv.
post #9 of 28 Old 10-27-2013, 06:54 PM
Stromthusiast!

This one I made for my 2008 wee

Some of the 19 rides in my shed
2014 V2, Snoopy
2009 Wee, Pumbaa the pig
WR450F, The Blue Postie Bike
YZ250N smoker with rego, Stinky.
Yamaha MT09 (FZ09), The Scud missile.
Club Lead not Club Med.
He with the most toys wins.
Out of my depth in a puddle.
Live life on the edge you will see more that way.
Ridding a motorcycle keeps things in balance.
At the end of each trail and at the end of each day history is made.
post #10 of 28 Old 10-27-2013, 07:42 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Vista cruise is AWESOME, love mine to death and works like a charm.

BRIAN "GO Buckeyes, GO Wildcats"!

2015 DL650 XT "Hector"

1997 Honda Valkyrie 1500 custom “Dolores”

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode